Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Who's Online

BenWright, Richard Gore, JamesN, DriverCurran, geswedey, Terry (6 users seen recently)

Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Timetables > Exeter > Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985

Page 1 of 2

Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 31/10/2013 at 21:56 #50485
Simdmuk
153 posts
Now in the download section,three Summer timetables for Exeter.

First is Summer Sunday 1980 . Although a Sunday,still keeps you busy !

Secondly a very slightly revised version of the previously released Summer Sunday 1985,just a few tweaks really.

Finally Summer Saturday 1985,a fairly busy timetable at the time when Exeter PSB first started operation.

All three are based upon the working timetables with some extra engineering works trains,relief's etc added.Individual Traction notes for most services.

Please see the notes on each of the timetables as some movements will require special measures.

The following users said thank you: Temple Meads, MikeW, Sam Tugwell, GoochyB, bossman
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 01/11/2013 at 14:36 #50504
GoochyB
222 posts
Thanks loads for these - my favourite era and location as it was my 'local' at the time.

I'm up to about 0200 so far, I think I've found one error in the TT. 1C80-2 arrives ExSD P1 (from Taunton) and detaches vans at rear. OC33 enters at Riv Yd (S) and its TT says it goes direct to P1 to join 1C80-2, but 1C80 is continuing south so that would mean it joined the rear (notwithstanding that the detached vans are in the way anyway!), so I think 0C33 should run through ExSD to Rev ExSD South before joining 1C80-2 in P1 thereby piloting it.

Last edited: 01/11/2013 at 14:40 by GoochyB
Reason: typo

The following user said thank you: Simdmuk
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 01/11/2013 at 20:04 #50535
Simdmuk
153 posts
Thanks for the comments.The Exeter area was my local for many years too ! Still visit the folks from time to time.

The error you mention is not an error as such,but it has highlighted a small error in the rules. 0C33 should enter P1 before 1C80-2 arrives at St Davids.1C80 should then be called on so it joins the pilot and detaching the vans that form 5C80.

I've run it again and sometimes 1C80 arrives early so 0C33 enters after 1C80 arrives,so I've amended the rule.

The following user said thank you: GoochyB
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 01/05/2014 at 08:28 #59874
maxand
1637 posts
Thanks Simon for these timetables. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Your original post states:
Quote:
Please see the notes on each of the timetables as some movements will require special measures.
I've downloaded the TTs but no notes are included, nor have I been able to find any in the sim manual apart from a brief summary, similar to that in the download section. Are there any available for these particular TTs or did you mean the general notes as in the manual for Exeter (comprehensive enough, I think)?

Furthermore, on the manual > Timetables page there is no reference to the Exeter Summer Sunday 1980 v2.227 or the Exeter Summer Saturday 1985 V2.227.

Additionaly, the Downloads page lacks a "Short description" for Exeter Summer Saturday 1985 V2.227.

This highlights a very common problem. Altogether there are three web pages describing these timetables, which means that all three need to be kept in sync. One fundamental rule when compiling databases is never duplicate data, for exactly this reason.

As much as I appreciate the effort that has been put into the Wiki version it might be better just to keep the info on which TTs are bundled with which version of the sim, then refer forum members to the download section which should always be up to date, deleting everything else. I am happy to go ahead and do this if others agree.

Last edited: 01/05/2014 at 08:30 by maxand
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 01/05/2014 at 08:43 #59876
JamesN
1575 posts
While there is no defined standard as to what should be written where, the following is how I feel it should be done:

Sim Manual on Wiki - Table of available timetables, their authors, version numbers and release dates
Timetable Description in Remositry - abridged version of the Description field for the timetable in-sim
Timetable Manual/Notes - text document bundled with WTT(/WTR) file detailing any complex moves the user should pay attention to, known issues if there are any, changelog etc etc.

The alternative option Max, is notes made in the description field of the timetable window.

Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 01/05/2014 at 10:56 #59883
maxand
1637 posts
I agree. "Timetable Manual/Notes on Wiki" is not on your list so I'll take that as support of my proposal.

I'll wait a little while longer and if no one else comes up with a better suggestion I'll go ahead as planned.

As it's some months since these TTs were released, an alternative is for the TT developer to post any special notes about them in this thread.

Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 01/05/2014 at 11:30 #59888
northroad
870 posts
" said:
I agree. "Timetable Manual/Notes on Wiki" is not on your list so I'll take that as support of my proposal.

I'll wait a little while longer and if no one else comes up with a better suggestion I'll go ahead as planned.

As it's some months since these TTs were released, an alternative is for the TT developer to post any special notes about them in this thread.
Max,
I tried unsuccessfully sometime ago to get the writers of timetables to update their work to reflect items that were found once released to all of us Sim Sig users. Some were very receptive and do so, others stated that they did not wish to do so for various reasons but quite correctly pointed out that it reflected the timetable that was used to create it, thus reflecting what you the signaller was given and had to work their way round any problems. On reflection to my initial dislike to that I now fully understand where they are coming from.
To his credit "Postal" undertook an exercise on the Wiki to list the various timetables that had been released in addition to those that came bundled with a Sim. I suspect that any attempt to point out all the quirks for all of the released timetables will never list all problems encountered and could not possibly do so. As you well know quite a few of the timetables that did work before the new core code Sims were released do not now or do with some adjustments being required. People are working on this exercise as we speak ( which we are all grateful for) and until each and every Sim has had them changed where necessary you may have a difficult task.
We should all be grateful for what we have but also realise that it may not be possible on the Wiki to reflect a perfect world of signalling that everyone knows does not exist.

Geoff

Last edited: 01/05/2014 at 11:39 by northroad
The following users said thank you: postal, maxand, BarryM
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 01/05/2014 at 21:18 #59919
Simdmuk
153 posts
Hi Max

The notes referred to, are in the general Description of the Timetables when you open and run the sim. Also when calling up the timetable, whilst running the sim ,they can be found under the "Timetable Description" window of the Timetable list.I prefer this personally as you do not then need to view separate docs whilst running the sim.

The notes simply refer to certain movements or area's which may need special attention or manual intervention etc. They are not there to explain every movement as most will be fairly explanatory. The Wiki covers the operation of each sim and as Northroad stated some timetables will always have certain quirks depending on scenarios selected etc.Also some timetables do have "problems" which were part of the workings at the time,which some developers like to keep intact.

I don't know why the timetables mention are not in the manual list.This may well be due to the fact that this is a works in progress.

You are correct that the short description is missing for the Exeter Summer Saturday 1985 V2.227. I did do one but don't know why its not there. I do intend to update this timetable for the loader version e'g seed trains etc, so it will be hopefully added.

I'm not to keen on posting notes about timetables on forum threads as this can get very disjointed and like others,the developer may not always be available time wise to answer every point or query instantly. Other users may not wish to trawl through forum notes which could otherwise be put into the timetable.

The following user said thank you: maxand
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 02/05/2014 at 01:26 #59922
maxand
1637 posts
Thanks, I found the notes you were referring to in the Timetable List for each timetable.
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 02/05/2014 at 11:33 #59925
maxand
1637 posts
There is a downside in confining a TT's notes to the Description window in the General tab of the F4 Timetable List window, and that is that one has to install the TT before one can read the notes! Normally this wouldn't matter a great deal, but in the case of Exeter one might not be able to remember what year Tiverton Junction became Tiverton Parkway (1986) and there is a checkbox that must be checked if necessary (checked in the case of these TTs) before one can start playing in order to open the Timetable Window in order to read the notes in order to find out whether this box should have been checked!

Ideally the zip file containing the TTs should contain a Readme.txt file containing a copy of these notes, but if not, you can easily copy these notes as described here to your own readme file and store this for when you next play this TT and forgot whether or not to tick the checkbox.

Of course, you can also find the info on Tiverton by reading the Exeter manual, but this would not contain any other details pertaining to this particular TT.

Last edited: 02/05/2014 at 11:35 by maxand
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 02/05/2014 at 11:35 #59926
jc92
3629 posts
if the Sim manual indicates Tiverton parkway opened in 1986, and the timetable is for 1980 or 1985, I would have imagined this option would have been self evident?
"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
The following user said thank you: Simdmuk
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 02/05/2014 at 14:13 #59935
Danny252
1461 posts
Please, Max, tell me what the "Description of selected timetable" window is for, then. You know, the one you see before you select any other simulation options? Or did you skip past reading that in your excitement about having another amazing bug or oversight to report?
Last edited: 02/05/2014 at 14:14 by Danny252
The following users said thank you: TimTamToe, Simdmuk
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 04/05/2014 at 10:05 #60020
lazzer
605 posts
Just found a small discrepancy in the 1985 Saturday TT. 5C30 enters Goodrington at 05.55 for Paignton P2. The TT shows its arrival time at Paignton as 15.57! I suspect this is a typo, and should be 05.57. :)

EDIT: It just arrived at Paignton 600 minutes early. :blink:

The onward working, 2C30, has the correct timings.

Last edited: 04/05/2014 at 10:07 by lazzer
The following users said thank you: maxand, Simdmuk
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 04/05/2014 at 11:37 #60024
maxand
1637 posts
To Danny252: As a matter of fact, I did skip by that tiny, cramped little window you are referring to, as it seemed to offer nothing more than a general description of the timetable without going into too much detail. Somehow my poor literal brain interpreted "Description" as simply that - a description, not a set of notes.

Scrolling down it quickly, I missed the reference to Tiverton Junction, but it's now obvious to me that this is the same file that is repeated in the Description window of the TT List > General tab. This window is significantly wider and deeper than the one seen when selecting a TT, which is as it should be. A description should be nothing more than a brief summary. If the developer wants to append a full set of notes, well and good, but please prefix it with a heading "Notes:" so we can all see there's more to read.

Although I can appreciate the value of incorporating notes on a TT into the Description file to make them available even in play without needing to open a separate Readme.txt file, IMO simply doing this without bundling the same information in a text file included in the original zip strikes me as being a little too clever for the average user's good. It's not intuitively obvious to the average user that the text can be copied (albeit Ctrl+A doesn't work here) and pasted into a text file, making it easier to read. Why make him do that? It still doesn't entirely solve the catch-22 problem that the user has to install the TT before he can read the notes.

You seem to think I find bugs and oversights amazing and exciting. Well, I don't. We all make mistakes, but if you track them back you will find one or more points of confusion leading to error. What is amazing is how quickly minor points of confusion can build up into one big thundercloud of discouragement.

Last edited: 04/05/2014 at 11:45 by maxand
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 04/05/2014 at 12:29 #60025
Steamer
3922 posts
" said:

Scrolling down it quickly, I missed the reference to Tiverton Junction, but it's now obvious to me that this is the same file that is repeated in the Description window of the TT List > General tab. This window is significantly wider and deeper than the one seen when selecting a TT, which is as it should be. A description should be nothing more than a brief summary. If the developer wants to append a full set of notes, well and good, but please prefix it with a heading "Notes:" so we can all see there's more to read.
Have you actually read the description? I quote the second paragraph, the first being a basic description:

Quote:
As Tiverton Parkway was not then open,you will need to tick the "Tiverton Junction" box on the scenario set up.
A bit further down:

Quote:
Notes:-
I can see your point about including a separate .txt file, but don't blame SimSig or the TT writer if you can't be bothered reading the information supplied to you.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I did skip by that tiny, cramped little window you are referring to, as it seemed to offer nothing more than a general description of the timetable without going into too much detail. Somehow my poor literal brain interpreted "Description" as simply that - a description, not a set of notes
I'm quite surprised you thought the Description wouldn't contain a fairly major piece of information which affects startup options.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
The following user said thank you: TimTamToe
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 04/05/2014 at 13:22 #60031
TimTamToe
656 posts
" said:
To Danny252: As a matter of fact, I did skip by that tiny, cramped little window you are referring to, as it seemed to offer nothing more than a general description of the timetable without going into too much detail. Somehow my poor literal brain interpreted "Description" as simply that - a description, not a set of notes.

Although I can appreciate the value of incorporating notes on a TT into the Description file to make them available even in play without needing to open a separate Readme.txt file, IMO simply doing this without bundling the same information in a text file included in the original zip strikes me as being a little too clever for the average user's good. It's not intuitively obvious to the average user that the text can be copied (albeit Ctrl+A doesn't work here) and pasted into a text file, making it easier to read. Why make him do that? It still doesn't entirely solve the catch-22 problem that the user has to install the TT before he can read the notes.

You seem to think I find bugs and oversights amazing and exciting. Well, I don't. We all make mistakes, but if you track them back you will find one or more points of confusion leading to error. What is amazing is how quickly minor points of confusion can build up into one big thundercloud of discouragement.
As TT writers we do help by giving you a description of what settings you need to run the sim first; which appears before you get to select various sim options; its not just a stab in the dark for the end user. I would say if there is more to scroll then there is obviously more to read. You cannot blame the TT writer if you scrolled too fast and missed the information that was given.

Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 04/05/2014 at 17:37 #60040
Steamer
3922 posts
To expand on my earlier post:

" said:
A description should be nothing more than a brief summary. If the developer wants to append a full set of notes, well and good, but please prefix it with a heading "Notes:" so we can all see there's more to read.
Is a brief summary an accurate description though? For example, take my descriptions for Wolverhampton 2014 and CScot 2013 (on the Forum here and here). I'm trying to give a flavour of a timetable running for 24 hours, containing several hundred trains, as well as giving people an idea of how busy it is. That's the shortest I can get it without losing fairly important information. Looking at the Sunday 1980 TT, it's the same. All the information contained there is useful, and should be read in order to run the TT correctly. Especially as the writer acknowledges a couple of compromises made when writing the TT. You mention knowing of there's more to read- surely the scrollbar to the right of the description advertises this? When it's at the bottom, you've read everything.

Quote:
Although I can appreciate the value of incorporating notes on a TT into the Description file to make them available even in play without needing to open a separate Readme.txt file, IMO simply doing this without bundling the same information in a text file included in the original zip strikes me as being a little too clever for the average user's good. It's not intuitively obvious to the average user that the text can be copied (albeit Ctrl+A doesn't work here) and pasted into a text file, making it easier to read.
I disagree with your point about intuition. Intuition is a combination of natural instinct and past experience, and is therefore different to each individual. By my experience, text which causes the cursor to turn into an I shape can be highlighted and copied. Equally, while Ctrl+A is intuitive to you, it isn't to me- it's not one I tend to use. Having said that, I see your point about duplicating the notes in a .txt file and will include this in any future TTs I upload.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
The following user said thank you: maxand
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 05/05/2014 at 01:55 #60050
maxand
1637 posts
We all know that in some TTs, the Description is nothing more than that - a brief summary, probably because there isn't much in the TT that isn't covered in the main sim manual. In others the Description is more detailed.

I'm not going to recommend how detailed a description for a particular TT should be, though I feel it should be detailed enough to mention peculiarities such as getting trains into and out of sidings that are not used by the default TT bundled with the sim, for example. A more important issue is whether a TT's description should be open to amendment by being duplicated in the Wiki; I don't think it should, but maybe the file included in the download should be date-stamped so that users can compare it with an earlier version if needed.

How much detail is too much? From my point of view, anyone experienced enough with SimSig to write a TT must find it hard to come down from these atmospheric heights to novice level, as a result of which notes regarded as adequate by the developer may seem maddeningly cryptic to others. I'm all in favour of more step by step "walk-throughs", complete with screen shots, just as on other websites devoted to commercial games. IMO these are best written not by the developer but by a relative novice who has just played through it once so is better able to identify where clarification is needed.

I also think it important that a TT developer should clearly state exactly where notes for his TT are found, to avoid hunting around for them as I did. Something like: "For further details see readme.txt file included with download", or "For further details, load timetable into SimSig and read Description on startup".

One more point. It's difficult enough to learn how to play SimSig, let alone understand TT syntax. It's a big ask to expect all but experienced players to edit someone else's TT just for the game to run smoothly. Therefore developers should be quick to update TTs frequently as bugs emerge, and admins should be quick to accept them and delete earlier buggy versions.

Last edited: 05/05/2014 at 02:01 by maxand
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 05/05/2014 at 07:59 #60057
Steamer
3922 posts
" said:

I'm not going to recommend how detailed a description for a particular TT should be, though I feel it should be detailed enough to mention peculiarities such as getting trains into and out of sidings that are not used by the default TT bundled with the sim, for example.
Operation of sidings is a simulation issue, and is covered in the manual. In any case, most sidings behave in the same way, and should be fairly easy to work out from the timetable locations. Those that are more complex are explained in the Wiki.

Quote:
A more important issue is whether a TT's description should be open to amendment by being duplicated in the Wiki; I don't think it should, but maybe the file included in the download should be date-stamped so that users can compare it with an earlier version if needed.
Most TT writers would put something like "V1.2 Changes" at the start of the TT if the TT had changed beyond bug fixes.

Quote:
How much detail is too much? From my point of view, anyone experienced enough with SimSig to write a TT must find it hard to come down from these atmospheric heights to novice level, as a result of which notes regarded as adequate by the developer may seem maddeningly cryptic to others. I'm all in favour of more step by step "walk-throughs", complete with screen shots, just as on other websites devoted to commercial games. IMO these are best written not by the developer but by a relative novice who has just played through it once so is better able to identify where clarification is needed.
On the other hand, where do you draw the line with screenshots and walkthroughs? Sidings are all pretty much identical, and those with more complicated slotting arrangements are explained in the Wiki. I don't play many other commercial games, but the supplied walkthroughs I've seen guide the user through part of the first level, and leave it at that. In SimSig, that's the equivalent of the Royston tutor. If you make a set of walkthroughs for absolutely everything, (a) you'll be there a very long time, and (b) 99% of them won't get used, because people will recognise the same situations again and again, and react accordingly. Having read a few user-written walkthroughs, as the levels go on what took a paragraph to explain at the start is covered in a sentence. It's the same on the Wiki- General Information pages to spell it all out, and then the simulation manuals cover what's unusual. It's also the users responsibility to actively engage with the simulation and the resources provided, and look up unfamiliar objects on the display. Thinking your way around problems (instead of running straight for a walkthrough) is also a skill that will pay you back many times in the long run. Experience and confidence doesn't come from reading the manual, it comes from diving in, making mistakes and learning from them. As experience grows, what appeared strange becomes second nature. Running a train service requires quick thinking and good judgement, which can't be taught from a book.

Quote:
I also think it important that a TT developer should clearly state exactly where notes for his TT are found, to avoid hunting around for them as I did. Something like: "For further details see readme.txt file included with download", or "For further details, load timetable into SimSig and read Description on startup".
Surely a .txt file in the same zip as the WTT and WTR named "Timetable Notes" is perfectly obvious? I would also point out you didn't have to 'hunt them down', you saw the text and deliberately didn't read it.

Quote:
One more point. It's difficult enough to learn how to play SimSig, let alone understand TT syntax. It's a big ask to expect all but experienced players to edit someone else's TT just for the game to run smoothly. Therefore developers should be quick to update TTs frequently as bugs emerge, and admins should be quick to accept them and delete earlier buggy versions.
Blimey, talk about teaching grandma to suck eggs- bugs are normally fixed within a reasonable timescale. You may be surprised by this, but experienced players don't like bugs either.

Last edited: 05/05/2014 at 21:40 by Steamer
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 05/05/2014 at 10:59 #60062
Simdmuk
153 posts
" said:
Just found a small discrepancy in the 1985 Saturday TT. 5C30 enters Goodrington at 05.55 for Paignton P2. The TT shows its arrival time at Paignton as 15.57! I suspect this is a typo, and should be 05.57. :)

EDIT: It just arrived at Paignton 600 minutes early. :blink:

The onward working, 2C30, has the correct timings.

Thanks Lazzer. Yep, slip of the keyboard :doh Correct it should be 0557

Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 05/05/2014 at 17:04 #60084
postal
5190 posts
" said:
Therefore developers should be quick to update TTs frequently as bugs emerge, and admins should be quick to accept them and delete earlier buggy versions.
Max

Once again you are pontificating while disregarding (or being unaware of) the facts. The TT writer is more than likely not the same person as the developer and in many cases the TT may have been written without the knowledge of the developer so the developer has no way (and come to that in many cases no right) to update a TT. He/she may care to issue an amended TT under a different title, but that is not what you are suggesting.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 05/05/2014 at 17:57 #60088
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
As alluded to by John (Postal) the Sims normally come with a bundled timetable and that is the only timetable I, as a developer of the Sim, accept responsibility for (even if not written directly by me). All timetables submitted by users to the Download area are accepted in good faith and made available as-is.

As previously intimated we ask that it is made clear in the upload title which Sim version the timetable as written on so at least down loaders have some idea of what it'll work on. As an aside there are now 7 timetables awaiting authorisation - none of which adhere to the required naming rules and very few have any download description annotation.

On the matter of timetable notes, for some Sims on the Wiki there is a link to a timetable page with short descriptions of the timetable and where any specific operational notes can be added. However as others have noted, largely the operational notes are how to operate the Sim features which are in the Sim notes. I do agree that there does not seem to be any particular format for doing timetable notes and I'm sometimes a little unsure how to best do this when do it.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 05/05/2014 at 18:07 #60089
lazzer
605 posts
" said:
As an aside there are now 7 timetables awaiting authorisation - none of which adhere to the required naming rules and very few have any download description annotation.
I meant to ask you about this when it was six TTs awaiting authorisation. Do you contact the person who submitted it, to tell them it needs amending, or does it just sit in a queue, waiting for the TT writer to notice it hasn't been accepted?

Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 05/05/2014 at 18:31 #60092
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
" said:
" said:
As an aside there are now 7 timetables awaiting authorisation - none of which adhere to the required naming rules and very few have any download description annotation.
I meant to ask you about this when it was six TTs awaiting authorisation. Do you contact the person who submitted it, to tell them it needs amending, or does it just sit in a queue, waiting for the TT writer to notice it hasn't been accepted?
I have made contact in the past but never heard back (not necessarily the same person) and eventually deleted. Now I await contact, I've not checked who the people involved this time are.

Peter

Exeter Summer Timetables 1980/1985 05/05/2014 at 18:38 #60094
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
Have approved one (N Wales Coast) where I added the Sim v-number myself, the rest was completed quite well.

5 others are the same person's.

Peter

Last edited: 05/05/2014 at 18:40 by Peter Bennet