Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Who's Online

SwinDid - Freight train Destinations

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Swindon A and B > SwinDid - Freight train Destinations

Page 1 of 2

SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 29/04/2012 at 14:33 #31953
Fireman Pat
69 posts
First off..can't seem to find a board category for this sim?...

Main query.....Due to a very wet, windy and downright miserable Sunday, decided to try my hand at the default SwinDid sim and its associated (modern) TT. I have had a couple of goes at this sim but have been put off by it's apparent (to me) complexity and have therefore taken refuge in the Bristol or Exeter sims which I'm now very familiar with.

Don't know this area well, despite being an ex BR (WR) siggie so a little bit nervous..

One thing that has struck me..I don't seem to be familiar with most freight train destinations and I'm looking for help in routeing these trains (non ARS) with more confidence than at present.

For example..where is Colnbrook Terminal? I have a freight coming off the Oxford branch and I thoughtlessly routed it towards Reading :sick: whereas should have sent it West.

Couple more examples,,Leeds FLT (self explanatory, but goes via Oxford?) Also Felixtowe..which route does this train take? Calvert FLT?? Where is that? Toton..I know is Nottingham?? You get my drift.

All in all an addictive sim and well designed.

If there is anywhere I can be pointed towards to help me get this info please feel free to post.

PS: What is the significance and operational methodology of the LC at Appleford?

Re: SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 29/04/2012 at 14:38 #31954
jc92
3629 posts
appleford LC is normally down, and is only raised when a user rings up to request access to the terminal at appleford.

in regards on non ARS routing of trains, go into settings (F3) and set ARS info to popup window which will show the trains exact booked path

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Re: SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 29/04/2012 at 15:05 #31955
2650 posts
In reply to your quieries regarding freight train routing on the SwinDid sim this may help you:-
Colnbrook Terminal is on the West Drayton branch, so as you signalled it towards Reading that was correct.
Felixstowe would be routed towards Reading.
Calvert should be routed towards Oxford.
Toton should also be routed towards Oxford.

Re: SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 29/04/2012 at 15:22 #31956
Sam Tugwell
493 posts
Stuff from Southampton Millbrook FLT comes up the line from Basingstoke - Southcote Jn and takes the spur round onto the GWML. IT then goes up through Oxford and Leamington to Bordersley Junction and round past Washwood Heath that way (I think).
"Signalman Exeter"
Last edited: 29/04/2012 at 16:01 by Sam Tugwell
Reason: Wrong Junction name

Re: SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 29/04/2012 at 15:42 #31958
postal
5190 posts
" said:
That's because the Board calls it Swindon A & B not Swindid!

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Re: SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 29/04/2012 at 15:53 #31959
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
" said:

One thing that has struck me..I don't seem to be familiar with most freight train destinations and I'm looking for help in routeing these trains (non ARS) with more confidence than at present.

For example..where is Colnbrook Terminal? I have a freight coming off the Oxford branch and I thoughtlessly routed it towards Reading :sick: whereas should have sent it West.

Couple more examples,,Leeds FLT (self explanatory, but goes via Oxford?) Also Felixtowe..which route does this train take? Calvert FLT?? Where is that? Toton..I know is Nottingham?? You get my drift.
If you look at the timetable you should see all the timed locations which should give you a clue. If you only look at the headline destinations then you may need to invest in an atlas.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Last edited: 29/04/2012 at 15:54 by Peter Bennet
Re: SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 29/04/2012 at 15:57 #31960
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
" said:
" said:
That's because the Board calls it Swindon A & B not Swindid!
SwinDid was my working title for it when I was revising all those years ago and it seems to have stuck as it's [unofficial] name.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Re: SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 29/04/2012 at 16:47 #31962
Fireman Pat
69 posts
Thank you all for the very useful replies. Yes, I normally only look at the destination rather than intermediate points using F2. I'll change that habit!!
Re: SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 29/04/2012 at 20:49 #31976
Josie
310 posts
" said:
Thank you all for the very useful replies. Yes, I normally only look at the destination rather than intermediate points using F2. I'll change that habit!!
Dangerous habit to get in to - not all timetables have a full description for each train. Some use TIPLOC codes (which is fine for the local ones you know, until one comes along to Lower Timbuktu Exchange Sidings and you don't know which direction LWRTMBKTU is) and some just tell you what sort of unit/train it is with no information about its destination. Depends on which details the timetable author has decided to use!

Something you can usually rely on though is the train reporting numbers - for example on Exeter 2006, you know that 1Axx trains are going towards London via the Great Western, 1Sxx are to Scotland via Bristol, 2Axx the stopping trains towards Paignton, etc.

As for Appleford LC, here's what it looks like to road users: photo from Geograph.

The following user said thank you: pilotman
Re: SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 29/04/2012 at 21:51 #31981
AndyG
1834 posts
" said:
As for Appleford LC, here's what it looks like to road users: photo from Geograph.
I've actually been a 'road-user' there, pressed the button, had 2 trains pass, called up sigger, had to wait for another 2 to pass - and all after 11pm too.

I can only help one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
Re: SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 29/04/2012 at 22:43 #31985
BarryM
2158 posts
" said:
" said:
I've actually been a 'road-user' there, pressed the button, had 2 trains pass, called up sigger, had to wait for another 2 to pass - and all after 11pm too.
Sigger must of thought, not another one of these 11pm "tipsy drivers". lol!

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Re: SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 29/04/2012 at 23:16 #31988
AndyG
1834 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:
Sigger must of thought, not another one of these 11pm "tipsy drivers". lol!
Was actually marshalling on an Armed Forces navigational event, so the sigger had 35 Landrovers to cross over it later....at notional 1 minute intervals!

I can only help one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
Last edited: 29/04/2012 at 23:17 by AndyG
The following user said thank you: BarryM
Re: SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 03/05/2012 at 08:02 #32073
moonraker
353 posts
I'll bet that was fun . Hit a tree that got blown down by the wind between the crossing and the station on the down road some years ago on a Turbo. That was interesting because it nearly caved the windscreen in on my side and had to crawl to Oxford at reduced speed to stop it completely coming in :S
SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 22/10/2012 at 13:41 #36795
Class 86
59 posts
Hey Guys... Just a question on the Sim. I'm working on a Timetable (May - Dec 2012) and there are a few Trains which are scheduled to "Didcot Distribution Center". It is a seperate location in the Book, so I guess it may be not in the Area of the TC.
Could it be at Milton Sidings or do I have to send the trains into the TC?

Thanks for any replies

SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 22/10/2012 at 13:52 #36796
officer dibble
390 posts
Didcot DC is the new name for Milton Sdgs, was renamed when Reading Yard shut and Freightliner started to use it for berthing/stabling their aggregate traffc from Bristol/Wales to the South East of England.

If it helps at all, I have attached a Excel spreadsheet of GWML freight train lengths for the Didcot & Swindon areas taken from info at work, and are actual lengths of the trains operateed by FL/DBS etc etc.

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
The following user said thank you: Class 86
SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 22/10/2012 at 14:00 #36797
Class 86
59 posts
Thanks a lot for your answer and your Help
SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 23/10/2012 at 04:50 #36814
pilotman
189 posts
I have seen the following query somewhere on the forum, but now cannot find it - apologies. Freights seem to query travelling on freight lines; presumably they should not?
SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 27/10/2012 at 05:15 #36948
pilotman
189 posts
Must be a very difficult query I've posed as no-one has replied !!
SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 27/10/2012 at 09:24 #36952
postal
5190 posts
Or there is not enough information in the original query for anyone to post a sensible answer. TDs, lines involved etc would be helpful.
“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 27/10/2012 at 10:22 #36953
pilotman
189 posts
The problem is not specific to a particular train or route. As an example a freight routed to Cocklebury and sitting in P3 Swindon first reports "incorrect route set". After abandoning the timetable the message "routed on to a Goods line - OK to proceed" appears.
Ray

SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 27/10/2012 at 10:32 #36954
y10g9
895 posts
" said:
The problem is not specific to a particular train or route. As an example a freight routed to Cocklebury and sitting in P3 Swindon first reports "incorrect route set". After abandoning the timetable the message "routed on to a Goods line - OK to proceed" appears.
Ray

that just sounds like use freightline speeds hasn't been ticked.

SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 27/10/2012 at 12:16 #36959
pilotman
189 posts
Thanks for that but where is that tick box please?
SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 27/10/2012 at 12:51 #36963
jc92
3629 posts
" said:
Ray
a freight train (class 0 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) shouldnt require that box ticked to use a goods line(they should always accept goods lines. it is only really needed for parcels/mail running under Cl.1 headcodes, or for test trains, snowploughs, breakdowns etc. so the sim can differenciate between actual passenger train and priority "goods" train.

Ray can you confirm which classes of freight are ringing in wrong road? if Cl.3-9s are ringing in then there must be a sim issue.

joe

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Last edited: 27/10/2012 at 12:52 by jc92
SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 27/10/2012 at 12:56 #36964
postal
5190 posts
" said:
Ray can you confirm which classes of freight are ringing in wrong road? if Cl.3-9s are ringing in then there must be a sim issue.
And if possible the TT used and the TD just in case there is a TT issue rather than a sim issue.

Also, are you running with the ARS on or off because that is another possible area where the software could be getting indigestion?

SwinDid - Freight train Destinations 27/10/2012 at 14:45 #36971
pilotman
189 posts
Thanks chaps. This occurs with trains carrying "9" headcodes. The tt is Swindid A&B 1979, which is a bit beta I believe, so not a Simsig issue per se I think. This tt does not support ARS 100% so I am running with it "off". Cheers