(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Who's Online

waucott (1 users seen recently)

AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Marylebone IECC > AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN

Page 1 of 2

AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 06/07/2013 at 21:44 #46653
John 23
173 posts
6A56 has failed to stop to collect the token. I've reversed it back into the loop, changed direction again and it still won't pick up.
Suggestions, or is it a bug?
ARS, LUL simple, default tt.

AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 06/07/2013 at 21:50 #46654
UKTrainMan
1803 posts
Have you given the driver time to actually request and collect the token? Believe it may take a certain amount of minutes until the driver will request the token (the driver does have to climb out of the cab and reach the token machine).
Any views and / or opinions expressed by myself are from me personally and do not represent those of any company I either work for or am a consultant for.
Last edited: 06/07/2013 at 21:51 by UKTrainMan
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 06/07/2013 at 21:56 #46655
John 23
173 posts
Stopped at the red signal. Cleared the signal, train departed from the loop.
Running through the main, the train did not stop until it reached signal 303

AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 06/07/2013 at 22:08 #46657
UKTrainMan
1803 posts
Testing right now, please be holdings....
Any views and / or opinions expressed by myself are from me personally and do not represent those of any company I either work for or am a consultant for.
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 06/07/2013 at 22:25 #46660
UKTrainMan
1803 posts
Cannot recreate with "Marylebone Combined 18_12_12 v5-2" TT. Which TT were you using?
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 06/07/2013 at 22:30 #46661
UKTrainMan
1803 posts
Correction. Just checked "Marylebone 18_12_12 v5-2" TT - 6A56 doesn't have the requisite timings to stop at North Loop.

Will add to bug board.

The following user said thank you: John 23
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 06/07/2013 at 22:39 #46662
sloppyjag
480 posts
From the manual...

Quote:
Down trains will request a token release while stopped at the down (left) end of Aylesbury North Loop. Trains can use either the main line or the loop but will stop to collect the token. The token release will be flashing white when requested: left click to grant the release. When the driver actually takes the token, the red “Token Out” circle will change to a solid red circle. The route from ME303 towards Calvert is available once the token has been taken.
So trains have to be routed into the loop (which I do by habit anyway) or are you suggesting they should be able to be routed through main and pause at the end of the loop?

Planotransitophobic!
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 06/07/2013 at 22:44 #46663
UKTrainMan
1803 posts
Trains that need to collect the token need a timing point at Aylesbury North Loop so that they stop there to collect the token - as per real life.

As 6A56 in that particular timetable didn't have that timing, it wouldn't have stopped there and wouldn't have requested the token.

(I'll edit the manual now)

Last edited: 06/07/2013 at 23:20 by UKTrainMan
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 06/07/2013 at 22:53 #46664
sloppyjag
480 posts
One to add to the timetable thread as none of the down Calvert trains in the "Marylebone 18_12_12 v5-2" have Aylesbury North Loop in their timetable.
Planotransitophobic!
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 06/07/2013 at 23:00 #46666
GeoffM
6282 posts
" said:
From the manual...

Quote:
Down trains will request a token release while stopped at the down (left) end of Aylesbury North Loop. Trains can use either the main line or the loop but will stop to collect the token. The token release will be flashing white when requested: left click to grant the release. When the driver actually takes the token, the red “Token Out” circle will change to a solid red circle. The route from ME303 towards Calvert is available once the token has been taken.
So trains have to be routed into the loop (which I do by habit anyway) or are you suggesting they should be able to be routed through main and pause at the end of the loop?
Theoretically they can use the main but there is no safe walking route to the token machine so trains have to use the loop.

Regarding reversing the original train, unfortunately without that stop in the timetable and already gone past the entrance to the loop (ie on the Aylesbury end), you will have to invoke Special Procedures for that train. In other words, try to send it down to Claydon without the token and passing the signal at danger (somebody can probably say what the real life procedure is for this - if there is one), or "Remove train".

SimSig Boss
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 07/07/2013 at 15:34 #46710
John 23
173 posts
" said:

Invoke Special Procedures for that train. In other words, try to send it down to Claydon without the token and passing the signal at danger (somebody can probably say what the real life procedure is for this - if there is one), or "Remove train".
If it was a token failure, institute pilotman working. Not sure in this instance as there's no mechanical failure, especially as both machine release at the same time.

Last edited: 07/07/2013 at 15:35 by John 23
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 07/07/2013 at 15:49 #46713
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
In other words, try to send it down to Claydon without the token and passing the signal at danger (somebody can probably say what the real life procedure is for this - if there is one), or "Remove train".
Well, sending it off to Claydon without token would be entirely against the whole concept of the system, so both driver and authorising signalman could expect to be receiving "please explain" letters!

It would probably end up as someone having to walk the token to the train (driver himself?), or the train being brought back to the loop to pick up the token.

" said:
If it was a token failure, institute pilotman working. Not sure in this instance as there's no mechanical failure, especially as both machine release at the same time.
The token apparatus is fine, the driver just refuses to use it!

Last edited: 07/07/2013 at 15:51 by Danny252
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 07/07/2013 at 16:36 #46717
Late Turn
696 posts
I agree that someone would have to go for a little walk. Going without the token under these circumstances would be rather career limiting (as would authorising it!), and there are no grounds for introducing working by pilotman (which would probably take longer anyway!)

Tom

AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 07/07/2013 at 18:59 #46739
Stephen Fulcher
2025 posts
Most likely someone would take him the token or he would walk back and get it. The time it would take to get a shunter to reverse him back into the loop would be rather long.

Although there is no official walking route from the main line to the token huts, the underfoot conditions in that area are good, and I have on one occasion seen a Calvert train pick up the token from off the main line after the ARS wrong-routed it.

Pilot working without a token being released would be fairly useless for this line as virtually all trains are for Calvert Landfill Site, access to which is gained by two ground frames, both of which are released by the green Aylesbury Vale to Claydon ETT token. During my time on the S&T in the area, I did once have to manually release a token for the Pilotman after someone decided to help themselves to the telecoms cable which controls the token circuit.

AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 08/07/2013 at 09:50 #46768
kbarber
1712 posts
" said:
" said:
From the manual...

Quote:
Theoretically they can use the main but there is no safe walking route to the token machine so trains have to use the loop.

Regarding reversing the original train, unfortunately without that stop in the timetable and already gone past the entrance to the loop (ie on the Aylesbury end), you will have to invoke Special Procedures for that train. In other words, try to send it down to Claydon without the token and passing the signal at danger (somebody can probably say what the real life procedure is for this - if there is one), or "Remove train".
"The driver will render himself liable to dismissal if he leaves a token station without being in possession of the token for the section of line concerned..." Well I think that counts as a special procedure :lol:

(Sorry, my sense of humour is being particularly active this morning!)

AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 09/07/2013 at 14:01 #46843
Cedric
42 posts
Having completely failed to read the Wiki before starting to run the SIM I have now allowed 6A58 to pass Aylesbury North loop without stopping to give up the token, and the train is now hurtling towards Risborough with it still on board.

Has anyone found a way of rescuing the situation, please, without resorting to authorising trains to pass signals at danger onto the single line or simply removing them from the SIM?

Many thanks. A brilliant SIM, by the way, on an area that I know reasonably well. Many thanks to all involved.

AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 09/07/2013 at 14:10 #46844
AndyG
1834 posts
Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt.
I had no problem with running the next train to Calvert, as the token was out (albeit 'not' on the right train) the ARS set the route and the driver magically replaced the token on arrival at Calvert.

I can only help one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 09/07/2013 at 16:41 #46857
GeoffM
6282 posts
" said:
"The driver will render himself liable to dismissal if he leaves a token station without being in possession of the token for the section of line concerned..." Well I think that counts as a special procedure :lol:
Perhaps unusual is that in this case the token machine is a few miles before the token section actually begins, with colour light signalling up to the point where the token section commences. So he hasn't actually violated the token part of the deal yet, just left himself in a bit of a predicament!

SimSig Boss
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 09/07/2013 at 17:06 #46862
kbarber
1712 posts
" said:
" said:
Perhaps unusual is that in this case the token machine is a few miles before the token section actually begins, with colour light signalling up to the point where the token section commences. So he hasn't actually violated the token part of the deal yet, just left himself in a bit of a predicament!

Certainly not unique; I believe it may be (have been?) Worcester where there were token instruments at one of the stations for the first single line section of the Cotswold Line. That allowed the train to take the junction at line speed rather than having to stop dead (if the rules were obeyed...) to collect the token. But I think in that case there was an instrument at the junction as well so that he could still get a token if he'd left Worcester while the single line was still occupied. (Just to add to the fun, I was given to understand there were several instruments at Worcester - the driver didn't even need to walk across to another platform.) But I was told this a long long time ago so I may have misremembered.

AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 09/07/2013 at 17:27 #46863
GeoffM
6282 posts
" said:

Certainly not unique; I believe it may be (have been?) Worcester where there were token instruments at one of the stations for the first single line section of the Cotswold Line. That allowed the train to take the junction at line speed rather than having to stop dead (if the rules were obeyed...) to collect the token. But I think in that case there was an instrument at the junction as well so that he could still get a token if he'd left Worcester while the single line was still occupied. (Just to add to the fun, I was given to understand there were several instruments at Worcester - the driver didn't even need to walk across to another platform.) But I was told this a long long time ago so I may have misremembered.
Aylesbury North Loop has two machines, one at each end, one for issuing, one for receiving, thus guaranteeing work for somebody at least once a week to balance the tokens! Which leads me to a question: how is the safety of trains ensured while "(wo)man in a van" transfers a number of tokens - and how is the correct number of tokens returned verified?

SimSig Boss
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 09/07/2013 at 17:37 #46864
AndyG
1834 posts
Similar to that at the passing loops at Eggsford, on the line to Barnstaple, with 2 sets of tokens (Crediton-Eggsford, Eggsford-Barnstaple) to be swapped between platforms. Not sure how many tokens held in the magazine, but trains passing every hour, so could be 15 pairs each day.
I can only help one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
Last edited: 09/07/2013 at 17:37 by AndyG
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 09/07/2013 at 19:13 #46866
clive
2738 posts
" said:

Aylesbury North Loop has two machines, one at each end, one for issuing, one for receiving, thus guaranteeing work for somebody at least once a week to balance the tokens! Which leads me to a question: how is the safety of trains ensured while "(wo)man in a van" transfers a number of tokens - and how is the correct number of tokens returned verified?
Where balancing happens regularly, the machines are adapted to take a carrier. Tokens can be moved into or out of the carrier from the magazine but can't otherwise be got out of that hole. Similarly, the hatch on the carrier only opens when it's connected to an appropriate machine. Tokens in a carrier do *NOT* grant authority to proceed on the line.

The following user said thank you: sorabain
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 09/07/2013 at 19:36 #46867
Hugh Jampton
69 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:

This was certainly the case when I was at school in Worcester in the late 1990s and it may only have been abolished quite recently in conjunction with the Cotswold line redoubling. Quite often a train coming down from London would surrender its token at Norton Junction just in time for the next up train to be issued one from an auxiliary instrument on the platform back at Worcester Shrub Hill. Apparently it used to make quite a difference because the up train could then take Norton Junction at 70 mph rather than having to stop at the signal box there.

AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 09/07/2013 at 20:27 #46868
GeoffM
6282 posts
" said:
" said:

Where balancing happens regularly, the machines are adapted to take a carrier. Tokens can be moved into or out of the carrier from the magazine but can't otherwise be got out of that hole. Similarly, the hatch on the carrier only opens when it's connected to an appropriate machine. Tokens in a carrier do *NOT* grant authority to proceed on the line.
Aha, that makes sense - the diagrams state "Balancing magazine to be provided". Thanks.

SimSig Boss
AYLESBURY - CALVERT TOKEN 10/07/2013 at 09:12 #46878
Haraubrad
103 posts
In the old days, with a signal box at either end of the section, the S & T Linesman would visit the box with the excess tokens (or train staffs), unlock the machine and remove some tokens. The signaller would check the number of tokens removed, and an entry made in the train register signed by the linesman & counter signed by the signaller. At the receiving box the linesman unlocked the machine, the tokens were placed in the machine, and a corresponding entry was made in the train register, again signed by both persons.
Aubrey

The following user said thank you: GeoffM