Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Oops

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (anything else rail-oriented) > Oops

Page 1 of 2

Oops 30/04/2013 at 15:49 #44179
GeoffM
6293 posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yr5EztEPJS8

Probably best to ignore the comments.

SimSig Boss
Oops 30/04/2013 at 16:31 #44181
jwsetford
164 posts
A bit of an oops. Funny how the people on the lineside are just standing there, and not telling anyone
Last edited: 30/04/2013 at 16:31 by jwsetford
Oops 30/04/2013 at 16:31 #44182
kbarber
1712 posts
More like "OUCHHH!!!!!"

Commiserations to the GC; not a nice thing to happen.

It seems that, because it wasn't on a passenger line and because it didn't foul a passenger running line, RAIB don't consider it anything they should be interested in. I imagine that's a considerable relief to all concerned, even if the internal enquiry will be scarcely less painful for the unfortunate protagonists. I rather fear somebody may have come to a clear misunderstanding.

Oops 30/04/2013 at 16:42 #44183
GeoffM
6293 posts
" said:
A bit of an oops. Funny how the people on the lineside are just standing there, and not telling anyone :)
I don't think they could see the points reliably from their angle.

SimSig Boss
Oops 30/04/2013 at 16:52 #44184
moonraker
353 posts
Seen this on FB. Am I right in thinking that there should be some sort of shunt signal or GPL there for moves on to the main line ?
Oops 30/04/2013 at 16:56 #44186
Late Turn
696 posts
" said:
Seen this on FB. Am I right in thinking that there should be some sort of shunt signal or GPL there for moves on to the main line ?

Such a signal is indeed provided.

Oops 30/04/2013 at 16:57 #44187
kbarber
1712 posts
The signal controlling the move is the one in the video - a full-size semaphore right in front of the driver's face!
Oops 30/04/2013 at 17:23 #44189
Andrew G
550 posts
" said:
More like "OUCHHH!!!!!"

Commiserations to the GC; not a nice thing to happen.

It seems that, because it wasn't on a passenger line and because it didn't foul a passenger running line, RAIB don't consider it anything they should be interested in. I imagine that's a considerable relief to all concerned, even if the internal enquiry will be scarcely less painful for the unfortunate protagonists. I rather fear somebody may have come to a clear misunderstanding.
I think the RAIB took a similar view when some vehicles ran away at Grosmont on the NYMR even though they might have potentially fouled the Network Rail Esk Valley line. While it does seem strange in both cases given the proximity of the running line(s) I suspect their ORR Inspector will take a keen interest in the outcome of their internal investigation.

Oops 30/04/2013 at 19:25 #44196
Stephen Fulcher
2031 posts
The long blast on the whistle might indicate that he was talked by the signal - although the crew should have still checked the road even if that was the case.

More of an embarrassment to the GCR than any major harm done, there probably will not have been a huge amount of damage done at that speed. Having spent a considerable amount of time on a preserved railway over the last thirteen years I cannot say this sort of incident surprises me - in fact I am surprised there are not more of them.

Oops 30/04/2013 at 19:29 #44198
Danny252
1461 posts
That second whistle sounds an awful lot like a "Passing signal at danger with authority" one - compounded with the fact that there's no signalman waving red flags the second the train starts moving (I spent most of that video staring at the box!), one or two theories start coming to mind...
Last edited: 30/04/2013 at 19:30 by Danny252
Oops 30/04/2013 at 20:27 #44199
Peter Bennet
5363 posts
The Great Central Railway's Thomas The Tank Engine re-enactment weekend surpasses expectations.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Oops 30/04/2013 at 21:36 #44200
vontrapp
210 posts
The shortest run for the TPO? There is someone in the SB. I can't believe this happened, passing a signal and not checking the points first.
Last edited: 30/04/2013 at 21:42 by vontrapp
Oops 30/04/2013 at 21:43 #44201
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
The shortest run for the TPO?
Finally, a mail service that's slower than Royal Mail?

Oops 30/04/2013 at 21:52 #44202
vontrapp
210 posts
Are you sure this is not a 'Mr Bean' film?
Oops 30/04/2013 at 22:12 #44204
vontrapp
210 posts
Apparently, there was only the driver on the footplate. Perhaps he thought he was propelling towards the vehicles in rear, to attach as he keeps hanging his head out and looks towards the rear of the train :silly:
Last edited: 30/04/2013 at 22:15 by vontrapp
Oops 30/04/2013 at 22:15 #44205
jc92
3631 posts
" said:
Apparently, there was only the driver on the footplate. Perhaps he thought he was propelling towards the vehicles in rear, to attach!
the train was already coupled, else the POTS wouldn't have followed the loco

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Oops 30/04/2013 at 22:17 #44206
vontrapp
210 posts
There are other vehicles behind the train.
Oops 30/04/2013 at 22:36 #44207
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
Apparently, there was only the driver on the footplate. Perhaps he thought he was propelling towards the vehicles in rear, to attach as he keeps hanging his head out and looks towards the rear of the train :silly:
No, it's been confirmed that:

• The driver had been authorised to pass the siding signal at danger

• The incident has been formally reported

• The incident will not require formal investigation as it does not involve a passenger train and was not on or foul of a passenger line

Last edited: 30/04/2013 at 22:36 by Danny252
Oops 30/04/2013 at 22:47 #44208
postal
5197 posts
" said:
" said:
Bit patronising to RM employees when RM achieves one of the highest next-day delivery rates in the world. Currently running at 93.4% which is above the internal targets (never mind achievement) of most of the countries in the EU.

(And yes, I have a vested interest - I spent nearly 20 years in the planning for the movement of mail round the UK during which time the next day achievement rose from not far over 80% to the current levels).

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Last edited: 30/04/2013 at 22:58 by postal
Oops 30/04/2013 at 23:21 #44209
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:
Bit patronising to RM employees when RM achieves one of the highest next-day delivery rates in the world. Currently running at 93.4% which is above the internal targets (never mind achievement) of most of the countries in the EU.

(And yes, I have a vested interest - I spent nearly 20 years in the planning for the movement of mail round the UK during which time the next day achievement rose from not far over 80% to the current levels).
It seems that I shall add a disclaimer to all jokes in future, noting that all resemblance to persons or organisations, real or otherwise, is entirely coincidental!

Oops 01/05/2013 at 00:56 #44211
postal
5197 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:
" said:

It seems that I shall add a disclaimer to all jokes in future, noting that all resemblance to persons or organisations, real or otherwise, is entirely coincidental!
Bit patronising again?

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Oops 01/05/2013 at 07:24 #44213
BarryM
2158 posts
Another video shows their large breakdown crane/train along side the derailed locomotive with jacks up ready to work.

Barry

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Last edited: 01/05/2013 at 07:25 by BarryM
Oops 01/05/2013 at 19:18 #44227
Stephen Fulcher
2031 posts
" said:
" said:
No, it's been confirmed that:

• The driver had been authorised to pass the siding signal at danger

• The incident has been formally reported

• The incident will not require formal investigation as it does not involve a passenger train and was not on or foul of a passenger line

A formal investigation would achieve little in any case, save to point out the obvious that the GCR will have been well aware of ten seconds after the incident. They will more than likely either amend or re-enforce their procedures anyway, which is all the RAIB could have recommended in the circumstances.

The incident appears by the three bullet points above to be a simple case of a few minor careless errors by two or three people causing what has to be said is a minor derailment. Had it not been a gala weekend with loads of photographers watching it then it would more likely have never come to light in this manner in any case.

Oops 01/05/2013 at 19:28 #44228
Signalhunter
177 posts
" said:
right in front of the driver's face!
The driver would be seated on the side farthest from the signal and possibly not able to see it. However, if he has been "talked past it", it doesn't really matter if he can see it, or not.

Oops 01/05/2013 at 19:41 #44229
northroad
872 posts
Wonderful things social media and web sites. We have here three bullet points obtained from another web site and an assumption that what the media says about our postal service is also correct and is going slower than it ever was. Neither of which appear to be backed up by FACT. Until the GCR hold an in house investigation we will not know what happened or who was to blame and as for the postal service I for one certainly have no complaints.

Let us not judge either. A case of guilty unless proven innocent seems to be the order of the day by some of these comments.

Geoff

The following users said thank you: GeoffM, AndyG