Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

loader

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > loader

Page 1 of 2

loader 20/07/2014 at 12:15 #62925
CABOOSEMAN
35 posts
Minor problem I hope loader works for sims and timetables but I cannot update to theloader all I get is loader not responding and have to shut down to restart.
What am I doing wrong sims are fine but cannot update
Thanks Cabooseman

loader 21/07/2014 at 12:35 #62962
CABOOSEMAN
35 posts
Problem still the same cannot update loader any way of reloading loader current version.Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks Cabooseman

loader 21/07/2014 at 12:43 #62963
postal
5190 posts
" said:
Problem still the same cannot update loader any way of reloading loader current version.Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks Cabooseman
Have you got any anti-virus, anti-malware or firewall running that might think SimSig is of ill repute and is stopping the update running?

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
The following user said thank you: CABOOSEMAN
loader 21/07/2014 at 12:44 #62964
onlydjw
456 posts
Try turning off any firewalls/anti-virus software. If that fixes the problem, then you'll need to manually add firewall exceptions for the Loader, all 3 refresher files, and the license manager (plus any of the old exe sims you have), and then you won't have the problem again.

As for how to do that - it varies from one brand of software to another, so I can't help there.

God bless, Daniel Wilson
loader 21/07/2014 at 14:22 #62970
delticfan
476 posts
For what it's worth, on my new lappy I've got Chrome as browser and paid-for AVG Internet Security 2014. No probs downloading sims or updating Loader. If Cabooseman is by any chance using Norton 360, I had that on my last PC and it was a pain, it failed just about every download from whatever site. I got rid and no probs since.
Hope this helps.
Mal.

loader 21/07/2014 at 14:49 #62972
CABOOSEMAN
35 posts
Many thanks gents it was Norton have turned off everything now working
Thanks Cabooseman

loader 23/07/2014 at 11:07 #63040
delticfan
476 posts
While on general Loader updates, when you 'check for updates', is it just the main system files that get updated, or does the update check what sims are on the Loader and load the up to date version of those also? Apologies, probably should have asked this ages ago, but it just occurred to me.
Many thanks.
Mal.

loader 23/07/2014 at 11:10 #63041
y10g9
895 posts
Mal, The 'check for updates' checks both for updates to the loader (system files) and for any sim that is installed on the loader. So if for example an update of Exeter is released, the check will pick this up and will update Exeter. However an update of Bristol (an EXE sim rather than a loader sim) will not be picked up by this check.
The Latest system files update was also done via the loader (of which due to the nature of the update, you had to check for updates twice to be able to load the new system files)

Last edited: 23/07/2014 at 11:11 by y10g9
The following user said thank you: delticfan
loader 23/07/2014 at 11:10 #63042
JamesN
1575 posts
Sims and System Files (Loader, Refresher, Refresher A and License Manager)
Last edited: 23/07/2014 at 11:14 by JamesN
The following user said thank you: delticfan
loader 23/07/2014 at 11:21 #63043
delticfan
476 posts
" said:
Mal, The 'check for updates' checks both for updates to the loader (system files) and for any sim that is installed on the loader. So if for example an update of Exeter is released, the check will pick this up and will update Exeter. However an update of Bristol (an EXE sim rather than a loader sim) will not be picked up by this check.
The Latest system files update was also done via the loader (of which due to the nature of the update, you had to check for updates twice to be able to load the new system files)
Many thanks for the replies guys, and for confirming what I probably suspected. I remember the last update being successful in two stages, so I know I've got everything that was available.
Many thanks.
Mal.

loader 23/07/2014 at 11:32 #63044
onlydjw
456 posts
I have passed a suggestion to Geoff on the internal bug board regarding the original system files download.

Those of us who have managed to set our anti-virus systems to exclude or specifically treat all the executable files as mentioned above have had no further issues. Some people, who have not done this, or are installing from scratch on a new computer, are still having issues with installing the downloaded system files, updating the loader and loader sims via the loader, and running the old exe sims.

Whilst the issue with the old exe sims is unlikely to be fixed (albeit is probably the same issue), there continues to be lengthy discussions about this behind the scenes.

It's difficult to give instructions on how to set files up and excluded in every piece of anti-virus software (even worse than port forwarding), but once done on all the required files, we're not getting many repeat reports of issues. It's maybe 10-15 minutes of your time to set it up in the first place, and if people can offer any help or tips to how to get certain software to work, then please do, which should offer a short term solution at least.

God bless, Daniel Wilson
loader 23/07/2014 at 11:41 #63046
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
Also if you try and update while the loader is active the update will fail at least in part.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
loader 23/07/2014 at 12:56 #63047
Steamer
3922 posts
onlydjw said:
It's difficult to give instructions on how to set files up and excluded in every piece of anti-virus software (even worse than port forwarding), but once done on all the required files, we're not getting many repeat reports of issues. It's maybe 10-15 minutes of your time to set it up in the first place, and if people can offer any help or tips to how to get certain software to work, then please do, which should offer a short term solution at least.

Perhaps it would be useful to compile a list of Anti Virus programs known to give issues, then create a Sticky topic in the Forum listing them?

If everyone posts the AV program they use below, it should be pretty easy to do.

To start off:

I use Norman, which works without issue.

Norton has been known to cause problems.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
loader 23/07/2014 at 13:31 #63050
welshdragon
315 posts
ESET Nod32 has no issues.

Port Forwarding is easy too

loader 23/07/2014 at 13:33 #63052
--miki--
68 posts
" said:
onlydjw said:

Perhaps it would be useful to compile a list of Anti Virus programs known to give issues, then create a Sticky topic in the Forum listing them?

If everyone posts the AV program they use below, it should be pretty easy to do.

To start off:

I use Norman, which works without issue.

Norton has been known to cause problems.
Avast has some issues with .exe sims, don't know about loader.

No issues with F-Secure 2014.

loader 23/07/2014 at 13:46 #63054
onlydjw
456 posts
Norton, Symantec, McAffee, Bullguard, AVG (although there are two versions) and Avast are the ones the keep coming up frequently, or are at least the ones I keep being asked about.
God bless, Daniel Wilson
loader 23/07/2014 at 14:02 #63055
officer dibble
390 posts
I use AVG and have done for years. Had no problems with it when it came to .exe or the loader.
loader 23/07/2014 at 14:12 #63056
JamesN
1575 posts
" said:
I use AVG and have done for years. Had no problems with it when it came to .exe or the loader.
Same here

loader 23/07/2014 at 14:18 #63057
delticfan
476 posts
" said:
" said:
Same here
And here. Five years and not a problem. Would recommend to anyone, and already have done.
Mal.

loader 23/07/2014 at 14:31 #63058
Temple Meads
307 posts
I've been using Avast since before I started playing SimSig and it's never caused me any issues.
Username TIM in multiplayer
loader 23/07/2014 at 14:41 #63059
onlydjw
456 posts
Well - those are all systems I've had people ask me about personally, as well as on the forum. If you lot want not to believe what you read, then so be it. I won't waste my time trying to help anymore then. It was requested that a list was made of software which can cause issues - I did that. Perhaps we should leave it those appointed officially to deal with these matters. It just worries me that if we did that, paying customers would not get as good service.

It upsets me greatly that people can't respect those trying to come up with suggestions, and/or those trying to help. There have been a few threads where supposed admins and moderators have been a little bit disproportionate on things (on both sides). Perhaps it's time for some consolidation.

God bless, Daniel Wilson
loader 23/07/2014 at 14:50 #63061
Temple Meads
307 posts
" said:
Well - those are all systems I've had people ask me about personally, as well as on the forum. If you lot want not to believe what you read, then so be it. I won't waste my time trying to help anymore then. It was requested that a list was made of software which can cause issues - I did that. Perhaps we should leave it those appointed officially to deal with these matters. It just worries me that if we did that, paying customers would not get as good service.

It upsets me greatly that people can't respect those trying to come up with suggestions, and/or those trying to help. There have been a few threads where supposed admins and moderators have been a little bit disproportionate on things (on both sides). Perhaps it's time for some consolidation.
Whoahhh...

I was just pointing that I use Avast and it hasn't caused me any issues with false positives for SimSig software, I'm certainly in no position to dispute that it has caused other users issues, and I think anything SimSig can do to assist those people offloading their hard earned upon them has to be a good thing.

You've helped answer various queries of mine both quickly and accurately, and that means a lot, just because I haven't personally found an issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist - don't let that stop you trying to help!

Username TIM in multiplayer
loader 23/07/2014 at 14:54 #63062
welshdragon
315 posts
Hang on, Who said we're not believing you?

What may actually help is a page on the Wiki showing how to add an exception for Simsig, for each respective anti-virus. There's also the issue that everyone has their Anti-Virus configured correctly, so what may work for one may not work for another.

What it may need is someone to sit down and go through the install process with those who continually say they can't install it, say using TeamViewer or Skype Screen Sharing, or even at a Meet if it's an issue with a laptop.

loader 23/07/2014 at 15:09 #63063
kbarber
1712 posts
It might even be useful to know there are some AV programs that cause problems for everyone, some that cause problems for some people and some that don't seem to cause problems. I don't know if this is the sort of information that might be useful on the wiki? That might be a useful place to direct people.

More controversially, for AV programs that affect only some people, would there be any mileage/willingness for those who have been successful to be put forward as people who might be able to help (perhaps with some kind of filter if that becomes onerous or abused)?

To add my twopennorth to the information being given, Kaspersky has given me no problems.

loader 23/07/2014 at 15:16 #63064
postal
5190 posts
Can I ask that any list that is created differentiates between the free and paidware versions of the anti-virus, anti-malware or firewall. The free versions often don't have the bells and whistles that come with the paid versions and need manual set-up for some functions which the paid-for versions do automatically.
“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe