Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Wembley Yard official name?

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (anything else rail-oriented) > Wembley Yard official name?

Page 1 of 1

Wembley Yard official name? 07/08/2014 at 12:15 #63600
Underwood
746 posts
Hello all,

I've put this in the real thing, as it is about the real thing really, but I saw it first mentioned on the Wembley Mainline 2009 TT. I assume EFT is 'Euro Freight Terminal'? So I take that it's basically E.F.O.C, but I looked in my Book 4 Quail Map to see what they call it, and it's simply labeled Wembley Yard EWS International.

Is there an official name for the yard? I note the WTT's online mention 'Eur Frt Ops Cntre', but EFOC and EFT could be another known name but not the official name.

Just curious!

James.

Wembley Yard official name? 07/08/2014 at 12:24 #63601
lazzer
605 posts
One would assume that the name listed in the Sectional Appendix is the "official" one.
Wembley Yard official name? 07/08/2014 at 14:08 #63606
Sacro
1171 posts
" said:
One would assume that the name listed in the Sectional Appendix is the "official" one.
"Offical" yes, official, perhaps not!

The Sectional Appendix (like many other railway documents) has its share of errors.

Wembley Yard official name? 07/08/2014 at 14:13 #63607
lazzer
605 posts
Don't I know it ...
Wembley Yard official name? 07/08/2014 at 14:15 #63608
onlydjw
456 posts
Be careful that there isn't confusion between EFOC (Wembley) and Euroterminal (Willesden). I have seen the Euroterminal referred to as EFT before...
God bless, Daniel Wilson
Wembley Yard official name? 07/08/2014 at 14:50 #63609
Underwood
746 posts
" said:
Be careful that there isn't confusion between EFOC (Wembley) and Euroterminal (Willesden). I have seen the Euroterminal referred to as EFT before...
Well that's what I thought, but I've also seen this online for my timetable:

5Z20 - 01:30 London Kings Cross - Wembley EFT (90024)

Empty coaching stock, surely not to be dumped in the Euroterminal?

**EDIT**

Just looked on the TIPLOC list, WMBYEFT is found under Wembley EFOC

Last edited: 07/08/2014 at 14:51 by Underwood
Wembley Yard official name? 07/08/2014 at 15:06 #63611
officer dibble
390 posts
James,

Wembley Yard is a toss up between, "European Freight Terminal" or "European Freight Operations Centre". Its been a while since I saw the first one used, the second one seems to be the status quo & has been for some time.

Wembley Yard official name? 07/08/2014 at 15:07 #63612
maxand
1637 posts
EFOC = European Freight Operating Centre
Wembley Yard official name? 07/08/2014 at 21:43 #63626
jc92
3629 posts
I've also seen WEFOC used. although I don't think its particularly official
"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Wembley Yard official name? 08/08/2014 at 09:42 #63634
onlydjw
456 posts
This might be of interest.

http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/pullfree.asp?FilePath=ArchiveSignals%5CDownloads%5Cbrtlf&FileName=1993-06.pdf

God bless, Daniel Wilson
Wembley Yard official name? 12/08/2014 at 12:34 #63759
kbarber
1712 posts
" said:
This might be of interest.

http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/pullfree.asp?FilePath=ArchiveSignals%5CDownloads%5Cbrtlf&FileName=1993-06.pdf

Thanks Daniel, part of my history that... I'm not so sure I don't have a copy of the original in the loft somewhere!

EFT was never a term that was used in my time.

Euroterminal was basically the old Willesden Freightliner Terminal (on the down side between South West Sidings and the connection from Acton Canal Wharf).

The yard at Wembley is indeed the Wembley European Freight Operating Centre. But in late 1992/early '93 there was a brief period of concern; railwaymen have long been known for subverting just about any name or acronym and the FOC part of WEFOC was felt to be uncomfortably close to a certain obscenity. (There might also have been a bit of corporate memory involved; Sudbury Hump, which was the site of the new yard, seems to have had a bit of an evil reputation though I don't really know why. But when I was supervisor in Brent Sidings it was rarely spoken of without an oath.) For a while WETOC was touted... Wembley European Train Operating Centre. However the original stuck and I don't think it's been problematised too badly.

The notice shows the situation before the remodelling to accommodate the Royal Mail Terminal, which took up the higher-numbered roads in Brent Sidings as well as a chunk of High Level Sidings and required a lot of alterations. I believe Wembley Yard box was the very devil of a place... terribly easy to get into trouble and the turnover in there was extremely high, partially due (I understand) to the number of signalmen taken out after dropping a clanger.