Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

IRSE Green Books online

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (signalling) > IRSE Green Books online

Page 1 of 1

IRSE Green Books online 23/12/2011 at 06:35 #26089
maxand
1637 posts
A little holiday reading for fellow-n00bs.

IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_1_Principles_of_the_Layout_of_Signals_(British_Practice)_-_1949
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_2_Principles_of_Interlocking_(British_Practice)_-_1949.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_3_Mechanical_and_Electrical_Interlocking_(British_Practice)_-_1949.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_3_Mechanical_and_Electrical_Interlocking_(British_Practice)_-_reprint_1963.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_4_Single_LIne_Control_(British_Practice)_-_1950.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_5_Principles_of_Power_Point_Control_and_Detection_(British_Practice)_-_1950.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_5_Principles_of_Power_Point_Control_and_Detection_(British_Practice)_-_1968.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_6_Signalling_Relays_(British_Practice)_-_1951.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_6_Signalling_Relays_(British_Practice)_-_Reprint_1976.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_7_Signal_Control_Circuits_(British_Practice)_-_1951.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_7_Signal_Control_Circuits_(British_Practice)_-_Rev_1968.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_8_Typical_Selection_Circuits_(British_Practice)_-_1951.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_8_Typical_Selection_Circuits_(British_Practice)_-_1968.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_9_Track_Circuits_(British_Practice)_-_1951.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_10_Mechanical_Signalling_Equipment_(British_Practice)_-_1952.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_10_Mechanical_Signalling_Practice_(British_Practice)_-_1976.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_11_Railway_Signalling_Power_Supplies_-_1952.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_12_Block_Instruments_(British_Practice)_-_1952.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_13_Train_Describers_(British_Practice)_-_1952.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_14_Multiple_Aspect_Signalling_(British_Practice)_-_1958.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_14_Multiple_Aspect_Signalling_(British_Practice)_-_1963.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_15_Circuits_for_Colour_Light_Signalling_-_1969.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_16_Holding_the_Route_-_1964.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_17_Track_And_Lineside_Signalling_Circuits_in_AC_Electrified_Areas_(British_Practice)_1962_.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_18_Principles_of_Relay_Interlocking_and_Control_Panels_-_1961.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_18_Principles_of_Relay_Interlocking_and_Control_Panels_-_Reprint_1971.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_19_Route_Control_Systems_(L.T._Practice)_-_1963.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_20_Route_Control_Systems_(WBAndS_Co)_-_1961.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_21_Route_Control_Systems_AEI-GRS_-_1961.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_22_Route_Control_Systems_-_The_SGE_1958_Route_Relay_Interlocking_System_-_1958.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_24_Automatic_Warning_Systems_of_Train_Control_and_Train_Stops_-_1964.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_25_Level_Crossing_Protection_-_1961.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_26_Remote_Control_of_Railway_Signal_Interlocking_Equipment_-_1967.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_27_Signalling_the_Layout_British_Railways_Practice_-_1975.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_28_Route_Control_Systems_London_Transport_Practice_-_1981.pdf
IRSE_Green_Book_-_No_29_Solid_State_Interlocking_-_1988.pdf

(Added) It appears No.23 (missing from this collection) was never issued, although it was listed as Mechanical Control of Points and Signals on the inside cover of some editions of other booklets.

I hadn't heard about IRSE books till Kage mentioned them in a recent post (thanks Kage!). Some are oldies but all are goodies.

Get them [link removed - GM]

Hint: Firefox users may find the DownThemAll! plugin useful for grabbing all items linked to from a page.

Added this to Wiki links page.

Enjoy. And Merry Xmas to all.

Last edited: 18/02/2014 at 14:57 by GeoffM
Reason: Copyrighted material linked to

The following user said thank you: kbarber
IRSE Green Books online 18/02/2014 at 14:58 #55731
GeoffM
6282 posts
The copyright owner (IRSE) have contacted me about the above material. It is still copyright, and they still sell it. Quite why it's online is another matter for them to resolve but I have removed the link to the offending material at their request.
SimSig Boss
IRSE Green Books online 18/02/2014 at 17:08 #55748
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
The copyright owner (IRSE) have contacted me about the above material. It is still copyright, and they still sell it. Quite why it's online is another matter for them to resolve but I have removed the link to the offending material at their request.
I wonder why the IRSE has only just taken offence to the links - not to say that they're wrong to do so, but I've seen their material linked quite freely on other sites for a very long time, and I'd be very surprised if their members frequent this site regularly but not the others!

IRSE Green Books online 18/02/2014 at 18:18 #55751
Kage
65 posts
Actually, AFAIK, they only sell the dead tree versions, though, and are relatively expensive for casual\non-professional use, who probably don't need\want paper copies anyway.
I asked them once if they sold electronic versions, as I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable fee for a DVD or something, as it would be some $200+international shipping for actual books :D
They didn't and had no plans to do so.

If your working on getting your license, a few hundred for textbooks is nothing, and I'm sure they all get paper copies anyway, but it can't cost that much to host them somewhere, even if
a couple of people later decide to go after there license, you've more than covered your costs. Heck, if I were applying, I'd want both! (Especially if they made them text searchable)

IRSE Green Books online 18/02/2014 at 18:54 #55754
Stephen Fulcher
2025 posts
I have an IRSE licence and never needed to refer to any of the books to get it, however I do have a couple of them for interest and have used them quite often.

The IRSE asking Geoff to remove the link is not really unreasonable - they may have only just found out the links were here, although a quick five minutes with Google will find the same page again if anyone wanted to find it.

IRSE Green Books online 03/03/2014 at 22:34 #56494
GeoffM
6282 posts
The books previously linked to above were supposed to be behind a paywall. Without going in to too much detail, they weren't supposed to be public and HQ were not aware of what a local chapter had done.
SimSig Boss
IRSE Green Books online 04/03/2014 at 11:32 #56512
maxand
1637 posts
I forgot which links I used in my original post, but a Google recheck confirms Stephen Fulcher's comment that download links, including mirrors, are still very much alive.

The only one still missing is #23, Mechanical Control of Points and Signals, which apparently was never issued (see my original post). This is a topic that would interest me, so if anyone knows of its existence or whereabouts, please pm me.