Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Signalling Sequence Question

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Portsmouth > Signalling Sequence Question

Page 1 of 2

Signalling Sequence Question 25/01/2015 at 09:39 #68357
kaiwhara
584 posts
Hi All

Quick question, as this doesn't appear to be covered in the manual. I currently have 62 cleared, Green aspect. In the rear, 60 is a Single Yellow towards 62, and 58 at Double Yellow (Barriers Down) towards 60.

Now I have seen examples of this in New Zealand, so my question's are, 1) Is this right? (which it actually could be given the speed reductions in the area), and 2) If it is, is the reduction of speed the reason?

See Screenshot.

Andrew

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Sorry guys, I am in the business of making people wait!
Signalling Sequence Question 25/01/2015 at 09:46 #68358
GW43125
495 posts
I believe the linespeed over that junction towards Fratton is 20mph, which could explain the sequence.
Last edited: 25/01/2015 at 09:46 by GW43125
Signalling Sequence Question 25/01/2015 at 09:57 #68359
KymriskaDraken
963 posts
My money is on it being approach-released from yellow because of the low-speed junction. 60 isn't approach released for the route around the Spur. If the other signals permit 60 will clear to a green straight away.

Kev

Signalling Sequence Question 25/01/2015 at 12:17 #68361
DriverCurran
682 posts
Andrew

This has been based on the information I had available at the time, I have raised an issue on the internal fault board for my own reference.

Paul

You have to get a red before you can get any other colour
Signalling Sequence Question 25/01/2015 at 19:49 #68378
kaiwhara
584 posts
Thanks Paul

I only raised it because it wasn't mentioned in the Wiki. It actually does make sense for the signalling to work this way. My question was more about whether it actually was like that?

Cheers

Andrew

Signalling Sequence Question 25/01/2015 at 21:16 #68383
Colourlight
117 posts
I would be interested to know if that sequence of signals is actually done in the real world today. I ask because I am wondering if it is at all possible for a driver to look ahead and focus on the green signal and ignore the yellow (60) signal which would create a risk of over speeding or worse. I mention it because I don,t know the area, and a similar thing has been known to occur in the past at other locations. In one case that I know of, a train smashed though a set of crossing gates because of this reason, oops!
I think that would be much more likely to occur in semaphore signal areas where they can have varying degrees of brightness and are less visible than colour lights.

Signalling Sequence Question 25/01/2015 at 21:19 #68384
lazzer
600 posts
" said:
I ask because I am wondering if it is at all possible for a driver to look ahead and focus on the green signal and ignore the yellow (60) signal which would create a risk of over speeding or worse.
Always drive to the signal in front of you. Reading through to any signal is a dangerous practice.

Signalling Sequence Question 25/01/2015 at 21:22 #68385
DriverCurran
682 posts
" said:
I would be interested to know if that sequence of signals is actually done in the real world today. I ask because I am wondering if it is at all possible for a driver to look ahead and focus on the green signal and ignore the yellow (60) signal which would create a risk of over speeding or worse. .
The whole area was resignalled in 2007, and the sim is based on the pre-resignalling. This means that the current conditions applied to the current version of these signals (which may or may not be in the same place or have the same aspect configuration) are possibly different to the situation captured by the simulation.

Paul

You have to get a red before you can get any other colour
Signalling Sequence Question 25/01/2015 at 21:26 #68386
AndyG
1830 posts
Unlikely, the panel schematic layout is somewhat different to the real geographical layout, I think the G in advance of 60 won't be visible until after the junction.

The route from Cosham to Farlington Jn is virtually straight.

I can only help one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
Signalling Sequence Question 25/01/2015 at 22:18 #68391
kaiwhara
584 posts
The Scheme Plan for the current Signalling shows that the same route has Flashing Yellows in the rear.

Andrew

Signalling Sequence Question 25/01/2015 at 22:39 #68392
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
" said:
I ask because I am wondering if it is at all possible for a driver to look ahead and focus on the green signal and ignore the yellow (60) signal which would create a risk of over speeding or worse.
Always drive to the signal in front of you. Reading through to any signal is a dangerous practice.
Well, yes, that's all good as long as the signal that you think is the one in front of you is actually the one in front of you...

Signalling Sequence Question 25/01/2015 at 22:45 #68393
clive
2736 posts
" said:
I would be interested to know if that sequence of signals is actually done in the real world today. I ask because I am wondering if it is at all possible for a driver to look ahead and focus on the green signal and ignore the yellow (60) signal which would create a risk of over speeding or worse.
If it's possible to "read through" to the signal following the junction, that signal would be held at red until the train is approaching the junction signal. One common arrangement is for both signals to release to green when the train passes the AWS inductor for the junction signal. The same applies to flashing yellow sequences.

Last edited: 26/01/2015 at 06:39 by clive
Signalling Sequence Question 26/01/2015 at 12:18 #68407
lazzer
600 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:
Well, yes, that's all good as long as the signal that you think is the one in front of you is actually the one in front of you...
God help you lot if you ever become drivers ...

Signalling Sequence Question 26/01/2015 at 14:27 #68413
Aurora
183 posts
" said:
Quick question, as this doesn't appear to be covered in the manual. I currently have 62 cleared, Green aspect. In the rear, 60 is a Single Yellow towards 62, and 58 at Double Yellow (Barriers Down) towards 60.

Now I have seen examples of this in New Zealand, so my question's are, 1) Is this right? (which it actually could be given the speed reductions in the area), and 2) If it is, is the reduction of speed the reason?

See Screenshot.

I don't have the answer just looking and thinking...

What you see in a sim isn't necessarily the way it looks in real life i.e. curvature.

The main route from Cosham may be to Farlington Jct rather than to Portcreek Jct, although the curvature on the sim says otherwise.

Nil.
Signalling Sequence Question 26/01/2015 at 15:08 #68414
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:
" said:
Because I'm open to the idea that, despite their efforts, drivers can make a mistake, and that trying to ensure that the chance of this is reduced is a good thing?

Signalling Sequence Question 26/01/2015 at 16:13 #68415
John
884 posts
The area has been resignalled, so is slightly different to the sim. Below is the current driver training map of the Cosham area.

Signalling Sequence Question 26/01/2015 at 17:23 #68417
Jersey_Mike
250 posts
Are those driver training maps available anywhere?
Signalling Sequence Question 26/01/2015 at 17:44 #68418
madaboutrains
307 posts
They are not available publicly
RIP Feltham Panel 1
Signalling Sequence Question 26/01/2015 at 18:24 #68422
kaiwhara
584 posts
" said:
I am a driver, and I can't say I have ever had that problem. If you know your route knowledge well enough, you should be able to avoid read through's. In this instance, the driver would have a fairly large amount of solid stuff to look through to be able to read through. He would have to have far better vision than me!

" said:

What you see in a sim isn't necessarily the way it looks in real life i.e. curvature.

The main route from Cosham may be to Farlington Jct rather than to Portcreek Jct, although the curvature on the sim says otherwise.
I'm also well aware of this concept. I am familiar with the location so am aware that the route from Cosham Jn to Farlington Jn is near enough a straight line, and from Cosham Jn to Portcreek is a fairly tight 90 degree curve, hence the reduced line speed.

All I have done guys is make an observation on what I considered an unusual Signalling Sequence. This sequence however is thoroughly plausible so I am/was looking for confirmation that it was correct. Indications are that this is correct.

Andrew

Signalling Sequence Question 27/01/2015 at 00:08 #68438
Aurora
183 posts
" said:
" said:
I am a driver, and I can't say I have ever had that problem. If you know your route knowledge well enough, you should be able to avoid read through's. In this instance, the driver would have a fairly large amount of solid stuff to look through to be able to read through. He would have to have far better vision than me!

" said:

I'm also well aware of this concept. I am familiar with the location so am aware that the route from Cosham Jn to Farlington Jn is near enough a straight line, and from Cosham Jn to Portcreek is a fairly tight 90 degree curve, hence the reduced line speed.

All I have done guys is make an observation on what I considered an unusual Signalling Sequence. This sequence however is thoroughly plausible so I am/was looking for confirmation that it was correct. Indications are that this is correct.

It's a usual sequence then, assuming 60 and 58 are flashing? Don't have this sim so someone will have to advise on this.

Nil.
Signalling Sequence Question 27/01/2015 at 06:35 #68449
clive
2736 posts
" said:
" said:

It's a usual sequence then, assuming 60 and 58 are flashing? Don't have this sim so someone will have to advise on this.
It's a usual sequence when the preceding signals are flashing. It's a less common, but still legal, sequence when they aren't.

Signalling Sequence Question 27/01/2015 at 07:48 #68453
kaiwhara
584 posts
" said:

The signals that replaced them indeed do flash. These ones, as they are in the sim, pre resignalling don't. Hence the question.

Signalling Sequence Question 27/01/2015 at 10:10 #68457
Aurora
183 posts
" said:
" said:
It's a usual sequence when the preceding signals are flashing. It's a less common, but still legal, sequence when they aren't.

Usually though, the other sequence is an approach-locked red signal before the junction.

" said:
The signals that replaced them indeed do flash. These ones, as they are in the sim, pre resignalling don't. Hence the question.

Nice to finally be on the same page :)

Never played this sim so would have assumed the yellows were flashing otherwise.

Nil.
Signalling Sequence Question 27/01/2015 at 15:36 #68476
Jersey_Mike
250 posts
" said:

Usually though, the other sequence is an approach-locked red signal before the junction.
Are those on a timer or do they clear based on train location?

Signalling Sequence Question 27/01/2015 at 15:56 #68477
Firefly
521 posts
Depends. 9 times out of 10 it's a timer.

In some cases it's sufficient to release the signal as soon as the train has passed the yellow caution of the signal in rear therefore no timer would be required.

FF

Last edited: 27/01/2015 at 15:57 by Firefly