Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Oops!

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (anything else rail-oriented) > Oops!

Page 1 of 1

Oops! 24/08/2016 at 21:25 #84235
Stephen Fulcher
2025 posts
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/southern-rail-commuters-face-fresh-disruption-caused-by-wrong-sort-of-train-a3328516.html

Looks like a case where the driver needed the SimSig option to start up his emergency diesel generator!

The following users said thank you: WinsfordSaltMine, BarryM, Prof Jolly, kaiwhara
Oops! 25/08/2016 at 13:55 #84241
mfcooper
707 posts
Half of his train was correct; he couldn't raise the pantograph on the rear 4 and had to "phone a friend" before figuring out there wasn't one!
Oops! 25/08/2016 at 17:02 #84242
Danny252
1461 posts
Aha, that makes more sense! Not realising that the unit you're driving doesn't have a pantograph would be quite an impressive feat (presumably there wouldn't be a "raise pantograph" button?) - although on second thoughts, I wouldn't rule it out as not having happened before...
Last edited: 25/08/2016 at 17:05 by Danny252
Oops! 25/08/2016 at 18:08 #84243
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
Yes that makes sense - though I've been on 365s where one unit's pantograph came down and we still continued albeit struggling a bit.

There was an opposite situation a while ago where a pair of 319s left Farringdon for Blackfriars with the rear pantograph still up.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Oops! 25/08/2016 at 18:32 #84244
AndyG
1834 posts
" said:
Half of his train was correct; he couldn't raise the pantograph on the rear 4 and had to "phone a friend" before figuring out there wasn't one!
I believe from my contact that a unit sustained panto damage, the remains being removed at a overnight stabling depot (south of Thames) which didn't hold the required spares, but was OK for service. Unit to be worked back to home depot for repairs.... I think you can see where this is going.

I can only help one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
Oops! 25/08/2016 at 18:59 #84245
Jersey_Mike
250 posts
Metro-North avoids this problem because all the New Haven Line trains that operate under catenary are painted red, while the 750V DC trains are painted blue. I think there are some NHL locals that run to the end of third rail at Mt. Vernon. Not sure if they use the DC only stock.
Oops! 25/08/2016 at 19:40 #84246
clive
2738 posts
" said:
Not realising that the unit you're driving doesn't have a pantograph would be quite an impressive feat (presumably there wouldn't be a "raise pantograph" button?)
When South Eastern (or whatever they were called then) had some of the 365s, did they have a "raise pantograph" button? They didn't have any pans.

(I remember the Dahn Sarf gricers complaining how bad 365s were. Strangely enough, once Hornsey started actually maintaining them, they worked fine for us.)

Oops! 25/08/2016 at 21:16 #84249
mfcooper
707 posts
" said:
I believe from my contact that a unit sustained panto damage, the remains being removed at a overnight stabling depot (south of Thames) which didn't hold the required spares, but was OK for service. Unit to be worked back to home depot for repairs.... I think you can see where this is going.

Nope! The rear unit was a 377/4, which is not even fitted with a pantograph.

Oops! 25/08/2016 at 21:43 #84251
IrishDave
51 posts
In any case, Southern's dual-voltage units are based at Selhurst, which is where the train started from in the morning. So even if it had been a 377/2 it would already have been at its home depot.
Oops! 26/08/2016 at 08:24 #84258
kbarber
1712 posts
There is a story from the Sou'Western back in the 1980s, of a driver who relieved an up road (4-TC leading) at Basingstoke. (I should explain that the 4-TCs were unpowered but otherwise not easily distinguishable from main-line Southern EMUs of that generation; they were designed to be pushed from Waterloo to Bournemouth by a 4-REP, a high-power EMU built specially for that duty, then at Bournemouth they would hook off the REP and couple to an adapted cl33 to work push-pull to Weymouth, loco leading on the down run and pushing on the return so they could run straight on to the waiting REP and depart after a hardly-longer-than-usual station stop.)

As he drove up to London he found acceleration was none too brilliant; certainly not what you'd expect from a 4-REP, even with a couple of 4-TCs to shove. But top speed was still OK and there are plenty of reasons for lack of power so he thought nothing of it. Duly arrived at Waterloo, he screwed the unit down and, as booked, went to the mess room for PNB.

As he settled to his sandwich, an announcement came over the tannoy asking the driver who'd brought a loco in to go and move it. He took no notice then, nor when it was repeated a few minutes later. Eventually, the Traincrew Supervisor accosted him in person, asking him what train he'd brought in then requesting him to move the offending loco. He denied ever having moved the loco concerned: "I can't, I'm a 'Juice Jockey'" (i.e. not trained on diesel traction). It was only when taken down and walked along the platform that he realised the train he'd relieved was an up Salisbury and he'd been driving an 8-TC with a 33 shoving from the rear! (It was said he never again relieved a train without first checking the back end as well as the front.)

The following users said thank you: Gwasanaethau, Forest Pines, KymriskaDraken, Stephen Fulcher, BarryM, ajax103, headshot119
Oops! 26/08/2016 at 13:59 #84265
Lardybiker
771 posts
" said:
There is a story from the Sou'Western back in the 1980s, of a driver who relieved an up road (4-TC leading) at Basingstoke. (I should explain that the 4-TCs were unpowered but otherwise not easily distinguishable from main-line Southern EMUs of that generation; they were designed to be pushed from Waterloo to Bournemouth by a 4-REP, a high-power EMU built specially for that duty, then at Bournemouth they would hook off the REP and couple to an adapted cl33 to work push-pull to Weymouth, loco leading on the down run and pushing on the return so they could run straight on to the waiting REP and depart after a hardly-longer-than-usual station stop.)

As he drove up to London he found acceleration was none too brilliant; certainly not what you'd expect from a 4-REP, even with a couple of 4-TCs to shove. But top speed was still OK and there are plenty of reasons for lack of power so he thought nothing of it. Duly arrived at Waterloo, he screwed the unit down and, as booked, went to the mess room for PNB.

As he settled to his sandwich, an announcement came over the tannoy asking the driver who'd brought a loco in to go and move it. He took no notice then, nor when it was repeated a few minutes later. Eventually, the Traincrew Supervisor accosted him in person, asking him what train he'd brought in then requesting him to move the offending loco. He denied ever having moved the loco concerned: "I can't, I'm a 'Juice Jockey'" (i.e. not trained on diesel traction). It was only when taken down and walked along the platform that he realised the train he'd relieved was an up Salisbury and he'd been driving an 8-TC with a 33 shoving from the rear! (It was said he never again relieved a train without first checking the back end as well as the front.)
Another one for your book Keith!

The following users said thank you: Gwasanaethau, JamesN, postal, BarryM