Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Sim Speed setting

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Sim Speed setting

Page 1 of 1

Sim Speed setting 21/12/2014 at 18:01 #66916
Dick
386 posts
I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason and the question has been answered before, but why does the F3 sim speed setting not get saved per sim. It's annoying when switching from a sim that has been running at high speed to another that requres a lot lower speed to cope only to find it is running at the speed of the previous sim. Just seems odd behaviour.
Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 07:54 #66925
maxand
1637 posts
Good point. I guess it's because SimSig is not designed for those who might wish to play more than one sim concurrently.

I would support this basic but necessary improvement, along with the ability to:

1) Export the positions and content of all sticky notes left at the end of a sim to a file so they can be imported when the sim is replayed (although this can be duplicated if one remembers to configure an early session in this way just after startup and save it in a special location);
2) Save the sizes and positions of all windows (including Overview) used in the previous session.

Personally I would prefer a numerical value for fractional speeds to the traditional slider bar, even if these were limited to preset speeds, correct to one decimal place, e.g., 0.1 to 0.9, 1.1 to 1.9, etc.

I'm sure previous similar requests have already been noted and it is simply lack of resources and time that prevents the developers from acting on them.

Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 10:56 #66930
Steamer
3921 posts
" said:
Good point. I guess it's because SimSig is not designed for those who might wish to play more than one sim concurrently.
More likely because it was decided to link speed with Display, Control, Messages and ARS preferences, which are saved across all simulations so you don't have to set them up each time you get a new simulation. I can see the advantage of saving speed alongside Failure settings though, which are only associated with the session in progress.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 12:39 #66934
Hpotter
205 posts
The simulation speed is saved as a base value for the loader / exe versions in the registry, and this is update when a simulation is closed.

It has nothing to do with how many version of the sim(s) you wish to run.

On a side note, a way to make sure that you don't become affected by running at excessive speed on sim start is to press 'N' before letting the choas commence!, this will reset the speed to 1:1

Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 14:02 #66941
Dick
386 posts
The simulation speed is saved as a base value for the loader / exe versions in the registry, and this is update when a simulation is closed.

Thanks for the explanation, but what is the rationale for that rather than save speed per sim?

Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 14:11 #66942
Muzer
718 posts
A feature I'd quite like is for sims to remember the auto button settings. I often dislike the defaults and spend quite a while at the start of the day trying to remember which ones I normally have set/unset. But I suppose that could cause issues if you play a non-ARS game then an ARS one, so maybe that's a terrible idea.
Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 14:20 #66944
Dick
386 posts
" said:
A feature I'd quite like is for sims to remember the auto button settings. I often dislike the defaults and spend quite a while at the start of the day trying to remember which ones I normally have set/unset. But I suppose that could cause issues if you play a non-ARS game then an ARS one, so maybe that's a terrible idea.
Am I missing something here, surely auto button settings are saved, the ones I change are saved. Maybe its because I never use ARS.

Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 14:22 #66945
headshot119
4869 posts
Muzer is referring to them being saved between sessions, rather than just being saved into a saved game file.
"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
The following users said thank you: Dick, Muzer
Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 15:18 #66946
Danny252
1461 posts
Surely that'd be pretty much the same as having signal routes set saved between games? Which auto buttons I have set varies heavily depending on time of day and which services are about!

I have noticed that quite a number of recent sims don't put any signals put on auto by default, however, leading to a fun five minutes at the start of any new session of having to go through and setup all those on plain line, leading to disused sidings, etc.

Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 15:51 #66949
Muzer
718 posts
Yeah, that's the sort of thing I mean — setting auto routes that make sense to be default, OR unsetting ones that don't make sense (which there are often plenty of, meaning nowadays I tend to start games paused and go through every route to make sure it's decent, otherwise I could wrong-route a train on startup without even doing anything)
Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 15:58 #66950
slatteryc
248 posts
How would people feel about a warning notice at sim load "sim speed NOT set to 1:1, beware !"
Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 16:18 #66951
Dick
386 posts
" said:
How would people feel about a warning notice at sim load "sim speed NOT set to 1:1, beware !"
I would prefer for any saved Sim to open at the same speed that it was saved, not at the speed of another Sim that was played subsequently. Failing that, all sims to open at 1:1 regardless.

Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 19:33 #66955
TimTamToe
655 posts
Or just use the "start sim paused" tickbox and check in f3 what speed setting is before you resume!
Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 19:43 #66957
Dick
386 posts
Yes, I know there are workarounds. That is not the point, it just seems a silly niggle that has been created by an arbitrary decision for which I have not seen a rationale. If somebody can provide a good reason then I will happily go along with the workarounds.
Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 19:51 #66958
TimTamToe
655 posts
" said:
Yes, I know there are workarounds. That is not the point, it just seems a silly niggle that has been created by an arbitrary decision for which I have not seen a rationale. If somebody can provide a good reason then I will happily go along with the workarounds.
I know what you mean about having the speed saved per sim and agree it would be useful. Although if you have two different saves within the same sim but different times of day or different TT's you may have been simming at different speeds in each. So then you result in the same issue as now.

Just thought as I start sims paused to remind myself what trains are where others is also a useful way of checking you aren't about to start at a million miles an hour when you don't want to

Gareth

Sim Speed setting 22/12/2014 at 19:56 #66959
Dick
386 posts
" said:
" said:
I know what you mean about having the speed saved per sim and agree it would be useful. Although if you have two different saves within the same sim but different times of day or different TT's you may have been simming at different speeds in each. So then you result in the same issue as now.

Gareth
Not if the speed was saved as part of the save data, which seems the logical thing to me.

Sim Speed setting 23/12/2014 at 19:34 #66975
IrishDave
51 posts
Dick, thanks for the suggestion - it's a good idea, and it's probably just that no-one's thought about it for years (many of the F3 settings haven't been changed in years and years). I've put it on the bug board as an idea (#12199 for those with access).
The following user said thank you: Dick
Sim Speed setting 23/12/2014 at 20:01 #66976
GeoffM
6282 posts
" said:
I can assure you the rationale was far from arbitrary. As people have already said, the options apply across all the simulations, so having some options apply per sim, some per session, and some global would be rather confusing!

That said, saving the sim speed as part of a saved game is indeed a good idea.

SimSig Boss
The following users said thank you: Finger, Dick
Sim Speed setting 23/12/2014 at 21:15 #66977
Dick
386 posts
Thanks Geoff, I look forward to its implementation at some point.