Upcoming Events

No events to display

South Wales area

You are here: Home > Forum > Wishlist > Simulation wish list > South Wales area

Page 1 of 1

South Wales area 06/03/2010 at 00:16 #813
UKTrainMan
1803 posts
Any chance of a sim covering somewhere in South Wales, ideally the Newport area? The reason I say this is that my late grandmother used to live there so many many fond memories and my late grandad once worked at the old depot/yard at Severn Tunnel Junction too so that place has a special meaning for me. This could of-course be chained up with the rather excellent Bristol sim.

Also, Newport gets a lot of freight workings so it would be another great sim requiring players to carefully regulate freights in-between Class 1 and Class 2 passenger services. Additionally, correct me if I am wrong here but this could be the first sim to cover Wales?

As usual, all comments welcome.

Rather oddly, all sentences above either began with an A or a T

Any views and / or opinions expressed by myself are from me personally and do not represent those of any company I either work for or am a consultant for.
South Wales area 06/03/2010 at 13:28 #7120
Tristan
60 posts
I personally think a simulation for south Wales would be really good.

However the developers are working on lots of other areas at the moment, furthermore the South Wales area resignaling scheme is replacing all/most of the current signaling therefore there may be a conflict of intrest as to if it is possible for Simsig to simulate this area.

South Wales area 11/03/2010 at 14:33 #7216
Forest Pines
525 posts
The Bristol sim already covers a tiny tiny part of the South Wales resignalling area! A combined Cardiff/Newport/Park Jn sim would be rather nice, especially if it chained on to both Bristol and Gloucester.
South Wales area 14/03/2010 at 17:21 #7292
Jan
889 posts
Another nice thing would be if the Valley Lines could all end up on one simulation, so that those services never leave the area, just like the inner suburbans in King's Cross and the local services on the NLL do (I think the Exmouth/Barnstaple/Paignton services belong in this category, too, but I'm not really sure).
Two million people attempt to use Birmingham's magnificent rail network every year, with just over a million of them managing to get further than Smethwick.
South Wales area 17/03/2010 at 07:54 #7325
welshdragon
315 posts
The Valley Lines are controlled by several areas:
Cardiff Signalling Centre
Heath Junction Signalbox
Radyr Junction Signalling Centre
Bargoed Signalbox
Ystrad Mynach Signalbox
Newport Park Junction signalbox

i think the Signalling centres will be a no go.... unless I'm mistaken?

South Wales area 17/03/2010 at 12:39 #7330
TomOF
452 posts
You're not mistaken. There may be a possiblity of doing a 'past' version of Cardiff, Newport etc depending on how much changes.
South Wales area 17/03/2010 at 19:29 #7335
JamesN
1575 posts
Cardiff is okay at the moment, but when it moves into SWSCC it'll probably be a nogo.

Newport should be ok aswell, as sig works and recotnrol were only very recent... so it won't be a massively old layout...

South Wales area 17/03/2010 at 20:41 #7337
Adrian the Rock
111 posts
welshdragon said:
The Valley Lines are controlled by several areas:
Cardiff Signalling Centre
Heath Junction Signalbox
Radyr Junction Signalling Centre
Bargoed Signalbox
Ystrad Mynach Signalbox
Newport Park Junction signalbox

Aren't you forgetting Abercynon Portacabin boyo?

South Wales area 15/08/2010 at 15:54 #10735
Sam Tugwell
493 posts
South Wales would be absolutely manic though, all sorts of freight go through it.

Good points: It would (if stretched far enough) connect with bristol at the Severn Tunnel, which could eventually with the creation of a Reading sim, create a long line of chains of sims.
Bad points: I think it would be too busy for 1 person to control.

Personally, a good idea, should be considered

"Signalman Exeter"
South Wales area 09/09/2010 at 19:15 #11335
Chrisrail
384 posts
According to the signalman and MOM when I was in Gresty Lane box the New South Wales (as in Wales, not Australia) will stretch as far north as Nantwich. Pity the MOM who has to go right up there
South Wales area 13/09/2010 at 16:20 #11438
GMac
71 posts
It won't cover the entire Marches line just yet mind, just the Shrewsbury to Nantwich section. That stretch is currently all AB with boxes at several stations (mainly controlling level crossings) - according to a recent RAIL mag article, several are close to life expired, so NR want to use it to try out some new modular signalling kit (Ely to Norwich is line for something similar apparently). Why they want to supervise it from Cardiff rather than Crewe though escapes me (although if the rest of the route eventually follows suit it'd make sense I suppose).

GM

South Wales area 16/09/2010 at 12:43 #11508
Adrian the Rock
111 posts
The prime user of the Shrewsbury-Crewe line nowadays is Anglia Trains Wales (more accurately, the Wales & Borders franchise). They run both the Manchester - Milford semi-fasts and the local Crewe-Shrewsbury stoppers. So putting it onto SWCC does make sense. In the longer term this is also planned to absorb Newport-Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury-Saltney, Wrexham-Bidston and the Cambrian lines.
South Wales area 17/09/2010 at 15:21 #11549
Zoe
251 posts
Adrian the Rock said:
The prime user of the Shrewsbury-Crewe line nowadays is Anglia Trains Wales.

I'd be very surprised if "Anglia Trains" ran in Wales so I take that to be Arriva.

Re: South Wales area 14/08/2011 at 13:03 #19403
DaveHarries
1267 posts
I agree that a South Wales sim would be great. There is a potential for three separate SIMs becuase of the number of panels that could exist. To that end, why not have two to start with:

Southeast Wales (Newport - Severn Tunnel West + Ebbw Vale line + line to Lydney)
Southwest Wales (Clarbeston Road, Whitland, Tenby, Ferryside, Carmarthen Jcn)

In SW Wales, Clarbeston Road can include the OTW to / from Fishguard & Milford Haven while Whitland would also include the point indicators at Tenby along with trains to / from Pembroke Dock as well as Milford and Fishguard. Ferryside is fully mechanical while both Whitland and Carmarthen Junction are partly mechanical and partly MAS.

As for SE Wales, you have the mainline trains along with the crossing box at Bishton (token release with manual gates). I hear that Lydney is up for abolition in, I believe, 2012.

Dave

Re: South Wales area 24/09/2011 at 21:41 #21257
MattShrew1
4 posts
EDIT: i thought i hit the Quote button, but here goes anyway........... Qutoting Chrisrails post. Yep thats not entirely correct though.

Shrewsbury to Crewe is undergoing a Resignalling scheme now. which untill 2025 Crewe will control to Crewe Bank Junction box limits, Shrewsbury.

Mechanical Boxes will remain in Shrewsbury till atleast 2025.

Before then Wolverhampton, and Madley junction (Salop) will transfer to Saltley, Leaving Abbeyforgate East (Holywell Street) the only mechanical box on the Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton line.

the Resignalling of Newport, Cardiff and Swansea will tie up with the Welsh Marches upto Sutton Bridge Junction.

I could be Wrong but they are Leaving Shrewsbury till last as its a complex job which would require alot of work.

Last edited: 24/09/2011 at 21:43 by MattShrew1
Re: South Wales area 24/09/2011 at 23:16 #21259
ewanm89
19 posts
" said:

Mechanical Boxes will remain in Shrewsbury till atleast 2025.
Mechanical or power frame (levers which operate electric points and signals)? I didn't think there was any semaphore (mechanical) signals left on the network rail network?

Last edited: 24/09/2011 at 23:17 by ewanm89
Re: South Wales area 25/09/2011 at 09:07 #21261
Underwood
746 posts
Oh yes, and I think Shrewsbury has had a 'new' semaphore too.

Other places with semaphores include Yeovil Pen Mill, Tondu (Maesteg branch from Bridgend), Truro, St Erth and other points on the Cornish mainline, Barnham, Chichester, Bognor Regis, and a lot of places on the South Coast and Arun Valey, Lewes, Eastbourne, Hastings (The last two I think still have?) and that's the ones I can think of at the top of my head.

There are Semaphores if you know where to look

Re: South Wales area 25/09/2011 at 09:37 #21262
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
Loads of boxes in Scotland.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Re: South Wales area 25/09/2011 at 11:06 #21263
ewanm89
19 posts
Okay, fine, so let me do the math, come 2025 when they are planning on removing these mechanical signals it'll be 181 year old technology.
Anyway, couldn't we do this in stages, replace the signal with lights and connect the rod to the switch, then get the board and interlockings ready to change? But they probably want to change the whole signalling layout too?

Re: South Wales area 25/09/2011 at 11:51 #21264
jc92
3629 posts
" said:
Oh yes, and I think Shrewsbury has had a 'new' semaphore too.

Other places with semaphores include Yeovil Pen Mill, Tondu (Maesteg branch from Bridgend), Truro, St Erth and other points on the Cornish mainline, Barnham, Chichester, Bognor Regis, and a lot of places on the South Coast and Arun Valey, Lewes, Eastbourne, Hastings (The last two I think still have?) and that's the ones I can think of at the top of my head.

There are Semaphores if you know where to look ;)
barnham and bognor are now controlled by barnham SCC and is all TCB with MAS signalling, ditto with lewes

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Re: South Wales area 25/09/2011 at 15:23 #21273
postman
47 posts
I thought the South wales signalling centre in cardiff is controlling the Crewe Bank to Gresty Lane
Re: South Wales area 25/09/2011 at 18:33 #21282
DriverCurran
683 posts
With the exception of Eastbourne and Bo-Peep Junction, Berwick to Hastings is mostly semaphore, although Hampden Park and Hastings are now mostly coloured lights with small pockets of semaphore working.

Paul

You have to get a red before you can get any other colour