Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Way to encourage buying of less usual sims

You are here: Home > Forum > Wishlist > Features wish list > Way to encourage buying of less usual sims

Page 1 of 1

Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 17:46 #78184
arabianights
138 posts
Why not remove the 5 minute time limit from a host - so long as at least one person is connected to it (otherwise it is is paused)?

This will encourage hosts to try hosting unusual sims and players to buy the unusual sims to join the hosts.

Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 18:20 #78187
JamesN
1575 posts
" said:
Why not remove the 5 minute time limit from a host - so long as at least one person is connected to it (otherwise it is is paused)?

This will encourage hosts to try hosting unusual sims and players to buy the unusual sims to join the hosts.
Because that's far too easy to abuse? To play single player all you'd then have to do is "host" a game and client in with a second instance of the sim...

Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 18:35 #78190
KymriskaDraken
963 posts
I don't know if this is technically possible or not, but a way round this would be to have time-limited licences.

Say we plan a WCML chain. New users could buy a licence for a small amount of money (say £1) and that licence would only work on the day that the chain is hosted. Ideally the licence should work for all of the sims in the chain so that people don't get stuck with a licence for a sim that has no space. Clearly all of the details would have to be worked out in advance.

The system could still be abused but SimSig will get a pound, and the licence will only work for one day.

If, then, we have a regular (say monthly) session like this it could increase the profile of SimSig and raise a few quid.

Kev

Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 18:38 #78191
arabianights
138 posts
" said:
" said:

Because that's far too easy to abuse? To play single player all you'd then have to do is "host" a game and client in with a second instance of the sim...
But where would you get the second instance from if it wasn't paid for? I suppose in theory you could keep on reconnecting every five minutes, but anyone who goes to that sort of trouble is either too impecunious / too bloody minded to pay for a sim anyway so nothing is lost. The above is why I specified one person has to be connected to it.

Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 18:42 #78192
arabianights
138 posts
" said:
I don't know if this is technically possible or not, but a way round this would be to have time-limited licences.

Say we plan a WCML chain. New users could buy a licence for a small amount of money (say £1) and that licence would only work on the day that the chain is hosted. Ideally the licence should work for all of the sims in the chain so that people don't get stuck with a licence for a sim that has no space. Clearly all of the details would have to be worked out in advance.

The system could still be abused but SimSig will get a pound, and the licence will only work for one day.

If, then, we have a regular (say monthly) session like this it could increase the profile of SimSig and raise a few quid.

Kev
I really like this idea as well. I do think that SimSig would be wise to investigate various licencing schemes which lower entry barriers.

Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 20:06 #78193
Roadrunner
111 posts
Sims should be free, just as they were in times past. That is all the encouragement that is needed. SimSig is not Call of Duty. This is a small community and it should not be exploited by the programmers. If the website was more effective, it could have survived using the money from donations. If you buy a sim, expect to use it on your own, because most of them will never have enough sales to get a multi-player session going.
Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 20:10 #78194
slatteryc
248 posts
they aren't that damn expensive, although the trend seems to be upward recently

Given the comparison of the enormous hours of fun I've had with sims its essentially for nothing and I can't begrudge the devs a few quid.

Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 20:28 #78195
Steamer
3922 posts
Quote:
If you buy a sim, expect to use it on your own, because most of them will never have enough sales to get a multi-player session going.
Well that's complete nonsense*. If you bother to check the Session Details, you'll find there's been more Payware than Freeware hosted in the last few days.

*(non-family friendly phrasings are also available)

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
The following users said thank you: andyb0607, JamesN, tjfrancis, KymriskaDraken, officer dibble, Meld, mfcooper, DriverCurran, Trainfan344, as1981
Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 21:21 #78197
Sacro
1171 posts
" said:
Sims should be free, just as they were in times past.
In times past (pre 2003) they used to be charged for. If they continued to be free, you'd not have seen Victoria C and E, and the Rugby sims, Wembley Mainline (and other sims that Geoff was/is/will be working on), in anywhere near the timescale we've had, he needs to provide a house and food for his family.

" said:
That is all the encouragement that is needed. SimSig is not Call of Duty.
Are you saying that 'encouragement' will pay a mortgage? Are you saying it will be accepted at Walmart (or other US store of choice) in exchange for a nice dinner for 4?

" said:
This is a small community and it should not be exploited by the programmers .
This is one person, his entertainment should be subsidised by others. If you don't wish to feel exploited, then go elsewhere, nobody forces you to stay.

" said:
If the website was more effective, it could have survived using the money from donations. If you buy a sim, expect to use it on your own, because most of them will never have enough sales to get a multi-player session going.
Donations do go towards the upkeep of the site, as does advertising income. However as previously stated, it's not enough to offset the total expenses incurred whilst developing SimSig.

I have seen a drop in public hostings, I'll admit that, but that's mostly because people who were 16-22 a decade ago and had lots of free time are now 26-32 and have finished school/college/university and are out earning their own wage. I'm still in touch with a lot of people from back then, some do private hostings over TeamSpeak or Skype, not everything gets crossposted to the forums.

This might seem like a harsh rant (it pretty much is), but I and others are tired of your attitude. I know how much time Geoff (and other developers) put into sims, as well as how much time others put into testing them, writing timetables, testing timetables, and also general and specific bits of research. There's fairly hefty backlog of data for new things, but if you're wanting people to devote time to earning a crust doing other things then you'll find fewer releases.

Last edited: 27/11/2015 at 21:22 by Sacro
The following users said thank you: Meld, MikeW, JamesN, officer dibble, IrishDave, Lordmwa, tjfrancis, andyb0607, Noisynoel, as1981, Trainfan344, DriverCurran, kbarber, ajax103, KymriskaDraken, mfcooper, Tempest Malice, Forest Pines, sunocske, lionel87, GoochyB
Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 21:55 #78198
Meld
1098 posts
" said:
Sims should be free, just as they were in times past. That is all the encouragement that is needed. SimSig is not Call of Duty. This is a small community and it should not be exploited by the programmers. If the website was more effective, it could have survived using the money from donations. If you buy a sim, expect to use it on your own, because most of them will never have enough sales to get a multi-player session going.
That old hobby horse again

I assume you have all the relevant sales figures to back your statement up. If not shut the hell up.

Passed the age to be doing 'Spoon Feeding' !!!
The following users said thank you: 320322, ajax103, Noisynoel, JamesN, Mattyq, tjfrancis
Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 22:00 #78199
pedroathome
887 posts
" said:

I have seen a drop in public hostings, I'll admit that, but that's mostly because people who were 16-22 a decade ago and had lots of free time are now 26-32 and have finished school/college/university and are out earning their own wage. I'm still in touch with a lot of people from back then, some do private hostings over TeamSpeak or Skype, not everything gets crossposted to the forums.
As someone who doesn't join nor host public games, there are reasons for this, such as finding it much easier to communicate with voice rather than taking time away from signalling trains by typing messages to people for every thing going on.

James

Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 22:02 #78200
slatteryc
248 posts
Relevant Oatmeal

Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 22:34 #78201
arabianights
138 posts
This thread was started in the spirit of constructively coming up with ways of increasing revenue while making SimSig more accessible and t'would be nice if it could stay like that rather than attempts to settle old scores...
The following users said thank you: KymriskaDraken, Trainfan344
Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 22:45 #78202
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
" said:
" said:

I assume you have all the relevant sales figures to back your statement up. If not shut the hell up.
Fewer people have donated £2.50 for Victoria LUL than have paid for any one of my paid-for Sims. I tried that as an experiment.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Last edited: 27/11/2015 at 22:47 by Peter Bennet
Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 27/11/2015 at 23:34 #78204
TomOF
452 posts
With no axe to grind I felt like pointing out the reality of the situation.

Donationware relies on the generosity of a small (but valued) minority, but I haven't seen enough evidence to suggest that there are enough people donating to make it viable.

There would have to be many more kind folk donating than there currently is to generate a reasonable amount of money.

If SimSig went to pure donationware then there would likely be much less progress with new sims than there currently is.

I believe there's a lot of wisdom in the phrase 'money makes the world go round'.

The following users said thank you: RainbowNines, jeffh16, KymriskaDraken, DriverCurran, AndyG, andyb0607, tjfrancis
Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 28/11/2015 at 11:40 #78214
pedroathome
887 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:

Fewer people have donated £2.50 for Victoria LUL than have paid for any one of my paid-for Sims. I tried that as an experiment.

Peter
Its just a thought here, but I wonder how it might work if you had to pay what you think a sim was worth, rather than a fixed price idea would work. Obviously this would still require a licence for extended sim excitement.

James

Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 28/11/2015 at 19:01 #78221
RainbowNines
272 posts
" said:

Kev
I really like this idea - I wouldn't like to be the one setting the price, though. Potentially could charge on a per hour basis? Get a popup 15 minutes before the end of the hours you've purchased prompting you to naff orf or extend.

I think it'd give people a chance to sample the sim with a bit more depth, and SimSig wouldn't lose. I appreciate that building in functionality could be a bigger job than it's worth, mind.

EDIT: Maybe there could be a "pay as you go" system - you can buy "credit" for multiplayer sessions. Hopefully users would be intelligent enough to realise when they might as well buy the full licence...!

Last edited: 28/11/2015 at 19:14 by RainbowNines
The following user said thank you: KymriskaDraken
Way to encourage buying of less usual sims 28/11/2015 at 19:59 #78222
derbybest
274 posts
Ok as i see it there is interest in paying a nomimal fee for a limited time sim. I understand that a few of us mainly the younger ones do not have the funds to purchase outright and can understand that. As for my opinion (and this is my own opinion) as i am on benefits and so money is very tight could the 'bosses' consider a type of bank where we couls pay a certain amount into a fund (bit like a bank) and save for purchases ( i know that if i have spare cash that i wil spend it on something) and therefore have difficulty in getting the sims i want - i suggest something like a monthly direct debit. I am sure that all of us can trust the management to take care of the funds invested and then when funds permit we can purchase the sims that we want. Just an idea as people on benefits have limited funds and the younger ones only get 'pocket money. Sadly this has come up at the wrong time of the year with xmas coming up but.......
The following user said thank you: rodney30