Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Save current sticky notes as a separate file

You are here: Home > Forum > Wishlist > Features wish list > Save current sticky notes as a separate file

Page 1 of 1

Save current sticky notes as a separate file 04/05/2015 at 12:40 #71681
maxand
1637 posts
By the end of playing a particular TT I've set up the panel just the way I like it, with stickies indicating various important features, such as which sidings need phone permission, often blank stickies where a headcode of a train entering after speaking to a shunter may be pasted, departure times at platforms and sidings, etc. It would be nice to be able to replay the TT with all the stickies neatly in place right from the beginning without having to re-create each one the next time.

Since stickies are already saved along with a game, this should present no great coding problem. There could be an Option to save current sticky layout to a file with a predetermined extension, such as .ssn, and another option to import an .ssn file which should overwrite any stickies currently in use.

Importing an existing .ssg file and changing its timestamp is an alternative but IMO would cause too many errors to make it workable.

It may be a good idea for the simmer to give each .ssn file an customized filename, tailored to the particular TT, rather than leave it to the program.

What do others think?

Last edited: 04/05/2015 at 12:42 by maxand
Save current sticky notes as a separate file 04/05/2015 at 12:55 #71682
jc92
3629 posts
I would like to see the ability to have templates available for stickies.

I like to colour stickies to match their TOC in the same way some panels have magents with a picture of a voyager etc.

As an aside is/would it be possible to import a png or jpeg onto/into a stickynote. That way all the realistic panel magnets could be replicated similar to sounds.

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
The following user said thank you: maxand
Save current sticky notes as a separate file 04/05/2015 at 13:13 #71683
TimTamToe
654 posts
Max, not detracting from your idea at all (which I think would be useful), the next time you start a new tt from afresh, start the sim paused,get all your stickies on that you want and then save it (save session not tt) as "TT x templated" or whatever. If you carry on that session next select save as and save it as whatever sim time you got up to etc. That way your sticky template is still there, which you can reload the next time you want to start from the beginning. A sort of stop gap to your proposal.

Gareth

Last edited: 04/05/2015 at 13:31 by TimTamToe
The following user said thank you: maxand
Save current sticky notes as a separate file 04/05/2015 at 13:48 #71687
maxand
1637 posts
Thanks jc92 and Gareth.

I should have used the term "template file" in my OP - that describes it perfectly.

Even better, our remository could contain a section for them to allow others to download them without having to start from scratch, modify if necessary, and upload new ones.

What might cause a problem for the remository is the different screen sizes in different players' computers which would require extensive modification by the end user. Thus customized template files end up becoming very personalized, but still a great timesaver when returning to the same TT on the same computer after a number of months have elapsed.

Now you mention it, Gareth, I do recall making a very similar suggestion about a year back about starting a TT, pausing it, re-creating all the stickies from an end game for the same TT, then saving and renaming the .ssg file to act as a template. It then occurred to me that the .ssg also contains the level of difficulty for when it was last played, so if one felt more adventurous, a fresh .ssg file with increased difficulty level would have to be used. An independent sticky template file, applicable to all levels of difficulty, overcomes this.

Last edited: 04/05/2015 at 13:50 by maxand
Save current sticky notes as a separate file 06/05/2015 at 13:10 #71790
clive
2738 posts
" said:

There could be an Option to save current sticky layout to a file with a predetermined extension, such as .ssn, and another option to import an .ssn file which should overwrite any stickies currently in use.
Raised as Mantis 13137.

Quote:
Since stickies are already saved along with a game, this should present no great coding problem.
Actually, it wouldn't be that simple. It would need to be a separate piece of code, even if some bits would be in common.

Save current sticky notes as a separate file 06/05/2015 at 13:12 #71791
clive
2738 posts
" said:
I would like to see the ability to have templates available for stickies.

I like to colour stickies to match their TOC in the same way some panels have magents with a picture of a voyager etc.
If we do a way to save sticky notes in a file, the file could be XML so that you could edit it by hand to create your templates.

Quote:

As an aside is/would it be possible to import a png or jpeg onto/into a stickynote. That way all the realistic panel magnets could be replicated similar to sounds.
Hmm: might be possible. Raised as Mantis 13138.