Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

USB Install?

You are here: Home > Forum > New to SimSig? > Newcomers > USB Install?

Page 1 of 2

USB Install? 29/06/2015 at 17:34 #73751
Robski10
6 posts
I wanted to know if you can install all files for the program on a USB, and so it doesnt save anything on the desktop, because if i play the game on another computer, it says that there is a missing file.
Thanks,
Robski10

NOTE: Apparently there is a missing .bpl file that was never installed)

Last edited: 30/06/2015 at 13:45 by Robski10
Reason: Adding mose specific info

USB Install? 29/06/2015 at 22:14 #73759
BarryM
2158 posts
" said:
I wanted to know if you can install all files for the program on a USB, and so it doesnt save anything on the desktop, because if i play the game on another computer, it says that there is a missing file.
Thanks,
Robski10
Simsig does not save anything on the Desktop other than an icon. The majority of Simsig is computer restrictive. A licence is required. You can save games to a USB device using the Folder Options in the Loader.

Barry

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
USB Install? 29/06/2015 at 22:22 #73760
Steamer
3920 posts
" said:
The majority of Simsig is computer restrictive. A licence is required
A significant amount of SimSig (more than half) does not require a license.

" said:
if i play the game on another computer, it says that there is a missing file.
I'd guess that the missing file is the font file used to display the track layout- the simulation will be looking for it in the usual font location on the computer you're running the simulation on. There may be a way to trick the simulation into finding it on the USB stick, but if there is, I don't know how to do it.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Last edited: 29/06/2015 at 22:24 by Steamer
USB Install? 29/06/2015 at 23:30 #73762
BarryM
2158 posts
Sorry! I should have said 41% are restrictive!

Barry

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
USB Install? 01/07/2015 at 19:49 #73787
slatteryc
248 posts
not sure if SimSig-on-a-stick was a design goal. You MIGHT shoehorn an XP virtual machine with SimSig onto a stick though
Additional info 02/07/2015 at 15:13 #73812
Robski10
6 posts
I want to play the game on a school system so I don't have administrative rights to download the fonts onto the computer.
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 15:37 #73815
tjfrancis
358 posts
" said:
Thanks,
Robski10

Hi yes it wll work all you need to do is instll it on to usb and point it towards usb folder you want it in

I am dyslexic so please consider this when reading my posts
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 15:50 #73816
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
" said:
Thanks,
Robski10

Hi yes it wll work all you need to do is instll it on to usb and point it towards usb folder you want it in
Please ignore all of this advice as it's wrong!

In order to play Simsig properly you need to have installed the system files, which will install the Simsig font. Obviously if you are using a school system you are unlikely to have these privileges and Simsig won't display correctly.

I would also point out for completeness that it's usually against most school and colleges policies for you to run software like Simsig without permission. Universitys don't usually have a problem with it.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 16:53 #73819
tjfrancis
358 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:
Thanks,
Robski10

Please ignore all of this advice as it's wrong!

In order to play Simsig properly you need to have installed the system files, which will install the Simsig font. Obviously if you are using a school system you are unlikely to have these privileges and Simsig won't display correctly.

I would also point out for completeness that it's usually against most school and colleges policies for you to run software like Simsig without permission. Universitys don't usually have a problem with it.

Well then did I get SimSig to work on my usb at home and on a removal hard drive

USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 17:04 #73821
headshot119
4869 posts
Probably because you used it on a PC with the system files already installed.....
"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 17:12 #73822
tjfrancis
358 posts
Nope went on first time when on first time with install
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 17:25 #73823
headshot119
4869 posts
I'm afraid you're mistaken...

If you try to run the latest version of the loader without the font files installed that error message will appear.

In .exe sims, and possibly earlier version of the loader Simsig would display using your systems default font.

Part of the Carlisle sim for illustrative purposes.

Last edited: 02/07/2015 at 17:25 by headshot119
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 17:31 #73824
tjfrancis
358 posts
well karl this is my proof that it works

[attachment=3304]Doc1.pdf[/attachment]
exeter for example

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 18:21 #73826
Muzer
718 posts
" said:

exeter for example

I suspect you're mistaken.

So, you plug the USB hard drive into a computer that has NEVER TOUCHED ANYTHING SIMSIG-RELATED and run SimSigLoader.exe directly from the hard drive, what happens?

I suspect what you did is ran the installer on the same computer that you're running SimSig on. This is NOT what we are talking about in this thread.

USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 18:25 #73828
tjfrancis
358 posts
i run the SimSig installer from my usb stick back on to usb stick and it works end of the day it works all fine for me
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 20:47 #73832
Stephen Fulcher
2022 posts
The installer will work from anywhere you download it to - that doesn't mean the sims will.
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 21:05 #73833
Peter Bennet
5357 posts
" said:

exeter for example
The proof is where's the SimSig fonts, on your stick?

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 21:07 #73834
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
" said:

exeter for example

Peter
No because for fonts to be recognized by Windows you have to install them somehow. Which moves them onto the drive Windows is installed on.

USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 21:12 #73835
Peter Bennet
5357 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:

exeter for example

Peter
No because for fonts to be recognized by Windows you have to install them somehow. Which moves them onto the drive Windows is installed on.
Which is why I asked him the question (in retrospect possibly a leading question - I'm out of practice).

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Last edited: 02/07/2015 at 21:15 by Peter Bennet
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 21:25 #73837
tjfrancis
358 posts
yes fronts are on the stick it a Intel Compute Stick Atom 32GB HDMI Windows 8.1
http://www.dabs.com/products/intel-compute-stick-atom-32gb-hdmi-windows-8-1-B63X.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc%20product%20search&utm_campaign=Computing%20-%20Desktops%20and%20Monitors%20-%20Desktop%20PCs&gclid=CNedoqmxvcYCFbPKtAod3uUFrg

Last edited: 02/07/2015 at 21:26 by tjfrancis
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 21:27 #73838
headshot119
4869 posts
That explains it then, it's not a USB storage drive is it :doh :doh :doh
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 21:29 #73840
tjfrancis
358 posts
so i am the first one then to get it to work on a usb stick then
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 21:37 #73841
Stephen Fulcher
2022 posts
Tony, it is HDMI not USB - two very different things.

At least two developers have told you why USB on a computer that has not previously used SimSig WILL NOT WORK.

USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 21:37 #73842
JamesN
1574 posts
It's not really a USB stick in the manner the OP was asking...
USB Install? 02/07/2015 at 22:50 #73845
RainbowNines
272 posts
OP: You're almost definitely not going to be able to install files onto a computer that's part of a network like a school. I'm not even sure universities would allow you to download and run .exe files (not because SimSig is dodgy, because .exe files are)

If I might be so preachy, I'm not sure you should be using your time at school to play SimSig, regardless of how addictive it might be