Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Who's Online

pipersam, Zecs, Stephen Fulcher, jnjkerbin, broodje (5 users seen recently)

Path / Line Codes

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Path / Line Codes

Page 1 of 1

Path / Line Codes 27/03/2015 at 16:26 #70380
Javelin395
270 posts
Is it just me that sometimes struggles to work out which way to route a train from the path and line codes ? Before anyone suggests it, yes I do generally read the manual !! Some manuals do indeed include details of the line codes used (e.g. SwinDid) but there are plenty that don't.

These ones are currently causing me some confusion...

TL vs GL at Derby (Derby)

RVL vs CL at St Mary Cray (VicSE) - how do I know whether a train should go to Chislehurst via Hawkwood Jn or Reversible Chatham Loop ?

Can I ask that sim developers / manual authors bear in mind idiots like me when creating the relevant documentation ?!!

Path / Line Codes 27/03/2015 at 17:35 #70383
welshdragon
315 posts
When you launch Derby (04:45 start), 6M62 is sat in the "TL" which is also the "Goods Loop", so there's your answer for that one.
Path / Line Codes 27/03/2015 at 17:52 #70385
Trainfan344
262 posts
" said:

These ones are currently causing me some confusion...

TL vs GL at Derby (Derby)
I was confused by that at first as well.

Path / Line Codes 27/03/2015 at 18:01 #70389
Late Turn
696 posts
" said:
When you launch Derby (04:45 start), 6M62 is sat in the "TL" which is also the "Goods Loop", so there's your answer for that one.

It doesn't really - are TL and GL interchangeable? I'm not convinced, especially as some freights are shown 'TL', but not timed at Breadsall or LNW Jn as anything crossing to the Goods lines (not loops) ought to be.

Path / Line Codes 27/03/2015 at 18:41 #70394
GeoffM
6282 posts
Not answering the question but I've just been staring at another area timetable and wondering why GL and DGL are used interchangeably for otherwise identical trains in terms of locations - and followed by a TIPLOC called xxxxDGL. No apparent rhyme or reason why. Mind you the same timetable also has physically impossible moves (line code X followed by platform code Y which is the opposite side of the station) as well as hour long stopping times at a station when the loop immediately before is clearly what is meant.

Timetables are an art form interpreted differently by different people... :whistle:

SimSig Boss
Path / Line Codes 28/03/2015 at 02:29 #70416
kaiwhara
584 posts
" said:
Timetables are an art form interpreted differently by different people... :whistle:
Least of all by the Operators... (Ducks) :pinch:

Sorry guys, I am in the business of making people wait!
Path / Line Codes 28/03/2015 at 05:18 #70418
zachpratt
25 posts
In the case of Derby, I took "TL" to mean a through line. Ergo, any line that passes through the station. I guess it could be said that the GL is a TL, but not all TL's are GL'S.
Path / Line Codes 28/03/2015 at 14:03 #70437
Javelin395
270 posts
Thanks all for your comments. I too took TL to mean through line but to me (as a non-railwayman) a through line means a line without a platform - but in this case the lines through Derby without platforms are already coded as GL. Hence my confusion !!
Last edited: 28/03/2015 at 14:04 by Javelin395
Path / Line Codes 28/03/2015 at 14:07 #70438
Trainfan344
262 posts
Plus the fact that there's at least one passenger train booked to use TL at derby.