Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig

Page 1 of 1

Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 31/05/2015 at 22:35 #72922
pedroathome
887 posts
I know ages back, people were on about what the internet gateway was used for within Simsig. In the last couple weeks, I have been working on a program which produces Open Train Times style TD maps from the data received from Simsig.

Attached is a short video showing this in use on the Leamington sim. I know there are a few issues with the software which I have written, for example it is currently very unstable, and not all TD berths are currently displayable.

Just a question though, Is it currently only the C class messages which are currently available via the internet gateway, and are there any plans to make the S class messages available?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0vUHdFt7-I

James

Last edited: 31/05/2015 at 22:38 by pedroathome
Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 31/05/2015 at 22:47 #72923
DaveHarries
1267 posts
Rather a cool idea.

Dave

Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 31/05/2015 at 23:25 #72924
BarryM
2158 posts
James, very good. I think you are a connoisseur of music! :cheer:

Barry

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 01/06/2015 at 00:23 #72925
uboat
219 posts
very impressive. keep up the good work. when the bugs are ironed out a real time
speed would be good.

Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 01/06/2015 at 00:28 #72926
Muzer
718 posts
Nice! I was meaning to do this for some time but various distractions like exams and third year project (and in part, SimSig itself :p) took precedence.

EDIT: Ah, I apparently misunderstood what was going on. I was intending to do the opposite — use SimSig as a display for realtime Network Rail data.

Last edited: 01/06/2015 at 22:03 by Muzer
Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 01/06/2015 at 01:16 #72927
GeoffM
6282 posts
" said:
Just a question though, Is it currently only the C class messages which are currently available via the internet gateway, and are there any plans to make the S class messages available?
Good to see people are trying out the new features! Regarding S-class, as you probably know, it's a kind of memory map, 8 bits per byte representing up to 8 different pieces of information such as signal off/on, route set/not-set, track occupied/clear, etc. I'm not keen on that as it requires turning objects into an anonymous memory bit map. So the SimSig implementation of S-ish class messages actually has object IDs and states as names/values. I did this just the other day, so changes of states and snapshots can be handled. I forget the exact format but, for example, a message might be of the form (ignore syntax: off the top of my head):

S123 { type=signal; aspect=0; bpull=false; lp=true; }
P456 { type=point; dn=true; dr=false; cn=true; cr=false; }
TABC { type=track; clear=true }
etc

Should be ready in a week or two.

SimSig Boss
Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 01/06/2015 at 05:38 #72928
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
" said:
James, very good. I think you are a connoisseur of music! :cheer:

Barry
Indeed, I took violin lessons purely so I could learn to play this piece of music - much to the annoyance of my teacher when I turned up week after week having not learned what I was supposed to!

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 01/06/2015 at 13:40 #72934
pedroathome
887 posts
" said:
very impressive. keep up the good work. when the bugs are ironed out a real time
speed would be good.
This video has been done at this speed so at least it shows things happening. It will work at whatever the speed of the sim is. Due to the nature of Leamingotn, not much would otherwise be shown in a reasonable time

Last edited: 01/06/2015 at 13:41 by pedroathome
Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 01/06/2015 at 18:13 #72935
slatteryc
248 posts
I don't understand ... is it showing real trains on the sim or summat ?
Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 01/06/2015 at 19:11 #72936
pedroathome
887 posts
" said:
I don't understand ... is it showing real trains on the sim or summat ?
It is designed to operate like the Open Train Times maps (available from http://www.opentraintimes.com/maps), but rather than use the data provided by Network Rail through their open data feeds, it instead takes the data from a sim, in this case Leamington, and does a similar style thing than the NR feeds using the Internet Gateway. Hope that answers your question

Edit, Realised it didn't answer the question, so simplified my response. It shows the location of the TD's on the sim, same as the Open train times maps shows the TDs of trains on NR metals

James

Last edited: 01/06/2015 at 19:12 by pedroathome
Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 03/06/2015 at 08:53 #72976
pedroathome
887 posts
Just one for Geoff and the team here. On the approach berths, should SimSig send out the individual berth steps via the feeds, or should it display what is passing each appropriate TD location? At present it is displaying the TD locations, just wanting to check.

On a side note, almost finished a TD map of NWC now

James

Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 03/06/2015 at 15:54 #72982
GeoffM
6282 posts
" said:
Just one for Geoff and the team here. On the approach berths, should SimSig send out the individual berth steps via the feeds, or should it display what is passing each appropriate TD location? At present it is displaying the TD locations, just wanting to check.

James
If I understand what you're asking, it should be sending TD steps, not interpose/cancels when a TD moves along.

SimSig Boss
Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 03/06/2015 at 20:51 #72985
pedroathome
887 posts
" said:
" said:

James
If I understand what you're asking, it should be sending TD steps, not interpose/cancels when a TD moves along.

Not quite there Geoff. If I take an example of something like on NWC approaching from Saltney Jn, all steps from the entry location are shown through the feeds, the approach berths are not displayed in this way.

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 13/08/2015 at 02:27 #75065
BarryM
2158 posts
James,

In the beginning, what was the correct HC? 4E01 or 4K01? :cheer:

Barry

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Use of Open Data Feeds within Simsig 14/08/2015 at 16:29 #75118
pedroathome
887 posts
" said:
James,