Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Bescot Down Tower

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (signalling) > Bescot Down Tower

Page 1 of 1

Bescot Down Tower 22/08/2013 at 21:40 #48802
Andrew G
548 posts
Another closure this weekend with Bescot Down Tower closing at 2355 on Saturday 24th August. These pictures might be of interest:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/llangollen_signalman/sets/72157635185677747/

Walsall PSB and the mechanical boxes on the Cannock Line also close this weekend with control transferring to West Midlands Signalling Centre.

There are also a few pictures of the yard itself:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/llangollen_signalman/sets/72157635192323102/

The following users said thank you: headshot119, maxand
Bescot Down Tower 04/09/2013 at 21:08 #49144
john_s
31 posts
Thank you for sharing these photographs, Andrew.

I'm intrigued by the north end fringe to Walsall. For trains heading south, Bescot Down Tower appears to release the route with a slot. But which route? Can Bescot devide which route is allowed over the 'X' (I realise the X is not quite like that in reality!).

For example, from Slot 1 (Walsall / Wednesbury), does Bescot decide whether the train goes to the up+down goods, or to the sorting sidings/depot?

Bescot Down Tower 05/09/2013 at 09:40 #49156
Firefly
521 posts
Here's the other end of the Story although it doesn't really help very much.

Walsall does have two different slot indications but I'm not sure if they correlate to DT Slot 1 and Slot 3.

Bescot Tower doesn't have any route lights in the WL track circuits so I believe that slot 1 and slot 3 are a single push button not entrance/exit. ( i.e. push to give the slot, pull to take the slot) therefore Bescot Tower doesn't do any route selection for those routes.

The Walsall signaller clearly makes the route selection to set either to the Down Sorting Sidings or to the Up & Down Goods and looking at the slot indications in Walsall there doesn't seem to be any differentiation in the slots for either route.

Also interesting is that Walsall Signal 37 doesn't have the slot tags on the edge of the signal, but logic would dictate that it does read to Bescot Tower and therefore must be slotted. Otherwise why does it have a Shunt Signal and Shunt Entrance Button? I even wonder if the lines from the top slot indication pointing to the applicable signals were missed off when the panel was re-drawn.

So I'm going to guess that slot 3 is the release on 34 and 37 signals (possibly 36 if it reads that way) and Slot 1 releases 30, 31 and 32 signals. Walsall Panel selects whether the route is set to the Down Sorting Sidings or the Up & Down Goods.

Standing by for anyone with local knowledge to confirm or deny.

FF

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Last edited: 06/09/2013 at 08:35 by Firefly
Bescot Down Tower 05/09/2013 at 21:08 #49167
pbinnersley
431 posts
" said:
Here's the other end of the Story although it doesn't really help very much.

Walsal does have two different slot indications but I'm not sure if they correlate to DT Slot 1 and Slot 3.

Bescot Tower doesn't have any route lights in the WL track circuits so I believe that slot 1 and slot 3 are a single push button not entrance/exit. ( i.e. push to give the slot, pull to take the slot) therefore Bescot Tower doesn't do any route selection for those routes.

The Walsal signaller clearly makes the route selection to set either to the Down Sorting Sidings or to the Up & Down Goods and looking at the slot indications in Walsal there doesn't seem to be any differentiation in the slots for either route.

Also interesting is that Walsal Signal 37 doesn't have the slot tags on the edge of the signal, but logic would dictate that it does read to Bescot Tower and therefore must be slotted. Otherwise why does it have a Shunt Signal and Shunt Entrance Button? I even wonder if the lines from the top slot indication pointing to the applicable signals were missed off when the panel was re-drawn.

So I'm going to guess that slot 3 is the release on 34 and 37 signals (possibly 36 if it reads that way) and Slot 1 releases 30, 31 and 32 signals. Walsal Panel selects whether the route is set to the Down Sorting Sidings or the Up & Down Goods.

Standing by for anyone with local knowledge to confirm or deny.

FF

Looking at the Down Tower diagram the signal from the Down Sorting Sidings is a Walsall signal and the Down Tower does not appear to have any control over these lines (no track circuits/signals/route lights). The push button on the signal from the sorting sidings does not appear to have any arrows on and may be a left over from a previous signalling arrangement. The Slots 1 & 3 would both read towards the Up & Down Goods.

Regards,

Peter.

Last edited: 05/09/2013 at 21:34 by pbinnersley
Bescot Down Tower 06/09/2013 at 08:51 #49171
Firefly
521 posts
Quote:
The Slots 1 & 3 would both read towards the Up & Down Goods.
Although you can't make it out in the Walsall image that I uploaded, it says the slot applies to both the Up and Down Goods and the Down Sorting Sidings

I'm struggling to work out the purpose of the button at the entrance to the Down Sorting siding, the only sensible thing is for it to act as an exit button for the slots which blows my theory about one shot slot buttons. Unless as you say, it's historical

But interestingly according to the Walsall Diagram the shunt signals on the exit from the Down Sorting Siding and Up & Down Goods are slotted by another box, however the Main routes are not!

Once again this could be an historic arrangement.

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Last edited: 06/09/2013 at 08:57 by Firefly
Bescot Down Tower 06/09/2013 at 12:59 #49176
Andrew G
548 posts
I'm try to find some answers on this and will post again if I can shed any light on the queries.
The following user said thank you: Firefly
Bescot Down Tower 06/09/2013 at 16:08 #49179
Lardybiker
771 posts
It's a combination of both with each box responsible for part of it. Basically, the Walsall signaler is responsible for the main lines and has no control of the yards. He does not know, for example, which road in the yard a train is due to go in to. The Bescot DT controller on the other hand does. So when a route is set into the yard, it's a combination of the Walsall signaler setting the first part to direct the train off the main line and then Bescot controller setting the second part into the specific road in the yard itself.

The actual interplay between the two works like this.....
1) The Walsall signaler enters the train number in the train describer and selects which entry the train will be arriving at. This is done using a special keyboard and has nothing to do with the panel. Up to two trains can be described for each entrance (I think they are named North, South and Middle).

2) The train ID is transmitted to the Bescot DT controller who responds by setting an appropriate route from the requested entry point into on of the roads or sidings in Bescot yard itself.

3) Setting of that route gives a slot indication back to the Walsall signaler.

4) The Walsall signaler then sets the route off the main line and into the sidings from his panel.

It's the same sequence for trains going from Bescot DT to Walsall but the roles of the boxes are reversed.

Bescot Down Tower 06/09/2013 at 17:48 #49181
Hooverman
306 posts
That's a very similar method to one we have to get trains into and out of Selhurst Depot especially the partially setting of route, which is very strange to see when you watch someone else finish of the route remotely.

We send a request for release.

When release is given a light will show.

This then allows us to set a route towards the depot. Route lights only on set only half the route.

This then allows Selhurst Panel to move their points and finish the route.

Route lights will now show for all of the route.

Then Selhurst clears their slot for our Signal.

Works very similar for trains coming out of the Depot.

Bescot Down Tower 06/09/2013 at 23:21 #49188
pbinnersley
431 posts
" said:
Quote:
The Slots 1 & 3 would both read towards the Up & Down Goods.
Although you can't make it out in the Walsall image that I uploaded, it says the slot applies to both the Up and Down Goods and the Down Sorting Sidings

I'm struggling to work out the purpose of the button at the entrance to the Down Sorting siding, the only sensible thing is for it to act as an exit button for the slots which blows my theory about one shot slot buttons. Unless as you say, it's historical

But interestingly according to the Walsall Diagram the shunt signals on the exit from the Down Sorting Siding and Up & Down Goods are slotted by another box, however the Main routes are not!

Once again this could be an historic arrangement.
I've just found my copy of the original signalling notice for Bescot Down Tower and the main lines (1211G, effective from 6th December 1965. This shows connections from the Engine shed, coal stage and Elwells sidings leading into the bottom "Slot 3" line, these were all controlled by Bescot Down Tower .

The two Walsall signals at the exit from the Down sorting sidings (WL25) and the Up & Down Goods (WL26) have routes to:

• SUB - To signal WL35 *

• SUB - Elwells SDG (RI="SDG"*

• MAIN - Down Grand Junction (RI="M")

• MAIN - Up Wednesbury Goods [RI="G"

• MAIN Down Bescot (RI="B")

Routes marked * were "Also controlled by Bescot Down tower".

Signal WL35 was a position light signal on the "Slot 3" line reading out onto the Down Grand Junction.

Walsall signals WL30 (Up Bescot)and WL31 (Down Wednesbury Goods) both have routes towards the Up and Down Goods and Down Soring Sidings which are also controlled by Bescot down tower.

The main change is the layout is that there was no facing crossover on the Grand Junction lines so trains from Wolverhampton could not access the down yard at this end (a facing connection was provided to the up yard).

Unfortunately I think the original notice is still in copyright for another couple of years.

Peter.

The following user said thank you: Firefly
Bescot Down Tower 08/09/2013 at 09:09 #49227
Firefly
521 posts
Quote:
It's a combination of both with each box responsible for part of it. Basically, the Walsall signaler is responsible for the main lines and has no control of the yards. He does not know, for example, which road in the yard a train is due to go in to. The Bescot DT controller on the other hand does. So when a route is set into the yard, it's a combination of the Walsall signaler setting the first part to direct the train off the main line and then Bescot controller setting the second part into the specific road in the yard itself.
Lardybiker, this is true of most slotting arrangements. What the John_s was questioning and what to me is unusual is the arrangement at the North.

Quote:
The actual interplay between the two works like this.....
1) The Walsall signaler enters the train number in the train describer and selects which entry the train will be arriving at. This is done using a special keyboard and has nothing to do with the panel. Up to two trains can be described for each entrance (I think they are named North, South and Middle).
So if we just deal with the North End, The TD will inform Bescot Tower if the train will route in via Approach Track A or Approach Track G (Slot 1 or Slot 3)? Is it the case that Slot 1 (Approach A) corresponds to routes off of the Wednesbury Goods and Up Bescot whist Slot 3 is for the Up Grand Junction?

Quote:
2) The train ID is transmitted to the Bescot DT controller who responds by setting an appropriate route from the requested entry point into on of the roads or sidings in Bescot yard itself.
But at the North end Bescot Tower doesn't have any control over the pointwork. Walsall can either set a route into the Up and Down Goods or the Down Sorting siding (Subject to slot of course). Apart from giving the slot Bescot doesn't appear to have any influence over where Walsall routes the train.

Quote:
3) Setting of that route gives a slot indication back to the Walsall signaller.
This is normal, but which indications in Walsall correspond to Slot 1 and which correspond to slot 3?

Quote:
4) The Walsall signaler then sets the route off the main line and into the sidings from his panel.
Once again, this is normal.

Quote:
The main change is the layout is that there was no facing crossover on the Grand Junction lines so trains from Wolverhampton could not access the down yard at this end (a facing connection was provided to the up yard).
Thanks Peter, that's interesting. It explains why 37 doesn't have a slot tag shown on Walsall panel and it also explains why 323 points are drawn at a non standard angle.

Last edited: 08/09/2013 at 09:11 by Firefly
Bescot Down Tower 09/09/2013 at 20:40 #49293
john_s
31 posts
Thank you Lardybiker for the further information - although I'm still not sure I understand it - and to Firefly, for the additional images, and for asking questions which followed my train of thought (and therefore sparing me some typing).

I'm still trying to understand this, perhaps I can put it in my own words and folks can correct me as necessary: edit to add: Answers in next post by Andrew G

1. Walsall enters information into Train Describer, and selects entry point. Presumably this is the 'train approaching' indication. I don't have a problem with this.

2. Bescot Down Tower now 'releases the route' over the 'X' (left end of Bescot panel) using pairs of buttons, N-X fashion (i.e. route from one of 2 entrances to either Down Sorting Sidings or Up/Down Goods). Is this correct?

3. Walsall now sets the route - there are appropriate entrance and exit buttons on the Walsall panel. But this means Walsall has to know where the train is going - is this correct?

4. It seems to me that the entrance part of the release is indicated on the Walsall panel by the two 'slot off' lights, i.e Slot 3 is Up Grand Junction and Slot 1 is Up Bescot/Wednesbury Goods - correct?

Hooverman's description of someone else finishing off the route sounds rather like someone (one box) pressing the extrance button and someone else (other box) pressing the exit button: that doesn't seem to be the case at Walsall, as the Walsall signaller has both entrance and exit buttons available.

Last edited: 10/09/2013 at 20:32 by john_s
Bescot Down Tower 09/09/2013 at 20:59 #49294
Andrew G
548 posts
This comment from my contact will hopefully answer some of the outstanding queries:

Slots 1 and 3 are indeed entrance-exit routes. Slot 1 is given for a movement from Walsall direction (WL30) and Slot 3 is given for moves from Wolverhampton direction (WL37 or WL34).

If the train is going in to the Down Sorting Sidings the exit button is the one marked WL at the end of T27. If the train is going on to the Up and Down Goods line the exit button is DT26 and in this case a phone call is made to Walsall PSB to advise that the slot is for the Up & Down as Walsall will need to select the exit button at WL26 instead of WL25 as would be the case if the train is going into the yard.

So, the direction the train is coming from decides the entrance button and it is assumed the slots are for the Down Sorting unless a phone call is made.

There doesn't appear to be any differentiation on the Train Describer for inbound movements from the North (Walsall or Wolverhampton) so I can only assume that the Down Tower signaller uses the WTT and/or Trust to decide which slot to provide. The old and new Train Describer shots illustrate this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/llangollen_signalman/9570297557/in/set-72157635185677747/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/llangollen_signalman/9232068340/in/set-72157634532299564/

I think the Down Tower signaller obtains verbal permission from the Yard Chargeman/Shunter before providing a slot for the Sorting Sidings.

The following users said thank you: Firefly, john_s
Bescot Down Tower 09/09/2013 at 22:15 #49300
Hooverman
306 posts
Hooverman's description of someone else finishing off the route sounds rather like someone (one box) pressing the extrance button and someone else (other box) pressing the exit button: that doesn't seem to be the case at Walsall, as the Walsall signaller has both entrance and exit buttons available.[/quote]

No not quite, On our panel 1a we set the route in the normal eNtrance Exit style. Selhurst shunt panel is a Individual Function Switch type of panel. It's just the route lights that only show half way into the depot when we set the route, until Selhurst panel has done their bit then all the route lights indicate. By setting the route towards the depot you are not setting the complete route, rather a idication of intent that a train wishes the enter via that route. It's destination within the depot is decided by the panel operator who completes the route by moving their points and clearing their signals. Only when that is done will they release their slot on our signal to send a train into the depot.

Bescot Down Tower 09/09/2013 at 22:18 #49301
Hooverman
306 posts
" said:
Hooverman's description of someone else finishing off the route sounds rather like someone (one box) pressing the extrance button and someone else (other box) pressing the exit button: that doesn't seem to be the case at Walsall, as the Walsall signaller has both entrance and exit buttons available.
No not quite, On our panel 1a we set the route in the normal eNtrance Exit style. Selhurst shunt panel is a Individual Function Switch type of panel. It's just the route lights that only show half way into the depot when we set the route, until Selhurst panel has done their bit then all the route lights indicate. By setting the route towards the depot you are not setting the complete route, rather a idication of intent that a train wishes the enter via that route. It's destination within the depot is decided by the panel operator who completes the route by moving their points and clearing their signals. Only when that is done will they release their slot on our signal to send a train into the depot.

The following user said thank you: john_s
Bescot Down Tower 09/09/2013 at 23:52 #49303
GeoffM
6282 posts
There is at least one route at Waterloo where the Wimbledon main lines panel signaller sets a route from his entrance to his boundary entrance button; the Windsor lines panel signaller sets the next part of the route from his boundary entrance button to either a platform, or, more interestingly, on to another boundary exit signal where the main lines panel signaller sets the final part of the route from the boundary entrance button to a platform exit button. Given the track layout in the Waterloo station throat, the driver never notices that he's just been "wiggled". IIRC they call it the "elbow" route.
SimSig Boss
Bescot Down Tower 10/09/2013 at 10:06 #49310
John
884 posts
There is a similar arrangement at Victoria between the Central and Eastern signallers.
Bescot Down Tower 10/09/2013 at 17:48 #49317
Firefly
521 posts
Quote:
If the train is going in to the Down Sorting Sidings the exit button is the one marked WL at the end of T27. If the train is going on to the Up and Down Goods line the exit button is DT26 and in this case a phone call is made to Walsall PSB to advise that the slot is for the Up & Down as Walsall will need to select the exit button at WL26 instead of WL25 as would be the case if the train is going into the yard.
Thanks Andrew G that explains everything for me.

I couldn't see anyway that Walsall would know which route was set by Bescot but if they make a phone call that explains the method of operation.

It's somewhat unusual to have a situation where Panel A needs to be told by Panel B which route the slot has been given for and therefore which exit button to press. It would usually be obvious from the illuminated diagram.

Quote:
There is at least one route at Waterloo where the Wimbledon main lines panel signaller sets a route from his entrance to his boundary entrance button;

At least 4 crossovers possibly more. It's a real pain when you're on your own testing between Panels 1 and 2 because you have to keep going between panels to set the routes. There are also 2 point keys (1 on each panel) for each of the sets of inter diversionary cross overs so either signaller can peg the points.

Bescot Down Tower 10/09/2013 at 21:22 #49322
GeoffM
6282 posts
" said:
Quote:
There is at least one route at Waterloo where the Wimbledon main lines panel signaller sets a route from his entrance to his boundary entrance button;

At least 4 crossovers possibly more. It's a real pain when you're on your own testing between Panels 1 and 2 because you have to keep going between panels to set the routes. There are also 2 point keys (1 on each panel) for each of the sets of inter diversionary cross overs so either signaller can peg the points.
I meant routes that cross two or more panel boundaries! In this case, setting the route requires 6 button presses.

Come to think of it, there are a couple of routes at Cardiff Central that involve three signallers - up lines across to the Queen St route platforms. I don't know how that one is achieved though, whether the middle signaller actually does anything.

SimSig Boss
Last edited: 10/09/2013 at 21:22 by GeoffM