Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox

Page 1 of 3

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 12/05/2010 at 10:12 #1246
bharrison
99 posts
Hi

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I've being trying to do a server and client game with a well known friend of mine on the same box.

I can connect to him as a client no problems on the same box at the moment exeter. But he can't connect to me at all. yet I can to him no problem it's really annoying for me as I have to waif for him.

my internet is through a router box if that helps. Its there away round this sticky mess am I restricted to cilent access only.

Can you help me

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 12/05/2010 at 10:12 #9109
bharrison
99 posts
Hi

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I've being trying to do a server and client game with a well known friend of mine on the same box.

I can connect to him as a client no problems on the same box at the moment exeter. But he can't connect to me at all. yet I can to him no problem it's really annoying for me as I have to waif for him.

my internet is through a router box if that helps. Its there away round this sticky mess am I restricted to cilent access only.

Can you help me

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 12/05/2010 at 11:11 #9110
andyb0607
260 posts
I would suggest it is likely to be the IP address you are supplying as your server IP.

As you are going through a router the likelihood is that the IP address on your machine is 10.*.*.* or 192.168.*.*

These are known as Private IP addresses and are not visible from outside your LAN setup.

You will need to set up port forwarding on the router in this instance and supply your external IP to the people trying to connect to your game. See this thread for more info http://www.SimSig.co.uk/index.php?option=com_agora&task=topic&id=988&Itemid=54

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 12/05/2010 at 15:28 #9114
bharrison
99 posts
I've read through that thread and I don't understand it. I'm not downloadingprograms I Know nothing about so it looks like I cant serve SimSig at all. Unless someone knows of a safe way to help me set this up?

Also i cant change my Ip either as SimSig won't let me?

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 12/05/2010 at 16:00 #9115
GeoffM
6282 posts
bharrison said:
I've read through that thread and I don't understand it.
Have you read the referenced material in that thread? www.portforward.com and the links into the Wiki may be of use.

bharrison said:
I'm not downloadingprograms I Know nothing about
You don't need to. You probably just need to configure your router (see above links).

bharrison said:
Also i cant change my Ip either as SimSig won't let me?
SimSig has nothing to do with your IP. It's your ISP (BT, Sky, TalkTalk, etc) that assign you an address. You can use the "What's my IP" link on the left side of this page to find out what you're currently assigned (it may change at various intervals).

Can your friend help?

SimSig Boss
Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 12/05/2010 at 17:07 #9116
AndyG
1834 posts
The new WIKI page on Port forwarding may help with understanding the concept.
I can only help one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 12/05/2010 at 20:53 #9121
bharrison
99 posts
I've looked at portforward.com and you have to pay to use that which I'm not allowed to do is there a free and safe way to foward ports. No my friend can't help as his setup is different.
Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 12/05/2010 at 21:18 #9122
mfcooper
707 posts
YOU DO NOT NEED ANY SOFTWARE TO SET UP PORT FORWARDING!

Every router will have an option menu somewhere, usually on an internal IP address, that will allow you to set up your preferences regarding port forwarding.

The website does have free software to check which ports you currently have forwarding options set up for, and paid software it claims will make the set up of port forwarding easier. These are not required.

If you had looked more carefully at the website, you would have seen that they have guides available to tell you how to set up port forwarding for a wide variety of router make and models. http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm Find the guide for your router, and follow the instructions. The SimSig defult port numbers are 50505 and 50507.

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 12/05/2010 at 21:45 #9123
bharrison
99 posts
what program do i use for SimSig of the list given on portforward.com? As I've selected my router
Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 12/05/2010 at 22:59 #9124
bharrison
99 posts
Hi guys this port forwarding thing is far to confusing for me to understand and very complicated. I've tried the website I just go round in circles and the wiki is too technical for me to understand.
So I think i'll just have to be a client only on this machine as I'm totally confused by the information I'm getting? Unless there's a easy way without using the website then i'm going to have to give up on this as I can't cope with it.

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 13/05/2010 at 00:23 #9125
postal
5190 posts
bharrison said:
what program do i use for SimSig of the list given on portforward.com? As I've selected my router
You can't use something from the program list on www.portfowarding.com because SimSig is not listed. You have to spend no more than 5 minutes entering the information manually. If you click on the link Matt (mfcooper) gave in posting #7 you get to a "front page" which should have your router on the list. I have a Netgear DG834G so I find that router in the list and click on it. I then get a big splash screen trying to tempt me into a "paid for" routine - in the small print at the top is a message telling me to "click here to skip this advertisement". That avoids the "paid for" route and takes me to a page full of internet games on which to click to set up the automatic port forwarding. Because SimSig is not listed you have to read the blurb at the top which says towards the bottom of the script

"Welcome to our guide list for the Netgear DG834G. Please select the program you are forwarding ports for from the list below.
If you do not see the program you are forwarding ports for, be sure to visit our Default Guide for this router"

The wording "default guide" is a link to take you to the instructions to enter the data for your router manually. If the other pages are like the instructions for my router, there is a step by step process to set up your router for port forwarding.

It is not a difficult process and lots of people using SimSig manage to host games after setting up their routers so it surely shouldn't go into the "too complicated" box.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 15/05/2010 at 00:36 #9154
Lardybiker
771 posts
Send me a private message. I'll look up your router and tell you how to set it up. I warn you, though, that a degree of technical understanding is required but not much.
Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 17/05/2010 at 21:35 #9249
bharrison
99 posts
Lardybiker said:
Send me a private message. I'll look up your router and tell you how to set it up. I warn you, though, that a degree of technical understanding is required but not much.
I can't send you a Pm as the site won't let me for some reason.

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 17/05/2010 at 21:41 #9250
bharrison
99 posts
postal said:
bharrison said:
You can't use something from the program list on www.portfowarding.com because SimSig is not listed. You have to spend no more than 5 minutes entering the information manually. If you click on the link Matt (mfcooper) gave in posting #7 you get to a "front page" which should have your router on the list. I have a Netgear DG834G so I find that router in the list and click on it. I then get a big splash screen trying to tempt me into a "paid for" routine - in the small print at the top is a message telling me to "click here to skip this advertisement". That avoids the "paid for" route and takes me to a page full of internet games on which to click to set up the automatic port forwarding. Because SimSig is not listed you have to read the blurb at the top which says towards the bottom of the script

"Welcome to our guide list for the Netgear DG834G. Please select the program you are forwarding ports for from the list below.
If you do not see the program you are forwarding ports for, be sure to visit our Default Guide for this router"

The wording "default guide" is a link to take you to the instructions to enter the data for your router manually. If the other pages are like the instructions for my router, there is a step by step process to set up your router for port forwarding.

It is not a difficult process and lots of people using SimSig manage to host games after setting up their routers so it surely shouldn't go into the "too complicated" box.
Sadly I can't follow all your steps to port foward my router for SimSig as it requires me to put my IP number into the web address box which then tries to search for it and I can't get the next step aftre that to work as the net has searched for the IPnumder as a website. I think this may be a a lost cause

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 17/05/2010 at 22:24 #9254
postal
5190 posts
bharrison

Apologies and slapped wrist because I typo'd the wrong website address. What I should have typed is www.portforward.com. If you could try that, you may have a bit more luck. For my Netgear, that asks for my internal IP address but does not need any information about my external IP.

Sorry for putting you on a bum steer. Post back or send me a PM to see how you get on. It really isn't a complicated process once you get the hang of it.

JG

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 17/05/2010 at 22:35 #9255
bharrison
99 posts
postal said:
bharrison

Apologies and slapped wrist because I typo'd the wrong website address. What I should have typed is www.portforward.com. If you could try that, you may have a bit more luck. For my Netgear, that asks for my internal IP address but does not need any information about my external IP.

Sorry for putting you on a bum steer. Post back or send me a PM to see how you get on. It really isn't a complicated process once you get the hang of it.

JG

postal you have a PM

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 03/05/2011 at 23:27 #15461
bharrison
99 posts
Hi guys

I'm still having trouble being a server on SimSig on any box I've portforwarded my router with the help of postal but cilents still can't connect my friend gets a message in the message box saying sever has diconected you followed by 94.4.218.241:50505 has disconnected.

I'm getting really frustrated by this I can connected to my friends SimSig fine but he can't connect to me. yet everyone else with routers can do it why can't I.

All Ideas welcome

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 04/05/2011 at 11:50 #15468
headshot119
4869 posts
Ok first off. Are you always hosting off the same computer in your house or are you trying different ones?

Secondly have you made sure that your external IP hasn't changed (Use the link on the left hand side of this page).

Thirdly, it may be that your internal IP address has changed for one reason or another and you may need to reset up your port forwarding. (I'm not sure how Postal did it in the end.)

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 04/05/2011 at 12:38 #15469
bharrison
99 posts
headshot119 said:
Ok first off. Are you always hosting off the same computer in your house or are you trying different ones?

Secondly have you made sure that your external IP hasn't changed (Use the link on the left hand side of this page).

Thirdly, it may be that your internal IP address has changed for one reason or another and you may need to reset up your port forwarding. (I'm not sure how Postal did it in the end.)
First question yes I use the same pc every time.

Second my Ip is the same on this site as my SimSig boxes show

thirdly not sure how to find that out that my internal ip has changed

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 04/05/2011 at 12:45 #15470
headshot119
4869 posts
Did you ever get it to work correctly when Postal helped you last year?

Have you had a new router since, or changed your ISP?

To check what your internal IP is. Open up command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" It will then give you an IP address that that is 192.XXX.XXX.XXX or 10.xx.xx.xx

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 04/05/2011 at 13:38 #15473
bharrison
99 posts
headshot119 said:
Did you ever get it to work correctly when Postal helped you last year?

Have you had a new router since, or changed your ISP?

To check what your internal IP is. Open up command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" It will then give you an IP address that that is 192.XXX.XXX.XXX or 10.xx.xx.xx
Thanks for that checked it and it's still the same for the IP, Not changed the router had the same on since going online and the ISP is still the same.

Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 04/05/2011 at 13:43 #15474
headshot119
4869 posts
Have you updated your router firmware since the port forwarding was done? When did your friend stop being able to connect?
Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 04/05/2011 at 14:04 #15475
bharrison
99 posts
never updated anything on the router. He could never connect to at all tried several times last year and since the port forwarding and he still can't now.
Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 04/05/2011 at 14:54 #15476
headshot119
4869 posts
So in other words the ports where never forwarded properly. What is the model of your router?
Problems with being a server on a multiplayer session on the samebox 04/05/2011 at 16:35 #15481
bharrison
99 posts
NETGEAR DG934G