Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > License Manager > Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal

Page 1 of 1

Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 03/10/2015 at 15:14 #76496
Javelin395
269 posts
I'm trying to purchase a licence for the Rugby sims but am being forced to create a PayPal account. I'm loathe to give my credit card details to a third party (particularly as I've been inundated with phising emails about my non-existant PayPal account over the past few months).

Seem to remember there was a thread similar to this a few months back but can I find it now I want to !!

Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 03/10/2015 at 15:24 #76497
headshot119
4869 posts
When you get redirected to the Paypal page click the option "Pay with a debit or credit card (Optional) Sign up to PayPal to make your next checkout faster".

I wouldn't worry too much about giving your details to Paypal the service is very secure. Paypal is just a large target for phishing emails, as are most banks.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Last edited: 03/10/2015 at 15:25 by headshot119
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 03/10/2015 at 15:52 #76500
Javelin395
269 posts
Thanks for the reply Headshot. Afraid I'm not getting any further as I can't understand quite what you are trying to tell me. Having gone to the cart and clicked finish I then get taken through to the PayPal website. There I can not see any option - I am being forced to enter my card details and create a PayPal account (screenshot included).

Is this what you are telling me to do? Basically I don't want PayPal storing my credit card details.

I don't recall having to do this the last time I purchased a license (admittedly some time ago now so I may be mistaken).

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 03/10/2015 at 15:57 #76501
headshot119
4869 posts
This is the option I get...

On a side note signing up for a Paypal account doesn't mean they store your card details. You can delete any cards and have an account without any cards being linked to it.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
The following user said thank you: Javelin395
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 03/10/2015 at 16:06 #76502
Javelin395
269 posts
Interesting - that option simply isn't visible for me. I'm running Windows 7 with Chrome as my web browser (not that I think that should make a difference but people always seem to ask for that info when problems arise).

The screen you get is what I seem to remember from the last time I purchased a license and I know for a fact I was using the same computer and operating system at the time. Did swap to Chrome as IE wouldn't update and other websites I use then stopped working. Can't remember if I was running Chrome when I last purchased a licence though.

Last edited: 03/10/2015 at 16:13 by Javelin395
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 03/10/2015 at 16:10 #76503
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
Interesting - that option simply isn't visible for me. I'm running Windows 7 with Chrome as my web browser (not that I think that should make a difference but people always seem to ask for that info when problems arise).
Try a different browser, see if that helps.

Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 03/10/2015 at 16:11 #76504
Steamer
3913 posts
This issue seems to crop up from time to time, and has so far defied explanation- see here and here for example.

Try logging out of SimSig, then logging back in. If that doesn't work, if you have another web browser installed, try purchasing via that one.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Last edited: 03/10/2015 at 16:11 by Steamer
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 03/10/2015 at 16:29 #76505
Javelin395
269 posts
Thanks guys for your suggestions and signposting me to the previous threads on this issue. I can confirm switching back to IE has solved the problem. Only moan now is just how slow IE is compared with Chrome.

Lots of sims to purchase !! I've been thinking of purchasing LTS ever since it was released but was faced with the same issue as I've just raised on the forum. Didn't occur to me that my browser might be the problem. Also there are some sims I don't yet have that I have been asked to test timetables for...

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Last edited: 03/10/2015 at 16:43 by Javelin395
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 03/10/2015 at 17:50 #76513
GeoffM
6274 posts
It's annoying when this happens as no doubt it puts some people off. This site also mentions the problem and possible causes, but beyond the options it mentions, there's not much I can do from my end.

FWIW I did ask my local bank (a major US presence) but they tried to put ridiculous requirements on my site, like "it must be .com, not .co.uk". Cost-wise, it was more expensive (to me) than PayPal up to a point when it was cheaper, depending on turnover. I have had problems in the past with PayPal but generally I don't think they're as bad as they used to (allegedly) be. Famous last words.

SimSig Boss
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 04/10/2015 at 21:23 #76584
Tempest Malice
122 posts
So having just bought the new rugby sims (Thanks to the devs and testers; etc.) I noticed on the paypal website a link to the terms and conditions for their "account optional service" as they have named this ability to buy things through them without a paypal account. Anyway, apparently you are only allowed 10 transactions through this before you have to get a payapl account (given I have bought more than 10 sims I'm not sure quite how paypal are counting these 10 transactions) So perhaps this is why some people are experiencing this problem.
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 05/10/2015 at 10:20 #76599
Javelin395
269 posts
Attempted to purchase a licence for the Rugby sims about ten minutes ago. So far have received no email confirming payment or licences issued. Furthermore, said licences are not showing in my license manager.

Given previous difficulties encountered with trying to purchase these sims and my distrust of PayPal I am becoming increasingly nervous (confirmation emails and licences have previously appeared on my computer immediately payment has been made).

Can you look into this for me please Geoff.

Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 05/10/2015 at 11:29 #76600
Peter Bennet
5355 posts
Your order is shown as "created" but not "confirmed" which means you have not completed the purchase process. Are you sure you have actually paid? Geoff will be able to confirm that later and can manually change the status if that's what it should be.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 05/10/2015 at 11:41 #76602
Javelin395
269 posts
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I believed the transaction had been confirmed because PayPal quoted a receipt number. Unfortunately I didn't note it down as I was expecting to receive this information in the confirmation email.

I was somewhat surprised that I wasn't taken through to the Verified by Visa screen so I am myself wondering quite what the status of the transaction is.

I appreciate Geoff is somewhere in California and therefore about 8hours behind the UK so I shall be patient. May try contacting Barclaycard in the meantime to see if they can tell me anything about the transaction status.

Thanks again Peter for your prompt reply and reassurance.

Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 05/10/2015 at 11:56 #76603
Javelin395
269 posts
UPDATE

Have just spoken with Barclaycard. They confirmed a payment of £39.99 to PayPal has been approved from their end. Apparently if the funds are not collected by 12th October then the transaction will be automatically cancelled.

Maybe I made a typo when entering my email address and that has messed the process up ?

Last edited: 05/10/2015 at 11:59 by Javelin395
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 05/10/2015 at 13:17 #76604
Peter Bennet
5355 posts
Shop says "confirmed" now, I don't have the access to license manager at the moment so can't confirm if it's been issued.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 05/10/2015 at 13:27 #76606
Javelin395
269 posts
Just checked my email. Usual confirmations arrived in my inbox at 13.54 so I'm guessing PayPal was just a bit slow (but not as slow as I shall be with housework etc now I have three new sims to learn) !!

Many thanks for continuing to follow up on this Peter.

Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 05/10/2015 at 15:18 #76613
GeoffM
6274 posts
" said:
I appreciate Geoff is somewhere in California and therefore about 8hours behind the UK so I shall be patient. May try contacting Barclaycard in the meantime to see if they can tell me anything about the transaction status.
Correct. Glad it eventually happened, before I woke up. I'm not happy it took 3 hours for PayPal to send confirmation to the SimSig website so it could issue the licenses though.

Was the confirmation email from PayPal also delayed by 3 hours, or did that come sooner than the rest?

SimSig Boss
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 05/10/2015 at 15:33 #76615
Javelin395
269 posts
Hi Geoff,

To answer your question, all three emails appeared together in my inbox with a time-stamp of 13:54.

Thanks for following up on this though.

Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 05/10/2015 at 15:54 #76617
GeoffM
6274 posts
" said:
Hi Geoff,

To answer your question, all three emails appeared together in my inbox with a time-stamp of 13:54.

Thanks for following up on this though.
Thanks for confirming that.

SimSig Boss
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 05/10/2015 at 17:17 #76625
arabianights
138 posts
Is it IPN you're using? It does that sometimes.

How about adding checkout by amazon and bitcoin payments (I guarantee at least one user here can dole out bitcoins like sweeties). Google suggests there are hikashop plugins for both.

Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 05/10/2015 at 18:21 #76632
GeoffM
6274 posts
" said:
Is it IPN you're using? It does that sometimes.

How about adding checkout by amazon and bitcoin payments (I guarantee at least one user here can dole out bitcoins like sweeties). Google suggests there are hikashop plugins for both.
There are all manner of payment systems that could be used but not all support integration back to the originator for further processing - in this case issuing licenses. Even those that do require additional programming work to handle that confirmation response, so it's nowhere near as simple as just adding a Hikashop plugin. Yes, IPN.

SimSig Boss
Purchasing License WITHOUT PayPal 17/12/2015 at 14:48 #78833
John 23
173 posts
Internet Explorer not giving the "no Pay Pal" option, but Firefox does..........