Upcoming Games

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Marylebone screen

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (signalling) > Marylebone screen

Page 1 of 1

Marylebone screen 05/08/2010 at 10:36 #1564
jamie
8 posts
Whilst waiting for my Wrexham & Shropshire train yesterday at Marylebone I noticed this on the back wall of the Customer Help point between Upper Crust and WHSmiths - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ketmonkey/4862909038/
Marylebone screen 05/08/2010 at 14:00 #10487
officer dibble
390 posts
nice stuff, looks like a considerably larger version of TMIS by Bombardier that we have in our announcers office at work.
Marylebone screen 08/08/2010 at 15:06 #10573
tgb
19 posts
There's quite a few of these about if you have time to look around. They're usually to aid staff. I noticed one the other day on Gatwick Airport platform 3. Its by the London end escalators/stairs, about waist high in a small metal cabinet. The lid is usually open and it shows the Gatwick area.

Tony

Marylebone screen 31/08/2010 at 20:53 #11218
Sprite
3 posts
I think there are a few small ones in the help point by the barriers (Platform side) at Leeds
Marylebone screen 03/09/2010 at 01:14 #11261
tccb
14 posts
There's one at Manchester Picc at the information desk in the middle of the concourse. They don't look like IECC, more like an overview. I couldn't understand at all what was going on!
Marylebone screen 15/11/2010 at 19:14 #12515
jimgos2005
129 posts
I think its for train despatch staff to see where certain trains are in case of late running and delays also helpful during the peak especially at Marylebone due to the short turn round times of trains there never had it when I was there had to radio the signalman.

Hope this helps

Marylebone screen 21/11/2010 at 12:07 #12583
outofsection
149 posts
The one at Marylebone is very useful for me to see which platform my train is coming in on - which gives me a better chance of actually getting a seat on the train! Amersham trains are usually 2BXX or 2CXX But there again, it's usually "out in the wild blue yonder" of platform 6!!
Marylebone screen 21/11/2010 at 14:14 #12584
Osprey
35 posts
I remember in the early/mid 80s when I worked on Plumstead Station some of the busier stations had vdus about the size of an old portable that showed all the different panels in London Bridge and Dartford boxes.Woolwich Arsenal had one as did Dartford and Sidcup.Generally they were used so the Foremen could phone up the smaller stations and let them know about trains running out of booked order to save the signalman phoning everybody.It was very interesting to watch the rush hour in the London Bridge area.
Marylebone screen 21/11/2010 at 15:31 #12585
wellgroomed
109 posts
outofsection said:
The one at Marylebone is very useful for me to see which platform my train is coming in on - which gives me a better chance of actually getting a seat on the train! Amersham trains are usually 2BXX or 2CXX But there again, it's usually "out in the wild blue yonder" of platform 6!!
xCxx is for trains Coming into Marylebone from the Amersham line and xBxx is for trains heading Back towards the Amersham line.

Once you get to know your inward train, then it will always give you an indication of where your train will normally be... ...unless it's moved onto a different service of course!

Marylebone screen 25/11/2010 at 13:27 #12636
outofsection
149 posts
wellgroomed said:
outofsection said:
xCxx is for trains Coming into Marylebone from the Amersham line and xBxx is for trains heading Back towards the Amersham line.

Once you get to know your inward train, then it will always give you an indication of where your train will normally be... ...unless it's moved onto a different service of course!
Thanks Wellgroomed! I could never work out from the limited time I was able to study the display which was which... now I know! VERY useful!

Marylebone screen 25/11/2010 at 15:44 #12642
ajax103
1104 posts
officer dibble said:
nice stuff, looks like a considerably larger version of TMIS by Bombardier that we have in our announcers office at work.
They have this at Oxford as well, looks impressive - can you see the signals change colour as you can with CCF?

I have tried Googling TMIS but can't find anything on it, help please............

Marylebone screen 25/11/2010 at 16:15 #12646
UKTrainMan
1803 posts
ajax103 said:
I have tried Googling TMIS but can't find anything on it, help please............
Try Googling 'Train Management Information System' instead?

Any views and / or opinions expressed by myself are from me personally and do not represent those of any company I either work for or am a consultant for.
Marylebone screen 25/11/2010 at 17:11 #12647
officer dibble
390 posts
ajax103 said:
officer dibble said:
They have this at Oxford as well, looks impressive - can you see the signals change colour as you can with CCF?

On our Reading screen at work we can see routes set/cancelled, but with the Paddington screen (IECC) signals can be seen changing from Red to Green and v.v.

Marylebone screen 25/11/2010 at 19:10 #12651
wellgroomed
109 posts
ajax103 said:
officer dibble said:

The company that provides TMIS is not on-line.

The age of the signalbox generally has a bearing on the level of information that can be displayed. Marylebone ASC shows the colour of the signals (i.e. on or off), manual main aspect routes having been set (like the white routes set in SimSig), and manual shunt routes or ROL routes having been set (yellow routes). Banbury South shows the routes but not the colour of the signals. Banbury North doesn't show anything. This pattern is repeated across the network.