Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

[NotABug] Possible bug with Signal #2

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Wembley Suburban > [NotABug] Possible bug with Signal #2

Page 1 of 1

[NotABug] Possible bug with Signal #2 15/09/2010 at 04:54 #1765
UKTrainMan
1803 posts
Myself and a mate, who is not registered (yet...), were playing through the default timetable (Summer 2006) and we had arranged a split at Wembley Central for the areas of control, meaning I controlled from Signal 41 and he controlled from Signal 42 and also controlled Stonebridge Park depot.

Later on into the game train K201-3 (formed from J201-2, which is in-turn formed from S201-1) was approaching Queen's Park* and my mate accidentally signalled the train towards London Euston, instead of into the LU Platforms (Platform 2, in this case). As the train got to Signal 8 (it wasn't safe to cancel the wrong route before-hand without causing an ACOA), Signal 2 immediately turned to red and eventually the driver of train K201-3 called in to report the wrong route. The train was told to wait 5 minutes for correct route to be set, as you might expect, the wrong route was cancelled and the correct route was set, which the train took without any further problems affecting it.

However, Signal 2 remained at red and would not revert to yellow or green. All future trains in that direction had to be PSADed passed said signal, although later on I worked out it was possible to use F11 to instruct the train to pass the signal irrespective of the aspect, which did help to minimize delays but the signal still remained at red. I even tried to activate and then deactivate the ERS and even 'Hold at red' on the signal via F11 but that didn't help matters, signal remained at red.

I have my suspicions that this could be a bug, however I wonder if this could be one of those annoying 'features' (like the ground frames at Chesterfield) and there is (or was) something I need to do to restore the signal back to it's normal working.

Either way, I thought I should report this matter to see what the outcome is. I have a manual save (as opposed to an auto save/'snapshot'taken after this problem arose and I could send it to someone to help with debugging, or alternatively you would probably be able to recreate this suspected bug by starting the simulation at 05:02 and playing it through until K201-3 is approaching Queen's Park, at which point you just need to wrong-route it for the bug to occur.

As usual, thanks in advance for replies.

* = Whilst typing up this post, I've noticed that it's spelt as "Queens Park" on the simulation, but the London Underground map and the London Connections map spells it as "Queen's Park"?!!

Any views and / or opinions expressed by myself are from me personally and do not represent those of any company I either work for or am a consultant for.
[NotABug] Possible bug with Signal #2 15/09/2010 at 04:54 #11457
UKTrainMan
1803 posts
Myself and a mate, who is not registered (yet...), were playing through the default timetable (Summer 2006) and we had arranged a split at Wembley Central for the areas of control, meaning I controlled from Signal 41 and he controlled from Signal 42 and also controlled Stonebridge Park depot.

Later on into the game train K201-3 (formed from J201-2, which is in-turn formed from S201-1) was approaching Queen's Park* and my mate accidentally signalled the train towards London Euston, instead of into the LU Platforms (Platform 2, in this case). As the train got to Signal 8 (it wasn't safe to cancel the wrong route before-hand without causing an ACOA), Signal 2 immediately turned to red and eventually the driver of train K201-3 called in to report the wrong route. The train was told to wait 5 minutes for correct route to be set, as you might expect, the wrong route was cancelled and the correct route was set, which the train took without any further problems affecting it.

However, Signal 2 remained at red and would not revert to yellow or green. All future trains in that direction had to be PSADed passed said signal, although later on I worked out it was possible to use F11 to instruct the train to pass the signal irrespective of the aspect, which did help to minimize delays but the signal still remained at red. I even tried to activate and then deactivate the ERS and even 'Hold at red' on the signal via F11 but that didn't help matters, signal remained at red.

I have my suspicions that this could be a bug, however I wonder if this could be one of those annoying 'features' (like the ground frames at Chesterfield) and there is (or was) something I need to do to restore the signal back to it's normal working.

Either way, I thought I should report this matter to see what the outcome is. I have a manual save (as opposed to an auto save/'snapshot'taken after this problem arose and I could send it to someone to help with debugging, or alternatively you would probably be able to recreate this suspected bug by starting the simulation at 05:02 and playing it through until K201-3 is approaching Queen's Park, at which point you just need to wrong-route it for the bug to occur.

As usual, thanks in advance for replies.

* = Whilst typing up this post, I've noticed that it's spelt as "Queens Park" on the simulation, but the London Underground map and the London Connections map spells it as "Queen's Park"?!!

Any views and / or opinions expressed by myself are from me personally and do not represent those of any company I either work for or am a consultant for.
[NotABug] Possible bug with Signal #2 15/09/2010 at 06:14 #11458
clive
2738 posts
No, this isn't a bug, it's how the signal actually works. It's a defence mechanism to stop LU trains running off the end of the fourth rail.

The way to clear the mechanism is to set the route from signal 7.

Usage of "Queen's" and "Queens" varies on the railway. I've chosen the latter.

By the way, the manual is available here.

[NotABug] Possible bug with Signal #2 15/09/2010 at 13:57 #11471
UKTrainMan
1803 posts
Thanks for the reply.

clive said:
No, this isn't a bug, it's how the signal actually works. It's a defence mechanism to stop LU trains running off the end of the fourth rail.

The way to clear the mechanism is to set the route from signal 7.
Was thinking this might be the case but never thought or expected that the solution was to set the route from Signal 7. Anyway, I did so and indeed 'a normal service has now resumed between Queen's Park and London Euston following the earlier signalling problem' (as I'd imagine National Rail Enquiries would put it).

clive said:
Usage of "Queen's" and "Queens" varies on the railway. I've chosen the latter.
Fair enough, as the developer of such a great little simulation I respect your decision.

clive said:
By the way, the manual is available here.
Excellent, that'll make for interesting reading :)
Excellent, that certainly did make for interesting reading