Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Wrong side failure filament failure?

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Wrong side failure filament failure?

Page 1 of 2

Wrong side failure filament failure? 23/11/2014 at 12:08 #65742
Slash
76 posts
I'm playing Portsmouth and i've suffered a failure of a filament for a Red Signal. The signal in rear correctly maintains itself at danger. However, when i set a route from the failed signal, it then turns green and the signal in rear clears also. Is that right?
Wrong side failure filament failure? 23/11/2014 at 12:10 #65743
Noisynoel
989 posts
Yeah, it's just the red that's out.
Noisynoel
Wrong side failure filament failure? 23/11/2014 at 17:05 #65749
indian_railways_fan
72 posts
" said:
I'm playing Portsmouth and i've suffered a failure of a filament for a Red Signal. The signal in rear correctly maintains itself at danger. However, when i set a route from the failed signal, it then turns green and the signal in rear clears also. Is that right?

That is the correct behaviour.If the conditions for taking off the signal are met then there is no reason why,despite the failure of the red aspect,the signal should not be taken off.
However,there is one potential danger in such a situation,wherein if the signal has been taken off and the train is approaching it and if in the remote possibility the need arises for the signaller to throw the signal to red,on doing so,the driver will be confronted with a blank signal and potentially pass the signal without noticing the abnormality.

Khalid.

Wrong side failure filament failure? 23/11/2014 at 17:13 #65750
KymriskaDraken
963 posts
" said:

However,there is one potential danger in such a situation,wherein if the signal has been taken off and the train is approaching it and if in the remote possibility the need arises for the signaller to throw the signal to red,on doing so,the driver will be confronted with a blank signal and potentially pass the signal without noticing the abnormality.

Khalid.
If a Driver passes a signal without "noticing" its aspect he has no business being on the footplate. He is paid to observe and react to every single signal that he passes.

Wrong side failure filament failure? 23/11/2014 at 17:39 #65751
indian_railways_fan
72 posts
" said:
If a Driver passes a signal without "noticing" its aspect he has no business being on the footplate. He is paid to observe and react to every single signal that he passes.
If its night time and/or if the driver is momentarily distracted,there is potential for some thing like this to happen.I am well aware of a driver's duties.In my earlier post also I have clarified that there is a remote chance of such a thing happening.I hope you are not out to deny that such mistakes do not happen?

Khalid.

Wrong side failure filament failure? 23/11/2014 at 17:43 #65752
lazzer
604 posts
" said:
" said:

Khalid.
By that startling logic, we don't need AWS, TPWS, or ATP, as I am paid enough to notice the signal aspect ...

The following user said thank you: sorabain
Wrong side failure filament failure? 26/11/2014 at 01:30 #65792
vontrapp
210 posts
Indian RF, there are many instances were the driver might not see the reversal to danger (light out). I'll continue this thread, later on.
Last edited: 26/11/2014 at 01:39 by vontrapp
Wrong side failure filament failure? 26/11/2014 at 01:34 #65793
vontrapp
210 posts
Indian RF, not all occurances, are covered in ANY rules and regs.
Last edited: 26/11/2014 at 01:40 by vontrapp
Wrong side failure filament failure? 26/11/2014 at 01:49 #65794
vontrapp
210 posts
If a colour-light red-aspect signal is not showing, it is considered at danger; this goes for any aspect, which is 'out'. All are considered as red. In adverse weather conditions, the driver may not see the signal, especially if the train does not have it's spot-light; even though it will be running at reduce speed, the driver may not see the signal-gantry, nor the signal. Therefore there will be no blame on the driver, unless some other emergency equipment, has activated, to inform the driver
Wrong side failure filament failure? 08/01/2015 at 23:05 #67584
Slash
76 posts
That was the thinking that led me to post my query. If you needed to return the signal to danger in an emergency, there is the chance of a driver missing the unlit signal.
Wrong side failure filament failure? 08/01/2015 at 23:22 #67588
Colourlight
117 posts
" said:
That was the thinking that led me to post my query. If you needed to return the signal to danger in an emergency, there is the chance of a driver missing the unlit signal.

That would not be a problem. As a signaller I would send an emergency call out on my GSRM. That would be guanteed to stop every train in the area.

Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 00:01 #67591
Firefly
521 posts
Quote:
You'd still get an AWS warning and potentially if fitted you'd get a TPWS activation so even without GSMR the driver should have enough clues to stop the train.

FF

Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 01:23 #67593
kaiwhara
584 posts
[Rant]
For the record.....

1. I am a Train Driver.

2. My previous job was as a Signaller

3. I live in New Zealand.

4. I sign a Route Card that states that I hold all applicable knowledge for that route. That includes where all Signals are exactly, what aspects I can get on them, where I can go on them, the layout of the line etc

5. New Zealand's Rail Operating Rules and Procedures, Rule 9 states Quote:
    Unusual or irregular signals, or the hands waved violently, denote Danger
    and the necessity for stopping immediately. The absence of a signal at a
    place and time where and when a signal is ordinarily shown, or a signal
    imperfectly exhibited, or the exhibition of a white light at a place where a
    Green, Yellow, Purple or red light should be seen, must be regarded as a
    Danger signal.

6. I would be extremely surprised if an equivalent rule did not exist in the UK Rule Book.

7. I agree that anyone who "does not see a signal" and then carries on, does not deserve to stay in the seat, and should be stood down and Drug Tested for a Category A SPAD.

[/Rant]

Sorry guys, I am in the business of making people wait!
Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 01:52 #67594
postal
5190 posts
" said:

I would be extremely surprised if an equivalent rule did not exist in the UK Rule Book.
Again for the record, Rule Book Module 7 (online here)

1.4 Signal not showing or not showing correctly

If a signal is not showing or not showing correctly, you must treat:
• a stop signal as being at danger
• a distant signal as being at caution
• a position-light signal, subsidiary signal or shunting signal as being at normal.

You must do this if any of the following applies.
• No signal is shown when there should be one.
• The aspect of a colour light signal is not clear or obvious.
• There is no light at all.
• A white light is showing instead of a red, yellow or green.
• A semaphore signal is not showing correctly.
• One light is showing at a position-light signal or subsidiary signal when there should be two.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Last edited: 09/01/2015 at 01:53 by postal
Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 06:21 #67597
Stephen Fulcher
2025 posts
Another possibility in reality is that just because a signal is not showing lit on the panel does not necessarily mean it is not lit on the ground.

Two fairly common occurrences of this spring immediately to mind:

1. Older installations retrofitted TPWS proving at a signal by cutting the VCR relay (which proves the TPWS active) into the lamp proving circuit to avoid the expense and complication of having to install separate proving circuits right back to the box. New installations do generally have separate proving. In this case the signal will be lit on the ground red and out on the panel.

2. LED signal heads will show lamp out when their current draw is below a certain level, signifying degradation of the LEDs and therefore requiring replacement. The signal will still be lit and every time I have seen this happen the signal didn't look visibly dimmer than normal to the naked eye.

It is also worth pointing out that there is no major safety issue if the signalman throws back in front and causes a blank aspect as a result. The approach locking will still be held so the route will be safe in front of the signal, as Firefly says AWS, TPWS and ATP will still function where fitted, which in the case of AWS is to the vast majority of signals, TPWS to any signals where a conflict could ensue, and ATP only on some lines but to every signal on those lines (Chiltern Lines south of Aynho Junction and GWML).

It is also highly unlikely a driver would get into serious trouble for passing an unlit signal if it was thrown back, in the same way he would not get into serious trouble for passing a red signal when the previous signal was at green. I agree that every driver should know exactly where every signal is, but knowing where it is does not mean you can necessarily stop at it if it is replaced in an emergency, whether it be lit or not. Under non-emergency conditions this would not be an issue as the driver would have been cautioned past the previous signal, which would not generally have been able to clear, although there will probably be some cases left in the country where lamp proving is not cut into the previous signal controls.

Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 06:42 #67598
kaiwhara
584 posts
No a driver won't get his Butt kicked if he goes past a signal that had been thrown back and he was unable to stop, that's a SPAD B or SPAD C depending on why it reverted. The issue is about a driver who just sails on through it anyway, when it was either not lit in the first place, or if it got thrown back in his face and he didn't do anything...
Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 09:03 #67600
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
No a driver won't get his Butt kicked if he goes past a signal that had been thrown back and he was unable to stop, that's a SPAD B or SPAD C depending on why it reverted.
Or rather, it was a SPAD B or C (unless NZ uses those terms still!). Not sure what NR calls them now - we go by "operational incident" on the SVR if it's not what used to be SPAD A.

Last edited: 09/01/2015 at 09:04 by Danny252
Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 09:53 #67603
kaiwhara
584 posts
" said:
" said:
No a driver won't get his Butt kicked if he goes past a signal that had been thrown back and he was unable to stop, that's a SPAD B or SPAD C depending on why it reverted.
Or rather, it was a SPAD B or C (unless NZ uses those terms still!). Not sure what NR calls them now - we go by "operational incident" on the SVR if it's not what used to be SPAD A.
Yes we are still using those terms, at the moment anyway. Not sure if they are planning to change that though...

Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 11:43 #67610
BoxBoyKit
166 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:
Yes we are still using those terms, at the moment anyway. Not sure if they are planning to change that though...
Officially Network Rail no longer use the A, B, C, D system anymore. A cat A is now just a SPAD and the other three are operational incidents, some have nicknamed these SPARs (Signal Passed At Red). That of course doesn't mean people don't still refer to them as SPAD B etc.

Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 12:22 #67614
Stephen Fulcher
2025 posts
They are still widely referred to by their former designations, and I have seen both the old designation and SPAR quoted in some places for what is technically an operational incident. Personally I think it was a system that everyone understood and worked, that was reclassified because someone somewhere decided it was a good idea, but the new designations didn't really catch on with those who have to work with them because the old ones are better.

If you mention a category C SPAD then everyone knew that the signalman had thrown the road back straight away, an operational incident can mean anything and generally requires a lot more explanation to get to the point that, for instance, the signalman had thrown the road back. Therefore a lot of people still say category C SPAD because everyone understands that and it is quick and easy.

In a way, its a bit like "in rear" and "in advance" which were officially done away with in favour of "on the approach to" and "beyond" but are still more widely used than their replacements.

As for the SVR, when I used to be a signalman there the only time SPADs were considered to be a SPAD worthy of a report would be if it was a "category A" and then these were generally just referred to as a SPAD. If you said to most of the people there that a Category D SPAD had occurred there's a good chance they would not have a clue what you were on about, but would understand that a wagon nobody had put the brakes on had just run off the end of the traps somewhere. Category B would have been rare as there is very little equipment failure that is likely to put a signal back in purely mechanical areas, and Category C would just be sorted out between the signalman and driver concerned, whatever the reason for the signal being thrown back (usually in error).

Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 13:37 #67618
Jersey_Mike
250 posts
Does SimSig still have the condition where lamp failures can generate penalty points for signals dropping in the face of an approaching train?

I remember having signals with a green lamp failure causing those penalties since when it ticked from Caution to Clear it would trigger the bulb out logic and an approaching train would see a Clear or double yellow drop to single yellow. :angry:

Not cool.

Quote:
Under North American codes passing a Stop signal that has been thrown in front of a train does not count as a Stop Signal Violation and does not need to be reported to regulators or require an investigation. Usually engineers are warned of their signal being taken away via the radio and are only required by rule to bring their train to a stop in accordance with safe train handling rather than an emergency brake application which can often cause derailments.

Last edited: 09/01/2015 at 13:43 by Jersey_Mike
Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 13:48 #67621
Stephen Fulcher
2025 posts
If a lamp goes out and causes a change of aspect then you will get a message in the message box, and you will be deducted fifty points. Just found that out by doing a minor test in one scenario on Llangollen.

In reality, once a Signalman knows a lamp is out, he will be careful to ensure that he does not allow a train to see any signals change aspect downwards, or if that is unavoidable (for instance in auto sections with no replacement switches) then he will stop all trains at a convenient point and caution.

Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 16:14 #67631
Muzer
718 posts
" said:
They are still widely referred to by their former designations, and I have seen both the old designation and SPAR quoted in some places for what is technically an operational incident. Personally I think it was a system that everyone understood and worked, that was reclassified because someone somewhere decided it was a good idea, but the new designations didn't really catch on with those who have to work with them because the old ones are better.

If you mention a category C SPAD then everyone knew that the signalman had thrown the road back straight away, an operational incident can mean anything and generally requires a lot more explanation to get to the point that, for instance, the signalman had thrown the road back. Therefore a lot of people still say category C SPAD because everyone understands that and it is quick and easy.

In a way, its a bit like "in rear" and "in advance" which were officially done away with in favour of "on the approach to" and "beyond" but are still more widely used than their replacements.

As for the SVR, when I used to be a signalman there the only time SPADs were considered to be a SPAD worthy of a report would be if it was a "category A" and then these were generally just referred to as a SPAD. If you said to most of the people there that a Category D SPAD had occurred there's a good chance they would not have a clue what you were on about, but would understand that a wagon nobody had put the brakes on had just run off the end of the traps somewhere. Category B would have been rare as there is very little equipment failure that is likely to put a signal back in purely mechanical areas, and Category C would just be sorted out between the signalman and driver concerned, whatever the reason for the signal being thrown back (usually in error).

I heard on railforums it was a request by the drivers that got it changed, because some recruiting/etc. departments had heard of the term "SPAD" but didn't have any idea what the categories were, so were discriminating against drivers who had had any SPADs, even though some of them wouldn't have been the driver's fault. Take this with a pinch of salt.

Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 16:34 #67635
Stephen Fulcher
2025 posts
I don't know the exact ins and outs, but I too was under the impression that it was changed to draw a clear terminology distinction between a signal being passed at red that was the Drivers fault, and those which are not the Drivers fault.
Wrong side failure filament failure? 09/01/2015 at 17:04 #67639
Hooverman
306 posts
The RSSB circular.

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.