Penzance-Lostwithiel and/or Bodmin Parkway-Plymouth

You are here: Home > Forum > Wishlist > Simulation wish list > Penzance-Lostwithiel and/or Bodmin Parkway-Plymouth

Page 1 of 1

Penzance-Lostwithiel and/or Bodmin Parkway-Plymouth 06/04/2010 at 15:13 #1069
corsa319
4 posts
Hello
I think that there should be the penzance-lostwithiel and plymouth-bodmin parkway added to SimSig (to connect with exeter). I thought Penzance would be a good idea because it has.......
    A reasonably busy mainline with express and commuter services
    several TMD's and depots (eg: penzance depot)
    three branch lines (st ives, newquay and falmouth branches) provideing shuttle services up and down so there is always something to do
    two freight only lines (st austell+lostwithiel)

my second idea was Lostwithiel-Plymouth (which hopefully could be connected to penzance and exeter)
i thought this would be good because......
    main line with a single track section at saltash to go over the bridge
    two branches (looe and gunnislake) once again adding almost permamant traffic
    a middle sized terminus station (plymouth)
    a vast range of transportation (light trains, commuter, main line, heavy goods

im not an expert on the area so feel free to comment.
i wasnt sure how big this sim would be so i decided to split it into 2 different sims but one would also be fine.
here is a map of both areas... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/CornwallOldRailwayMap.gif

Penzance-Lostwithiel and/or Bodmin Parkway-Plymouth 06/04/2010 at 15:13 #8218
corsa319
4 posts
Hello
I think that there should be the penzance-lostwithiel and plymouth-bodmin parkway added to SimSig (to connect with exeter). I thought Penzance would be a good idea because it has.......
    A reasonably busy mainline with express and commuter services
    several TMD's and depots (eg: penzance depot)
    three branch lines (st ives, newquay and falmouth branches) provideing shuttle services up and down so there is always something to do
    two freight only lines (st austell+lostwithiel)

my second idea was Lostwithiel-Plymouth (which hopefully could be connected to penzance and exeter)
i thought this would be good because......
    main line with a single track section at saltash to go over the bridge
    two branches (looe and gunnislake) once again adding almost permamant traffic
    a middle sized terminus station (plymouth)
    a vast range of transportation (light trains, commuter, main line, heavy goods

im not an expert on the area so feel free to comment.
i wasnt sure how big this sim would be so i decided to split it into 2 different sims but one would also be fine.
here is a map of both areas... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/CornwallOldRailwayMap.gif

Penzance-Lostwithiel and/or Bodmin Parkway-Plymouth 06/04/2010 at 17:18 #8229
UKTrainMan
1803 posts
+1 for this idea, Penzance is such a nice area and simulating it in SimSig would bring back a number of memories for me. I remember when I took the train down to St. Ives (and no, I didn't meet a man with seven wives!). I also like the idea of signalling trains over that famous bridge at Saltash.
Any views and / or opinions expressed by myself are from me personally and do not represent those of any company I either work for or am a consultant for.
Penzance-Lostwithiel and/or Bodmin Parkway-Plymouth 06/04/2010 at 18:40 #8230
corsa319
4 posts
thanks
i was thinking that one of the main problems i get on some of these sims is you get a lot of up an down periods so you have 20 trains then 5 mins later nothing to do, whereas down in cornwall there are a lot of 2-20 mile branch lines constantly shuttling up and down. For example the st ives train passes every 25 minutes past my house and frequently you can hear train horns from the mainline. Also to add interest there is a lot of level crossings around here and light loco shunting in and around the depots. As on the exeter sim there is bits of sea wall in penzance which could cause problems for the controller. The saltash bridge would be great fun getting a lot of traffic onto the single track.
ill have a look round and see if i can find out anything else about the area.

Penzance-Lostwithiel and/or Bodmin Parkway-Plymouth 06/04/2010 at 19:02 #8231
corsa319
4 posts
i geuss there is a lot of nostalgia about this area with childhood holidays and all of that!
Penzance-Lostwithiel and/or Bodmin Parkway-Plymouth 06/04/2010 at 19:51 #8233
Zoe
251 posts
Bodmin Parkway itself should be part of Loswithiel, as the line to Largin is controlled by a panel in Lostwithiel box.

If you wanted a split it would be far more logical to have Plymouth PSB (this controls the line as far as St Germans) and then a separate sim for the area controlled by the mechanical boxes down to Penzance (Liskeard, Lostwithiel, Par, Truro, Roskear Junction, St Erth and Penzance), you also have St Blazey and Goonbarrow Junction on the Newquay branch.

Note also that I'm simply explaining the situation here, I'm not in any way suggesting there should be a SimSig for this area.

Penzance-Lostwithiel and/or Bodmin Parkway-Plymouth 07/04/2010 at 16:33 #8242
Quizman
276 posts
For me a 'heritage' sim of the area would be wonderful, born in Saltash I have a number of signal box diagrams/timetables for the Plymouth to Par area upto late 50's early 60's yes! steam in its heyday. I fear that the modern scenario would be a tad mundane with very little freight these days and not an intensive passenger service. Now - bring in functioning steam sheds at Laira and St. Blazey plus loco run rounds at Plymouth maybe even a turntable. Now that would be nostalgia! Anyway perchance to dream.
p.s. Yes I did get the old SIAM 1957 Plymouth DOS sim in case someone wanted to remind me but where that has disappeared to gawd only knows, probably dumped along with the BBC Acorn computer LOL

Penzance-Lostwithiel and/or Bodmin Parkway-Plymouth 07/04/2010 at 22:15 #8247
rosters 82a
6 posts
A heritage Sim 1950 - 1960 would have to include the following lines around Plymouth:
Plymouth Friary to Okehampton
Plymouth Friary to Turnchapel
Plymouth Friary to Yealmpton
Plymouth North Road to Millbay
Plymouth North Road to Tavistock via Yelverton
Yelverton to Princetown
Plymouth Friary Shed ,Goods Yard & Harbour Lines.

This would make a busy Simulation around the Plymouth Area especially with the GWR and SR fighting for paths into North Road Station.

Penzance-Lostwithiel and/or Bodmin Parkway-Plymouth 26/09/2010 at 14:47 #11723
Sam Tugwell
493 posts
A good idea for a sim
"Signalman Exeter"
Penzance-Lostwithiel and/or Bodmin Parkway-Plymouth 25/02/2011 at 20:59 #13792
pedroathome
889 posts
Would there be any way to do a heritage railway simulation, such as the West Somerset Railway, or Paignton & Dartmouth line. I think that these would be good simulations to have, and possibly even being able to connect to the Exeter Panel. I would name some other lines, but these would be in my opinion some of the better ones.