Upcoming Events

No events to display

LTS download

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > License Manager > LTS download

Page 1 of 1

LTS download 02/07/2015 at 14:46 #73810
Andy174
89 posts
Have purchased LTS today but on downloading the sim error message states that the relevant permissions have not been granted. Any ideas?
LTS download 02/07/2015 at 14:54 #73811
headshot119
4869 posts
Have you allocated the license in the license manager?
"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
LTS download 02/07/2015 at 15:24 #73813
Andy174
89 posts
Yes, license allocated but still get the same message when downloading sim. Anti virus problem?
LTS download 02/07/2015 at 15:25 #73814
headshot119
4869 posts
I'm a little confused.

Is the problem with downloading the sim from the website?
Or is it loading the sim up through the loader and being told you don't have the correct license?

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
LTS download 03/07/2015 at 08:02 #73846
Andy174
89 posts
Sorry, should have made it clearer. Problem is with the download from the website.
LTS download 03/07/2015 at 13:01 #73852
Lardybiker
771 posts
Andy174

I can;t see any reason why your machine would prevent you from downloading the file
However, I could see one of these two being a cause....
1) Your anti-virus/internet security isn't taking to kindly to the download and has blocked you from downloading or saving it
2) You are trying to save it to a place that your user doesn't like and your PC is complaining.

Can you post a screen shot of the error? That may help

LTS download 03/07/2015 at 13:36 #73853
Andy174
89 posts
attached (hopefully) is a screen shot of the error messages I receive. Thanks

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
LTS download 03/07/2015 at 13:40 #73854
headshot119
4869 posts
As you can see from your screenshot Norton is throwing a "false positive" and thinks the file is unsafe so is removing it.

You need to click on "view details" on the Norton Popup and tell Norton to ingore the file.

The following user said thank you: Andy174
LTS download 03/07/2015 at 15:26 #73855
MarkC
1082 posts
I have had a quick look into this and can tell you that the part of norton that is causing this is "Download Intelligence"

Download Intelligence checks the reputation of the file and if it is low it removes it reporting "WS.Reputation.1" This is NOT a virus Click Here For More Info

What you would need to do is Turn off "Download Intelligence" from the settings in norton.

The reason it has low reputation is not many users will submit info saying its safe,

The following user said thank you: Andy174
LTS download 03/07/2015 at 17:15 #73857
GeoffM
6274 posts
Unfortunately Norton has a lot of false positives. Other developers have the same problems.

The trouble with Norton wrongly reporting files as untrusted is that Norton itself becomes untrusted by its users. :pinch:

SimSig Boss
LTS download 03/07/2015 at 17:23 #73859
MarkC
1082 posts
" said:
Unfortunately Norton has a lot of false positives. Other developers have the same problems.

The trouble with Norton wrongly reporting files as untrusted is that Norton itself becomes untrusted by its users. :pinch:
I think it's a catch 22 for norton, the file trust is based on user experiance if users don't send trust info to them, it doesn't become a trusted file.

From experiance a file in the first few days after release don't cause any issues, its only after a few days the trust issue becomes a problem.

but i understand SimSigs issue, not many users of the software so the trust reputation doesn't get high enough, for it to pass

LTS download 03/07/2015 at 17:37 #73860
GeoffM
6274 posts
" said:
I think it's a catch 22 for norton, the file trust is based on user experiance if users don't send trust info to them, it doesn't become a trusted file.
From user perception though, they don't really care (why should they) whether a file is untrusted because something has been detected in it, or untrusted simply because Norton doesn't know about it.

" said:
From experiance a file in the first few days after release don't cause any issues, its only after a few days the trust issue becomes a problem.
Shouldn't that be the other way around? A brand new file is unknown; one that has been downloaded a few hundred times is more known.

" said:
but i understand SimSigs issue, not many users of the software so the trust reputation doesn't get high enough, for it to pass
I don't know whether Norton uses some shared trust information, or just its own. If it is just its own then yes, it will be a problem because (a) the number of SimSig users that use Norton is small; (b) the number of SimSig users reporting a trusted file to Norton is even smaller.

But Norton is the one antivirus software that comes up again and again on the forums, far more than any other antivirus. Does that make it "better" at protecting users? No - because Norton suffers from " cry wolf" syndrome.

SimSig Boss
LTS download 03/07/2015 at 18:40 #73861
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
But Norton is the one antivirus software that comes up again and again on the forums, far more than any other antivirus. Does that make it "better" at protecting users? No - because Norton suffers from " cry wolf" syndrome.
And whilst it seems to have been well behaved for a few years recently, Norton has a very long history of these sorts of constant (and difficult to trace) problems. There was a point when many game FAQs/manuals would actually specifically suggest disabling Norton as troubleshooting step!

Last edited: 03/07/2015 at 18:41 by Danny252
LTS download 04/07/2015 at 09:12 #73866
Andy174
89 posts
Thanks for all he responses. Now fully downloaded.