The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016)

You are here: Home > Forum > Hosting and Events > Meeting up > The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016)

Page 1 of 2

The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 22/11/2015 at 15:44 #78035
postal
5190 posts
The first SimSig meet was a social event at the Knights Templar in Bristol in March 2006. Although we have fallen away from the 3 meets a year timetable, I do think the 10th. Anniversary deserves to be recognised by a celebration meet. This was certainly the feel when we were chatting about things at Derby. Traditionally we have wandered round the country for the March meet, but the numbers have generally been lower than the attendance at the traditional July London meet. It would be nice to have a good turnout for this anniversary which really points us towards a London venue.

We have met in recent years at the Railway Tavern outside Liverpool St. station in July and the venue is ideal for our purposes but suffers from a lack of ventilation or air conditioning for a July meet. Can I suggest that we have a 10th. Anniversary meet this March, hopefully at The Railway but that will need a bit of negotiation with the management. In previous years, they have not charged for the room but have required a minimum spend on drink and buffet through the upstairs till of £600. That has now gone up to £750. To be honest, the buffet at the place has not always been the most appetising; they will offset any bar food purchased from their menu (current version available here) against the £750 spend but the number of other cheaper food outlets nearby does put a doubt about whether we could hit the £750.

Easter falls on the last Saturday in March so we would probably need to book for the 5th. or 12th. March.

If people think that is a good idea, I am quite happy to take on the dealings with the venue. Assuming that we would like to follow on from what we did this month at Derby and order our own food rather than a buffet, it would probably be more sensible if I could tie them down to a room hire fee which is then paid by charging a (hopefully) small admission fee.

What do people think? Do we want a 10th. Anniversary meet? Are people happy to let one person plug on with the arrangements? If that is the case, are people happy that it should be left to me? Alternatively, should there be some sort of collective or committee to do the work instead or should another single volunteer be found?

In order to try and reduce the mission creep that occurs when this sort of topic is posted, can I ask that you only contribute if there is a genuine possibility that you would want to attend an Anniversary meet.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Last edited: 22/11/2015 at 15:46 by postal
The following users said thank you: TimTamToe, andyb0607, JamesN
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 22/11/2015 at 16:09 #78038
postal
5190 posts
Hopefully the topic will generate some thoughts about whether or where we should have a meet and who should organise it rather than a list of people who might be able to attend.
“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
The following user said thank you: JamesN
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 22/11/2015 at 16:44 #78041
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
Hopefully the topic will generate some thoughts about whether or where we should have a meet and who should organise it rather than a list of people who might be able to attend.
Brace yourself I think that post has gone over quite a few poeples heads!

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
The following user said thank you: postal
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 22/11/2015 at 16:49 #78042
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
Have deleted a number of posts that went off piste.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
The following user said thank you: postal
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 22/11/2015 at 17:55 #78046
DaveHarries
1269 posts
" said:

Peter

Including mine, I see, and it hardly went off piste. With my diary being clear for March next year (excluding the end of it) there is a possibility I would attend this meet if it took place.

Dave

The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 22/11/2015 at 18:19 #78049
postal
5190 posts
" said:
" said:

Peter

Including mine, I see, and it hardly went off piste. With my diary being clear for March next year (excluding the end of it) there is a possibility I would attend this meet if it took place.

Dave
Dave

No one is asking at this stage about who may or may not attend. The question is far more basic than that and starts with whether we even need an anniversary meet. If you can add anything helpful about that or whether we are looking at the right venue, who should organise things and whether we are looking at the right date then please make your contribution. If it is decided to hold a meet then the date will be confirmed in due course and people will then have the opportunity to publish whether they will be attending or not. To do so now just clutters up the topic with what is at the current stage irrelevant.

Last edited: 22/11/2015 at 18:20 by postal
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 22/11/2015 at 18:22 #78050
Sacro
1171 posts
" said:

What do people think? Do we want a 10th. Anniversary meet? Are people happy to let one person plug on with the arrangements? If that is the case, are people happy that it should be left to me? Alternatively, should there be some sort of collective or committee to do the work instead or should another single volunteer be found?
I would certainly attend, would be nice to get a big chain going like we did in the olden days!

As for one person getting on with arranging it, it depends who that one person is, I think we've had some unsuitable venues over the years, and some great ones.

Perhaps it might be worth seeking out a few different options in different areas, London is nice for some, but I always recall Peterborough getting a decent turnout too.

The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 22/11/2015 at 18:32 #78051
tjfrancis
358 posts
" said:
" said:

I would certainly attend, would be nice to get a big chain going like we did in the olden days!

As for one person getting on with arranging it, it depends who that one person is, I think we've had some unsuitable venues over the years, and some great ones.

Perhaps it might be worth seeking out a few different options in different areas, London is nice for some, but I always recall Peterborough getting a decent turnout too.

carrying on with sacro idea it got to be some weare that we can all get to e.g london,birmgham elc

I am dyslexic so please consider this when reading my posts
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 22/11/2015 at 18:39 #78052
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:

I agree, some of the venues have been better than others.

Certainly Newcastle, London and Derby have all been good.

" said:

carrying on with sacro idea it got to be some weare that we can all get to e.g london,birmgham elc
I don't think we've ever had a meet where people can't get to.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Last edited: 22/11/2015 at 18:39 by headshot119
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 22/11/2015 at 19:29 #78054
postal
5190 posts
" said:
. . . . I always recall Peterborough getting a decent turnout too.
Unfortunately the rules have changed at the Peterborough venue and the last time Ken Otter (Tallington) and I approached them (last summer), they told us both that we would have to vacate the upstairs area by 4:00pm so that it could be set up for the evening meal service.

Last edited: 22/11/2015 at 23:41 by postal
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 22/11/2015 at 19:56 #78057
pedroathome
889 posts
As someone who hasen't attended meets in the past and also not much of a drinker, is there anything to say that it has to be held in a pub?

I personally may be more tempted by other types of venue.

James

The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 22/11/2015 at 20:07 #78060
postal
5190 posts
" said:
As someone who hasen't attended meets in the past and also not much of a drinker, is there anything to say that it has to be held in a pub?

I personally may be more tempted by other types of venue.

James
Likely attendance levels. At any given meet about half of those attending do not take part in any SimSig sessions as they are there for the social side of things and like to sit and crack on with a pint in their hands. I can't think of many from that group who would attend a temperance venue!

Having said that, there are a number who regularly attend who are happy to sit with soft drinks and chat on or work a panel so don't let the fact that it is in a pub put you off.

Last edited: 22/11/2015 at 20:11 by postal
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 24/11/2015 at 23:59 #78117
bill_gensheet
1318 posts
We did London in March 2012 (to avoid the Olympics) and yes it was a lot more pleasant in the City at that time of year.

Bill

The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 25/11/2015 at 07:03 #78120
jc92
3629 posts
I like the idea of a 10th anniversary meet. maybe we should have an old and new theme? one game running Kings Cross (SimSig classic) and one running like Rugby or Wembley (the New order).

My mum is a cake maker/decorator by trade so I could offer (subject to costing etc) a 10th birthday cake, maybe of the Simsig logo or a 4 aspect signal for instance?

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 25/11/2015 at 14:25 #78129
TimTamToe
656 posts
Sounds a good idea John

Gareth

The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 09/12/2015 at 01:34 #78572
postal
5190 posts
Looking at the responses so far, I guess that the general mood is that a 10th. anniversary bash would be a good idea but that no one has any strong views about venue or organiser.

On that basis I am willing to be the tall poppy. I have to be in London next week so I am prepared to go to The Railway and see what sort of deal I can negotiate for their upstairs room. Given the Premier League fixture list, the only date outside of the Easter holidays that I can do in March is Saturday 12th. so I will be trying to book the room for that date if you feel that I should go ahead.

If anyone thinks I am taking on too much or wishes to meet on a different date, please speak up now but please also be prepared to make the arrangements for the venue or date which you think would be more suitable.

The following user said thank you: bfcmik
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 09/12/2015 at 10:15 #78575
John 23
173 posts
:sick: 12th March is Exeter Chiefs at home in the Premiership, so I wouldn't be able to make it. I'll get to a meet sometime.....
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 09/12/2015 at 13:14 #78580
MJD
149 posts
Well done Postal. Hope you can get a good deal, will see you on March 12th if you do.
Mike.
Last edited: 09/12/2015 at 13:15 by MJD
Reason: Wrong date LOL

The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 09/12/2015 at 14:41 #78582
JamesN
1575 posts
12th sounds fine to me Postal.
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 09/12/2015 at 19:34 #78597
DaveHarries
1269 posts
12th March sounds good to me also. Where is "The Railway"?

Dave

The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 09/12/2015 at 19:48 #78598
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:

Dave
Just over the road from London Liverpool Street.

The following user said thank you: DaveHarries
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 09/12/2015 at 20:07 #78599
AndyG
1835 posts
" said:

Dave
See previous meet details.

I can only help one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
Last edited: 09/12/2015 at 20:08 by AndyG
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 09/12/2015 at 21:04 #78601
DaveHarries
1269 posts
12th March 2016 is in my diary with a TBC by it. If it goes ahead I plan to attend.

Dave

The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 09/12/2015 at 23:30 #78604
welshdragon
315 posts
12th sounds good.
The 10th. Anniversary meeting is approaching (Saturday 12th. March 2016) 24/12/2015 at 18:36 #79185
guyh
54 posts
John,

I agree that this is a great idea. Thanks for asking the group whether they support you continuing with organising this. I certainly have no wish to take on such organising myself, and am most happy to support your bid to be the organiser. Hopefully, I'll also be able to make it on that date.

Guy.