Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Problem at Longannet

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Edinburgh > Problem at Longannet

Page 1 of 1

Problem at Longannet 03/11/2011 at 23:21 #22455
nnr
167 posts
Sorry to be a pain, but i've searched the Forum and can't find an answer.

I send a train to Longannet and it gets stuck in the queue berth at the end of the line! It's not in the train list any more, but it prevents trains coming from Longannet. I cannot of course cancel it in the queue berth

The box keep phoning ad nauseam to tell me "0LXX" is leaving Alloa, but no train passes Longannet box.

I can still send more trains to Alloa, but they all get stuck, overwriting th last train to get stuck.........

Bit frustrating acn anyone please help!!

[attachment=133]EdinburghScreenGrab.pdf[/attachment]

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Last edited: 03/11/2011 at 23:23 by nnr
Reason: Wrong file format for attachment

Re: Problem at Longannet 03/11/2011 at 23:27 #22456
jc92
3629 posts
was a phonecall placed to inform longannet a train was coming?
"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
The following user said thank you: nnr
Re: Problem at Longannet 03/11/2011 at 23:28 #22457
nnr
167 posts
Yes, each and every time.
Re: Problem at Longannet 04/11/2011 at 06:42 #22459
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
First the fact that the TD is stuck there will not affect the running of the trains as such.
Second, can I have a step by step account of what you did and what was supposed to happen
Third what does the f2 train list say about train on that bit of line?

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Re: Problem at Longannet 04/11/2011 at 07:16 #22460
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
I think what's happened is you've made too many phonecalls to advise of trains to Alloa and not enough trains have been sent so it's still waiting for one or more and blocks the line from Alloa. It will reset after 90 minutes of last call. Advising of the same train twice counts as 2 calls. I'll look into the TD issue as that's a presentational issue.

Peter

Re: Problem at Longannet 04/11/2011 at 22:14 #22493
nnr
167 posts
Hi Peter,

Everything appeared to work ok until around mid - morning when 1L06 got stuck at the queue berth. I right - clicked to check the timetable for the arrival time at Alloa but it had passed and the train never actually "arrived" at Alloa.

Longannet then phoned for a down train. Answered phone "ok", no problem.

10 mins later, longannet rings again asking for same train, again answered "ok"

Eventually after 6 calls I ignored the phone and the message description in all but the last call changed to "awaiting reply" The message box was full of calls from Longannet!!

Please see file attached!

Hope you can help,

Neil

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Re: Problem at Longannet 04/11/2011 at 22:41 #22496
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
That's a slightly different issue- lets get to the bottom of the first bit.
You send a trains to Alloa and the TD sticks in the berth- yes? But does the train actually get to Alloa itself? Ie does it fall off the f2 list? You then say that you can send more trains to Alloa but they stick- do you mean the TD sticks but the trains fall off as before- or do they stick in-sim (f2)? If they are sticking in-sim then that's a problem- if it's just the TD then that's a cosmetic issue (though on may panels you have a "last train sent" anyway).

Supposing that's all OK then you are getting calls saying that there is a train due from Alloa that never enters- Yes? If that is the case then try waiting 90 minutes and see what happens. If it enters then the problem was you made too many calls for trains to Alloa. If not then that's a problem.

The fact that you get endless calls is a problem in itself which I'll need to investigate.

Peter

Re: Problem at Longannet 04/11/2011 at 23:26 #22500
nnr
167 posts
Peter

Yes, when I send trains to aslloa they stick in the berth, but fall off the F2 train list.

Yes, I can send more trains, but the TD sticks in the berth.

They do not stick in SIM. (f2 checks they don't)

Yes, I get a call from Longannet saying 1XXX will be passed to me and it never arrives.

Yes, i've waited 90 mins (see the attachment - the last call is over 90mins form the first.

I've only made 1 call per train to Alloa. (what would happen if I forgot to call and the train bimbled away to Alloa without a warning from me??)

Yes, I thouight the endless calls odd, especially with the "Awaiting reply" message.

Thanks for your time on this.

Regards

Neil

Re: Problem at Longannet 04/11/2011 at 23:42 #22501
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
If you don't place the call at all you get a ticking off and the possibility of gridlock- there's something in the manual about it.

I think I may have the answer to why it does not enter- normal Sim logic cancels any train that's not entered within 15 mins of due time. That prevents 100s of train entering if you start the timetable late- as used to happen! So if all the trains you've sent have prevented the other train running for over 15 mins it'll never enter (or that's my understanding). Is the offending train greyed out in the timetable?

The repetitive calls is another matter which will require some thought.

Peter

Re: Problem at Longannet 05/11/2011 at 07:53 #22502
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
" said:
If you don't place the call at all you get a ticking off and the possibility of gridlock- there's something in the manual about it.

I think I may have the answer to why it does not enter- normal Sim logic cancels any train that's not entered within 15 mins of due time. That prevents 100s of train entering if you start the timetable late- as used to happen! So if all the trains you've sent have prevented the other train running for over 15 mins it'll never enter (or that's my understanding). Is the offending train greyed out in the timetable?

The repetitive calls is another matter which will require some thought.

Peter
No that's not it, I've blocked a train for over an hour and it still entered.

Re: Problem at Longannet 05/11/2011 at 12:43 #22506
nnr
167 posts
Peter

I'm re - starting the SIM and i'll do a savegame if and wehn it blocks up.

Neil

Re: Problem at Longannet 05/11/2011 at 13:27 #22507
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
Trouble is I can only run the save on the released sim and I don't have a debug version that old.

The logic is fairly simple - the basic state is that you can send a train to Alloa and receive at train from Alloa at the same time- you get Gridlock but there is nothing to stop that unless you follow the procedure.

Train entering at Alloa will only inhibit the ARS at Charlestown so any Gridlock can't be blamed on ARS.

Trains for Alloa - you make a call and a block on entry is made at Alloa the block tests for a flag state not being 0 where the flagstate = (Calls made - (trains sent + calls cancelled). Entry is also blocked by train in-section Alloa to Longannet.

That is all there is which is why I'm a bit perplexed as to why you have the problem you do.

I'm not sure what sort of timetable you are running but in reality the only trains that currently cross are special workings and I am told that the procedure between the boxes is one of applying common sense using courtesy phonecalls- hence the simplicity of the Sim. I'm sure if there proposed passenger service ever gets off the ground different procedures will be applied. So it maybe you also need to look at the timetable you are running and make sure you are not overloading the line.

The matter of the TD and the repetitive calls are separate issues that are more cosmetic in nature and should not cause the failed entry difficulty.

Peter

Re: Problem at Longannet 05/11/2011 at 15:08 #22514
nnr
167 posts
Hi peter,

I've restarted the SIM and i'll submit a savegame if and when the problem reoccurs.

Regards

Neil

Re: Problem at Longannet 05/11/2011 at 15:48 #22516
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
Looks like I've found a solution to the repeat calls now.
Re: Problem at Longannet 05/11/2011 at 23:31 #22546
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
And the TD stepping- CSCOT similarly amended.

Peter

Re: Problem at Longannet 06/11/2011 at 10:07 #22559
nnr
167 posts
Ooops - semed to repeat myself there.

I'm running the Gleneagles Diversion timetable, hence the number of passenger trains on the Alloa line.

The current run of the Sim is at 17.00 and so far the problem has not repeated itself, but the TD still sticks in the berth for trains sent in the up direction - down trains clear the berth and the TD steps down on the branch as it should, clearing away any "stuck" TD which was there.

Again, many thanks for your time on this, Peter.

Regards

Neil

Last edited: 06/11/2011 at 10:08 by nnr
Reason: Forgot a fact

Re: Problem at Longannet 06/11/2011 at 11:06 #22560
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
That's OK, seem to have identified a couple of problems now fixed even if the main issue seems to have gone away.

Peter

Re: Problem at Longannet 12/11/2011 at 12:00 #22789
nnr
167 posts
Peter,

Sim has now run to the end and the repeat phone calls have not re - occurred.

Situation now stands as in post No. 16, EXCEPT the last up train's TD did not "stick" in the berth!

Many thanks for your help.

Neil