Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Banbury N+S boxes - to close when?

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (signalling) > Banbury N+S boxes - to close when?

Page 1 of 1

Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 14/08/2014 at 09:22 #63780
outofsection
149 posts
Good morning. I've just read in the August issue of Railway Mag that Banbury North & South boxes are to close sometime this year with their operations being transferred to Saltley (I think it said). When exactly is this going to happen (if it hasn't already) as I'd like to take a trip up there and take some snaps of the semaphores & boxes before they disappear forever.

Much thanks.
OOS

Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 14/08/2014 at 15:53 #63794
Al McLean
28 posts
Suppose to be by the end of 2015 but theyve being saying they are going to close the boxes for the last forty years!
Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 14/08/2014 at 17:00 #63796
TomOF
452 posts
I've seen some advanced looking workstation designs so I'd say not long. 2015 sounds about right.
Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 14/08/2014 at 18:30 #63800
wellgroomed
109 posts
I'd be very surprised if anything progresses any further on the re-signalling this year, at least from an 'on the ground' point of view. However, eagle eyed visitors to Banbury may spot the intended position of some of the new signals by the paint markings at various points along the platforms.
Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 14/08/2014 at 19:16 #63801
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
I'd be very surprised if anything progresses any further on the re-signalling this year, at least from an 'on the ground' point of view.
And given the number of projects that have already been postponed to at least 2015 (Swindon and Wolverhampton come to mind), it sounds as if S&T resources are a bit scarce at the moment.

Last edited: 14/08/2014 at 19:17 by Danny252
Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 15/08/2014 at 08:29 #63807
outofsection
149 posts
Thanks all for the responses. Looks like I've got a few more weeks left to make a visit then!

I was fortunate to pay a visit to Shirley box shortly before it closed a few years ago. It looked absolutely pristine - covered in very colourful windows boxes & planters full of blooms. The box was a credit to the signallers working it.

Oh, and going on what Railway Mag report the closing date for Severn Bridge Junction box - the largest mechanical signal box (as Jeremy Clarkson would say...) "in the world" is scheduled to be i.e. 2050, methinks I'll be pushing up the dandelions & rosebay willow-herb long before the last lever is pulled in that box!

Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 16/08/2014 at 19:32 #63845
Steamer
3923 posts
" said:
with their operations being transferred to Saltley (I think it said).
Isn't West Midlands SCC more likely? Most of Saltley went there a while ago, AFAIK only South Top panel is still in use.

Some recent resignallings have been quite bizarre- they got rid of Stirling Middle's semaphores and remodelled the layout last year, but kept the box in use and didn't seem to touch Stirling North.

Danny252 said:
And given the number of projects that have already been postponed to at least 2015 (Swindon and Wolverhampton come to mind), it sounds as if S&T resources are a bit scarce at the moment.
And it's not just in Network Rail, there's a national shortage of Electrical and Electronic engineers.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Last edited: 16/08/2014 at 19:33 by Steamer
Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 16/08/2014 at 20:30 #63848
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
" said:
Isn't West Midlands SCC more likely? Most of Saltley went there a while ago, AFAIK only South Top panel is still in use.

Some recent resignallings have been quite bizarre- they got rid of Stirling Middle's semaphores and remodelled the layout last year, but kept the box in use and didn't seem to touch Stirling North.

Danny252 said:
And it's not just in Network Rail, there's a national shortage of Electrical and Electronic engineers.
It is indeed just South Top that is in Saltley now, although interestingly a new NX panel has been commissioned in there to control the new section of double track on the Redditch branch.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 16/08/2014 at 20:55 #63850
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
" said:
Given that the two buildings are adjacent, I've heard "Saltley" sometimes used to refer to WMSCC, which is rather a mouthful.

Last edited: 16/08/2014 at 20:55 by Danny252
The following user said thank you: Steamer
Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 17/08/2014 at 07:55 #63861
Late Turn
696 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:
Given that the two buildings are adjacent, I've heard "Saltley" sometimes used to refer to WMSCC, which is rather a mouthful.

The East Midlands equivalent - 'EMCC' - is often referred to as "Derby" in the same way, given that Derby PSB is almost adjacent. Other prefer to call it 'the Early Learning Centre' though - I shall make no further comment myself!

Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 17/08/2014 at 19:16 #63876
outofsection
149 posts
" said:
" said:

Danny252 said:
Having been trained & worked in electronics & computer fault-finding down to component level, I'm tempted to offer my services. But at nearly 60 years of age, somehow I don't think NR would be interested!

And I think Steamer is right: maybe RM meant it was to be transferred to the Saltley section of WMSCC. Which is interesting because the Leamington section (LJ prefix) will need to be included in that transfer to WMSCC as well - if it hasn't already, otherwise things will get rather messy!

Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 17/08/2014 at 19:17 #63877
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:

Danny252 said:
Having been trained & worked in electronics & computer fault-finding down to component level, I'm tempted to offer my services. But at nearly 60 years of age, somehow I don't think NR would be interested!

And I think Steamer is right: maybe RM meant it was to be transferred to the Saltley section of WMSCC. Which is interesting because the Leamington section (LJ prefix) will need to be included in that transfer to WMSCC as well - if it hasn't already, otherwise things will get rather messy!
Which signals are LJ prefix? Signals from Leamington Spa are either LN, or OL as far as I know.

It's likely that the LN signals will just be changed into the OL sequence used for between Leamington Spa and Banbury.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Last edited: 17/08/2014 at 19:18 by headshot119
Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 17/08/2014 at 22:05 #63883
GeoffM
6285 posts
" said:
Which signals are LJ prefix? Signals from Leamington Spa are either LN, or OL as far as I know.
OL=Oxford-Leamington
LC=Leamington-Coventry
LJ=Leamington-Jewellery Quarter

" said:
It's likely that the LN signals will just be changed into the OL sequence used for between Leamington Spa and Banbury.
Recontrolled signals aren't always replated (Snow Hill being/was an example), even if the line designation exists. It's additional work for no tangible benefit.

SimSig Boss
Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 18/08/2014 at 08:34 #63889
Al McLean
28 posts
Looks like they are going to be open for a bit anyway!

http://www.allrailjobs.co.uk/jobs/signaller-%28resident%29-87657.htm

Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 18/08/2014 at 16:06 #63902
Hooverman
306 posts
" said:
Looks like they are going to be open for a bit anyway!

http://www.allrailjobs.co.uk/jobs/signaller-%28resident%29-87657.htm
You can't read into that either way as any job that's going to be around longer than 6th months should be advertised as "Permanent".

Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 19/08/2014 at 14:01 #63914
outofsection
149 posts
I THINK they have now been replated at Snow Hill as they have WM prefixes.

Ah yes! LJ3325 on the northbound line at Acocks Green which I refer to as Daffodil 3325 as it very rarely shows a green aspect and only a red after a train has passed. I suspect this is due to the close proximity of the junction signal with the North Warwicks line on the site of the old Tyseley South Box.

Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 19/08/2014 at 14:20 #63915
Peter Bennet
5362 posts
What does a Grade 2 signaller at Ely do?

Some of these jobs adverts are not exactly clear!

e.g.
Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 19/08/2014 at 14:46 #63917
Steamer
3923 posts
" said:
What does a Grade 2 signaller at Ely do?
On the basis that your other link just said 'London', perhaps Littleport or Downham Market is classed as Ely?

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 19/08/2014 at 15:00 #63918
Late Turn
696 posts
A grade 4 job advertised at "Doncaster" proved to actually be at Ulceby - not even close! I think our vacancies (mine certainly was) tend to be advertised as "Leicester", even though the extremity of the patch isn't far short of Peterborough. Not particularly helpful for potential applicants though!
Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 19/08/2014 at 15:17 #63920
GeoffM
6285 posts
" said:
I THINK they have now been replated at Snow Hill as they have WM prefixes.
But they should be LJ to follow the defined convention along that section! However, IIRC you're correct in that they were replated, albeit with the same numbers, just the letter prefix changed.

SimSig Boss
Last edited: 19/08/2014 at 15:19 by GeoffM
Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 08/09/2014 at 20:08 #64484
outofsection
149 posts
I took a trip up to Snow Hill from Risborough and could see no sign of any resignalling work even being started at Banbury, so I reckon I've got a few months yet to take some snaps.

I have to say I was surprised to see the lack of progress on the new chord connecting the GW line to the old Varsity line near Bicester. However,for the first time I actually saw work in progress - and on a Saturday too!

Banbury N+S boxes - to close when? 09/09/2014 at 17:43 #64496
Al McLean
28 posts
Surveyors have been at Banbury station today in connection with a new up platform. This would involve widening the existing Platform 3 - (from the Bridge Street Road bridge to the the existing station building) - across to the present up goods line

In the first photo you can see the disused Platform 5 (middle right) which used to be for local services to Woodford Halse on the GCR. The second photo shows the disued platform 5 edge (bottom left hand corner) which would be extended across to the up goods where 68002 is.

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.