North London Line Scrolly

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > North London Line Scrolly

Page 1 of 1

North London Line Scrolly 09/10/2013 at 22:27 #49889
Roadrunner
111 posts
Why has the scrolly version been withdrawn? I don't mean the psuedo-corporate "policy" reasons. Why would someone spend their time and effort creating it, then publishing it, then withdrawing it. Who gains by that? Not the developer. Not the members. Only the big Chieftain who can exercise his "power" to withold over all.

NLL scrolly was downloaded onto my computer in April 2012. So, what has been done regards development over the last 18 months? Oh, I forgot. It is all so massively secret and critical to the safety of the nation. Sorry, I asked. Mum's the word. I promise NOT to tell the enemy. Careless talk costs lives.

North London Line Scrolly 10/10/2013 at 07:29 #49895
y10g9
895 posts
i'll refer you to this topic
which intern has this post from steamer in it

" said:
'Beta' simulations are no longer available to download- see post here. The paged version is still available though.

Last edited: 10/10/2013 at 07:29 by y10g9
North London Line Scrolly 10/10/2013 at 08:47 #49898
John
884 posts
Roadrunner, is it really necessary to ask questions in such a childish and provocative manner?

All this vitriol is getting rather irksome and is ultimately counter-productive.

The following users said thank you: UKTrainMan, DriverCurran, andyb0607, Temple Meads, Sam Tugwell, officer dibble, birchy74
North London Line Scrolly 10/10/2013 at 08:58 #49900
andyb0607
260 posts
" said:
Roadrunner, is it really necessary to ask questions in such a childish and provocative manner?

All this vitriol is getting rather irksome and is ultimately counter-productive.
Childish being the operative word here.

The following users said thank you: UKTrainMan, DriverCurran
North London Line Scrolly 10/10/2013 at 09:49 #49903
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
From memory someone (Arron/Keiron? - remember him :evil: ) kicked up a lot of fuss about Beta's being released, part released, and all sorts of issues. Now that was one of the more sensible points he made and after due consideration we concluded that Yes it was not helpful to release Betas and then forget about them. So we took a decision to no longer support Betas.

You can't please everyone, but hardest of all are those with multiple personalities.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
The following users said thank you: AndyG, DriverCurran, GoochyB, TomOF, andyb0607, Sam Tugwell, welwyn, UKTrainMan
North London Line Scrolly 10/10/2013 at 17:44 #49905
JamesN
1575 posts
Quote:
Why has the scrolly version been withdrawn?
As explained above, but to clarify: support for Beta simulations has been withdrawn. This was as a response to pressure from users that sims were being released with several bugs and issues and were then being forgotten about. People don't like what they have then it'll be taken away. Simples.

Quote:
Why would someone spend their time and effort creating it, then publishing it, then withdrawing it. Who gains by that? Not the developer. Not the members. Only the big Chieftain who can exercise his "power" to withold over all.
Again, quite simple. They thought it was nearly ready - turns out it wasn't, had several major errors and omissions and also new features have since become available and they may want to include those features now. As the same issues are being brought up again and again, which have likely already been fixed - and I imagine partly in an effort to save face a little - those sims were withdrawn. If something you'd spent a lot of time and effort creating and publishing was constantly being ripped to shreds, and you didn't have the time or willpower to fix it, you'd remove it no? I certainly would anyway, until I was happy with it meeting the ever increasing standards of this community. This has nothing to do with Big Chief wielding his power - all the developers of those beta sims unequivicably agreed that was the best course of action to end the incessant pestering.

Quote:
NLL scrolly was downloaded onto my computer in April 2012. So, what has been done regards development over the last 18 months?
As far as I understand it from my slightly priviliged viewpoint - very little to the sim itself. However team SimSig have been busy writing SimSig loader which has taken the lion's share of development time over the last 2 years. It's a whole new program, and as such has taken a long time to develop. With complex software being written in people's own time that's pretty good going. Why aren't there any more specifics that that? Because the specifics are boring! "Today I spent 4 hours lengthening track circuit T123 to it's correct length, calculating and adjusting the gradients to match, moving the stop point on Platform 2 to match, and testing to ensure that it still worked as expected" OMG SO GRIPPING!!! Work is happening behind the scenes, there's no desire to keep people in the dark per se, there just isn't anything interesting to say.

Quote:
Oh, I forgot. It is all so massively secret and critical to the safety of the nation. Sorry, I asked. Mum's the word. I promise NOT to tell the enemy. Careless talk costs lives.
Head of Nail meet Hammer.

---

Ultimately you are NEVER going to change things - infact your resolute stubborness and the fact that even the most loyal players of your multiplayer games disagree with your crusade serve only to alienate the SimSig general public from your viewpoints. People have tried being patient with you, being reasonable with you. Listening to your arguments and doing their best to explain where you're wrong. I regret, that my patience has run out. I implore you to just live with the status quo like every other member of this forum. Be grateful for what you recieve freely before more of it goes missing.

The following users said thank you: BarryM, Signalhunter, birchy74, officer dibble, larsht, Jsun, GoochyB, DriverCurran, John, UKTrainMan