Upcoming Events

No events to display

Mute

You are here: Home > Forum > Wishlist > Features wish list > Mute

Page 1 of 1

Mute 27/08/2014 at 19:30 #64167
Muzer
718 posts
What about a quick way to mute all sound in SimSig only? I would normally be able to do it through pulseaudio, but for some reason it doesn't appear in the list (perhaps it only does when it's actively playing a sound...). It would be useful if I'm listening to something else and just playing an easy sim in the background (multitasking ;)).
Mute 27/08/2014 at 20:07 #64169
Danny252
1461 posts
Surely the normal Windows audio control panel (or Linux/Mac/whatever equivalent) does the job?
Mute 27/08/2014 at 21:11 #64170
Muzer
718 posts
This is what I meant when I said that I usually do it with pulseaudio - unfortunately for whatever reason, SimSig isn't showing up in the list of applications. I do use wine.

Besides, if XP is still supported by SimSig itself, that isn't available IIRC in XP.

Mute 27/08/2014 at 22:53 #64173
BarryM
2158 posts
" said:
What about a quick way to mute all sound in SimSig only? I would normally be able to do it through pulseaudio, but for some reason it doesn't appear in the list (perhaps it only does when it's actively playing a sound...). It would be useful if I'm listening to something else and just playing an easy sim in the background (multitasking ;)).
Are there inbuilt sounds in Simsig? Have you tried unticking the "play sound" boxes in F3 Messages?

Barry

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Mute 28/08/2014 at 07:20 #64176
LucasLCC
94 posts
" said:

Are there inbuilt sounds in Simsig? Have you tried unticking the "play sound" boxes in F3 Messages?

Barry
I think he means a quicker way of muting sounds (as indeed you can untick the boxes). To have to go through the list of sounds and untick / retick each time would be quite time consuming, hence why I believe he is asking for a mute all button.

Lucas

Mute 28/08/2014 at 08:42 #64178
KymriskaDraken
963 posts
I'm fairly sure that a real signalbox wouldn't have a mute button...
The following user said thank you: larsht
Mute 28/08/2014 at 08:45 #64180
kaiwhara
584 posts
" said:
I'm fairly sure that a real signalbox wouldn't have a mute button...
Can verify absolutely correct. They do not have a mute button, especially during Points Failures... :angry:

Sorry guys, I am in the business of making people wait!
The following user said thank you: larsht
Mute 28/08/2014 at 09:19 #64182
Muzer
718 posts
Indeed not, but you're also not going to be listening to audiobooks/watching videos while in a real signalbox
Mute 28/08/2014 at 09:39 #64184
KymriskaDraken
963 posts
" said:
Indeed not, but you're also not going to be listening to audiobooks/watching videos while in a real signalbox ;)
I'm sure it goes on, although probably only in the smaller signal boxes. When I was a Signalman at Little Mill Jn I almost always had the radio on, even though that was forbidden by the Rules.

Mute 28/08/2014 at 11:43 #64187
maxand
1637 posts
Quote:
It would be useful if I'm listening to something else and just playing an easy sim in the background
If that "something else" need not be coming from your computer, you could of course mute your computer and play music or radio from another device.

Or you could plug a dummy jack into the speaker/headphones output of your computer.

Or you could write a small batch file or program to REName the folder (directory) in which you keep your SimSig sound files to something else so SimSig couldn't find it, and another batch file to rename it back.

Or using an audio editor such as Audacity you could create an alternative set of sounds with very low amplitude (volume) such that they would hardly be heard against whatever else you are listening to.

Personally, I rely on sounds to warn me of events I might otherwise miss, and need them to be able to devote my full attention to the game. Pausing the game seems like a good alternative. I'm sure that adding an in-game control to mute all sound wouldn't be difficult to program in, though it seems a bit of a luxury to me when there are so many workarounds.

Last edited: 28/08/2014 at 11:46 by maxand
Mute 29/08/2014 at 17:55 #64208
Lardybiker
771 posts
Most software that plays audio, games in particular, generally have a volume option for the sounds the application create that is independent of the volume/mute controls of the OS.

I think it's quite a reasonable request so I'll raise a feature request ticket for it (#11502).

Mute 14/09/2014 at 13:35 #64564
Finger
220 posts
" said:
This is what I meant when I said that I usually do it with pulseaudio - unfortunately for whatever reason, SimSig isn't showing up in the list of applications. I do use wine.
Muzer, wine uses ALSA and there is a crude (very crude!) way to turn off sound. First, follow the directions from "Select the default PCM via environment variable" section of this FAQ, then run it:
ALSAPCM=null wine-development ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/SimSig/South_Humberside.exe

Alternatively, make sure your default pcm device is redirected to pulseaudio (I don't use PA so I can't tell - but I only have Phonon applications in the list of applications in KMix).

Mute 14/09/2014 at 16:48 #64567
Muzer
718 posts
Indeed, but normally ALSA applications also show up in the pulseaudio list. Your method will work, but it'll involve restarting the sim which is a bit of a pain. Thanks anyway.
Mute 14/09/2014 at 18:22 #64568
Albert
1313 posts
Ubuntu's version of Wine is using PulseAudio - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599
As such I also have Wine with PulseAudio on my computer with Linux Mint 17, Wine 1.6.2. I do not use sounds with SimSig, however.
The Wine configuration in this (Ubuntu) version of Wine does not allow me to select another sound system like ALSA.

Muzer, it may be useful if you post which distro you have, and if it's Ubuntu or a derivative, if you use the repository version of Wine or one from winehq.org.

AJP in games
The following user said thank you: Finger
Mute 14/09/2014 at 21:56 #64574
Muzer
718 posts
My version of wine is, indeed, using ALSA - I'm on Gentoo. I don't use a version of wine in the repository, though, for a few reasons - I tended to use my distro's ability to fetch the latest version from git and update that from time to time. I'm currently on approximately 1.7.20, which is a couple of months old.

Last time I checked (this might have changed as this WAS a long time ago), the pulseaudio patches for wine were unofficial. I didn't realise they were still maintained, actually. I could give them another go.

Mute 15/09/2014 at 14:49 #64583
Finger
220 posts
There's another putative reason why you wouldn't see wine in the list of applications - it seems Simsig opens & closes the sound device for every single sound (I tried to redirect sound output to a file and only got the last sound that played).
Mute 15/09/2014 at 15:03 #64585
GeoffM
6280 posts
" said:
There's another putative reason why you wouldn't see wine in the list of applications - it seems Simsig opens & closes the sound device for every single sound (I tried to redirect sound output to a file and only got the last sound that played).
It's very simple: sndPlaySound. What that does behind the scenes is anyone's guess.

SimSig Boss
Mute 15/09/2014 at 15:27 #64587
Muzer
718 posts
" said:
Yes, that's what I was assuming originally (I might have forgotten to mention it) as the reason why it doesn't appear.