Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Routin to the 'wrong' line on double-track sections

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Exeter > Routin to the 'wrong' line on double-track sections

Page 1 of 1

Routin to the 'wrong' line on double-track sections 11/04/2011 at 15:58 #2809
Easternmost
15 posts
Hi. I came across a typical routing problem while playing Exeter (and other sims as well).

Double-tracked lines there have several criss-cross intersections with 4 sets of points. E.g., Wellington, Tiverton 63-UM178. I tried to use that intersections for routing trains onto a "wrong' line for overtaking in the same direction, avoidin troubled block etc. Exactly like they do it IRL. Some of those x-crossings have appropriate signals, others arrange only by manual changing of the points. Anyway it is possible to send trains across such crossings by either routesetting, or radio SPAD commands

However, on some manually-set points trains are "refusing" to proceed to the opposite directed-line, indicating "Run out of valid track". Is it for purpose (like simulating of real-life layout), or am I doing smthing wrong with train control?

I've screenshot a section of Exeter with sticker explaining the results of my experimental train-directing.Host for your pictures

Routin to the 'wrong' line on double-track sections 11/04/2011 at 15:58 #14983
Easternmost
15 posts
Hi. I came across a typical routing problem while playing Exeter (and other sims as well).

Double-tracked lines there have several criss-cross intersections with 4 sets of points. E.g., Wellington, Tiverton 63-UM178. I tried to use that intersections for routing trains onto a "wrong' line for overtaking in the same direction, avoidin troubled block etc. Exactly like they do it IRL. Some of those x-crossings have appropriate signals, others arrange only by manual changing of the points. Anyway it is possible to send trains across such crossings by either routesetting, or radio SPAD commands

However, on some manually-set points trains are "refusing" to proceed to the opposite directed-line, indicating "Run out of valid track". Is it for purpose (like simulating of real-life layout), or am I doing smthing wrong with train control?

I've screenshot a section of Exeter with sticker explaining the results of my experimental train-directing.Host for your pictures

Routin to the 'wrong' line on double-track sections 11/04/2011 at 16:26 #14986
AndyG
1834 posts
It depends on whether the developer has coded a TC for running in that direction.

'Run out of valid track' means that that TC is not available for use (in the simulation).

I can only help one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
Routin to the 'wrong' line on double-track sections 11/04/2011 at 16:41 #14987
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
Nowadays if a sub-route is not coded a default setting is applied (40mph I believe). I hand coded all of Edinburgh to be "bi-di" only for this to happen.

Some Sims have now got Ground frames coded which also assist but as far as I know only Cambridge has the full pilotman scenario and you have to select it. Whether one day it'll be possible to do pilotmen .on the fly is one for another day.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Routin to the 'wrong' line on double-track sections 11/04/2011 at 16:42 #14989
Easternmost
15 posts
AndyG said:
developer has coded a TC

Is that for "track circuit"?

Routin to the 'wrong' line on double-track sections 11/04/2011 at 20:16 #15002
Lardybiker
771 posts
Ok...the answers so far have been a bit technical so I'll try and convert that into usable speak.

The "run out of track error" usually (but not always) happens when you try to send a train down somewhere it's not expected to go so in answer to your question, yes, you are doing something wrong I am afraid. Its the equivalent of attempting to drive south on the northbound carriageway of a motorway!

What you are attempting would not be done in practice without some very specific special instructions unless the line has been specifically signaled as bi-directional with signals for trains traveling in both directions on the same line which in the case of the example you show, it has not (an example where it is is the Bath section of line on the Bristol sim if memory serves). Under normal running, the down line would not be used for an up direction train and vice versa, for the purposes of passing one train with another as there are no signals in that direction to control a train movement. How does it know it the line ahead is clear or not?

For wrong line running, there are special instructions that allow, under certain circumstances, for this type of move to be done (as can be seen in the pilotman scenario on Cambridge) but otherwise this is not something you should do. If you need to pass one train with another, you as the signaler should arrange to do it at a convenient location such as a goods loop or a station. If not the train behind will just have to wait.

As for the crossovers, they exists as part of the track layout no doubt but just because they are there does not mean the sim should/does use them. They may have been left after some engineering works for example.

Routin to the 'wrong' line on double-track sections 11/04/2011 at 22:27 #15004
clive
2738 posts
To expand a bit on Peter's comment that "if a sub-route is not coded a default setting is applied (40mph I believe)" ...

Each track circuit has one or more "sub-routes" through it - paths from one end-point to another. The two sub-routes, in opposite directions, between the same two end-points are called "parallel sub-routes" (though a mathematician would point out that they are actually anti-parallel).

If only one of a pair of parallel sub-routes is coded into the simulation, then the other is added automatically with the same length and electrification, converse gradients, and either the same speed limit or a limit of 40mph, whichever is lower. However, if neither of the pair has been coded, then nothing is added at all.

So where there's a crossover, it's possible that one direction has been coded in, in which case the other will appear automatically. But it might be that neither direction has been included. Or, perhaps a better example, if you have a ladder of crossovers then the centre tracks might be coded for straight along and for over the ladder, but not for entering or leaving the ladder.

If no sub-route is coded then, when the points are swung that way, the train will report that it's run out of track.

Routin to the 'wrong' line on double-track sections 12/04/2011 at 07:30 #15019
Easternmost
15 posts
Ah... now I see.

Well, it only adds to the challenge and gaming experience.