Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Who's Online

waucott, uboat, Cynx, BigAzza, GeoffM, druey, KCRCRailway, VHGK, pedroathome (9 users seen recently)

Realism of weird approach locking behaviour with preset shunt

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Realism of weird approach locking behaviour with preset shunt

Page 1 of 1

Realism of weird approach locking behaviour with preset shunt 26/04/2015 at 23:51 #71469
Hawk777
386 posts
I just uncovered what seems to be to be a slightly odd behaviour of approach locking, and was wondering if anyone could confirm whether it’s prototypical (and, if so, explain the rationale behind it) or, if not, whether it might be a SimSig bug.

Here’s the behaviour, as an example on Exter sim:

1. Bring a train to a stand at red signal 35 outside Ex SD.

2. Set a route forward from 35 to 37. 653 clears to white as a preset shunt and then 35 clears to yellow.

3. Wait for the train to pass 35. 35 goes red as soon as TC TJJ occupies. 653 remains clear as the train has not yet passed it.

4. Before the train reaches it, cancel 653’s route. 653 immediately turns red. Question 1: If I do nothing further, 653 will remain red but circuits TJL, TJM, TJN, and TJP will remain locked (white) forever with the train standing at 653. Is it prototypical that these TCs do not time out and unlock?

5. Wait until TJJ clears causing 35 to undergo TORR.

6. Restroke 653→37 (this would have been impossible, with the message “Cannot overset a different route”, had 35→37 still been set, but as 35→37 has now TORRed, it works).

7. 653 clears, this time with a white stem instead of a grey stem signifying an actual set route.

8. Immediately cancel 653. Message: “30 seconds approach locking”.

9. Wait 30 seconds, then route from 653 to somewhere else (in my test, into carriage sidings). Question 2: The train just came rolling in on a clear main signal. Why was I allowed to throw points in front of it after waiting only 30 seconds instead of the usual 2 minutes?
    [li]Question 3: The train doesn’t phone in claiming an ACOA. Isn’t clear main signal followed by red shunt signal considered an ACOA?

Here’s another odd behaviour I don’t entirely understand:

1. Do steps 1 through 8 above.

2. Instead of setting a route forward, reverse the train and let it drive back to 658 (the LOS).

3. With every TC between 35 and 37 unoccupied, unlocked, and no routes set, call 35→37. The route locks, but neither 35 nor 653 ever clears. Cancelling it and then calling the route again brings everything back to normal. This appears to be something affecting 653, not something specific to 35, because replacing the 35–37 call in this step with a 35–237 call works fine, and then even after that route has been taken, calling 35→37 afterwards fails as described the first time. This behaviour only happens if 653 was restroked and approach-locked in steps 6–8 above; it does not happen if you just cancel 653 while it’s preset and then turn the train around and back it out of the area without restroking 653 (i.e. if you skip steps 6–8). Question 4: Is this prototypical?

I realize these are pretty obscure corner cases, but I am genuinely curious! Thanks to anyone who can explain.

Last edited: 26/04/2015 at 23:52 by Hawk777
Reason: typo

Realism of weird approach locking behaviour with preset shunt 27/04/2015 at 10:00 #71479
Firefly
521 posts
Question 4, yes it's prototypical, you cannot "time off" a preset shunt once the train has passed the main signal. (Just imagine the shunt signal isn't there), so the white route locking should remain all of the time that there is a train within the route.

I'll answer the rest later. M

FF

Realism of weird approach locking behaviour with preset shunt 27/04/2015 at 15:23 #71486
GeoffM
6281 posts
#6 probably shouldn't be happening in the way it does - it should still in preset mode, but showing a proceed aspect again requires the same process, ie setting a "route" from the preset shunt.

The second block: I suspect the preset sequence has been interrupted so it's not in a good state. Cancelling tends to clear out most stuff so this is probably why it works.

Mantis 13109. Yes it's obscure but you found it nonetheless

SimSig Boss
Last edited: 27/04/2015 at 15:24 by GeoffM
The following user said thank you: ralphjwchadkirk
Realism of weird approach locking behaviour with preset shunt 27/04/2015 at 16:12 #71489
Firefly
521 posts
Quote:
Question 1: If I do nothing further, 653 will remain red but circuits TJL, TJM, TJN, and TJP will remain locked (white) forever with the train standing at 653. Is it prototypical that these TCs do not time out and unlock?
As I mention above, yes this is correct behaviour. It will never time off and the only way to release the route locking is to move the train forwards or backwards through the route.

Quote:
Restroke 653→37 (this would have been impossible, with the message “Cannot overset a different route”, had 35→37 still been set, but as 35→37 has now TORRed, it works).
This shouldn't be possible as such, as Geoff says it should still be in preset mode. In the real world to re-clear 653 whilst it's in preset mode all you would have to do is click on 653 (no need to press an exit). This would cause 653 to display a proceed aspect agin and the train can continue along the route. 653 should remain in preset mode until the train has passed it and only then once it's no longer in preset mode should it be possible to set 653 to 37.

Quote:
653 clears, this time with a white stem instead of a grey stem signifying an actual set route.
Immediately cancel 653. Message: “30 seconds approach locking”.
Wait 30 seconds, then route from 653 to somewhere else (in my test, into carriage sidings). Question 2: The train just came rolling in on a clear main signal. Why was I allowed to throw points in front of it after waiting only 30 seconds instead of the usual 2 minutes?
If it had remained in preset mode none of this would of been possible and therefore none of it is prototypical.

Quote:

Question 3: The train doesn’t phone in claiming an ACOA. Isn’t clear main signal followed by red shunt signal considered an ACOA?
Should do by my book

Quote:
Here’s another odd behaviour I don’t entirely understand:
Do steps 1 through 8 above.
Instead of setting a route forward, reverse the train and let it drive back to 658 (the LOS).
With every TC between 35 and 37 unoccupied, unlocked, and no routes set, call 35→37. The route locks, but neither 35 nor 653 ever clears. Cancelling it and then calling the route again brings everything back to normal. This appears to be something affecting 653, not something specific to 35, because replacing the 35–37 call in this step with a 35–237 call works fine, and then even after that route has been taken, calling 35→37 afterwards fails as described the first time. This behaviour only happens if 653 was restroked and approach-locked in steps 6–8 above; it does not happen if you just cancel 653 while it’s preset and then turn the train around and back it out of the area without restroking 653 (i.e. if you skip steps 6–8). Question 4: Is this prototypical?
So once again if you fix the first problem you don't need to worry about the above because it can never happen. You shouldn't be able to set and the time off 653 and if you couldn't do that it all seems to work ok.

FF

Realism of weird approach locking behaviour with preset shunt 27/04/2015 at 16:24 #71490
GeoffM
6281 posts
" said:
In the real world to re-clear 653 whilst it's in preset mode all you would have to do is click on 653 (no need to press an exit).
That's only for a panel though I think? On IECC/MCS/Westcad I'm pretty sure you have to do entrance-exit otherwise you'd just get an entrance cursor merrily flashing away (for a short time).

SimSig Boss
Realism of weird approach locking behaviour with preset shunt 27/04/2015 at 16:39 #71491
Firefly
521 posts
must admit I've not had to test a preset shunt on a work station so I can't be certain either way.

I can't see why there would be a difference between panels and VDU's because it's the interlocking that's performing the function and providing the PBKE output. Why would an SSI act differently on a panel than it would for an IECC?

Quote:
otherwise you'd just get an entrance cursor merrily flashing away (for a short time).
You could make the same argument about the shunt signal entrance button light on a panel.

I'll try and find out.

Realism of weird approach locking behaviour with preset shunt 27/04/2015 at 16:56 #71492
Firefly
521 posts
Geoff

You're correct, its true for all SSI's. Obviously I've only tested preset shunts on relay interlockings!

Quote:
Train passed first signal: Pulling the first signal button has no effect on
the aspect of the intermediate signal, but may initiate route release if
TORR has not already taken place. Pulling the intermediate signal
button will replace this signal, but no approach locking release will take
place, and the remaining portion of the route will remain locked until the
train has passed through. The signal may only be re-cleared by
restroking the route from the intermediate signal entrance button to the
next exit button on the line of the route which is set. This last condition
differs from Route Relay Interlocking practice, where only the
intermediate signal entrance button needs to be pressed to allow the
signal to re-clear (it is treated as an emergency replacement). This is
not possible in SSI as a push button may not be used both as a single
operation button and as the entrance button for a multi-button
sequence.

Realism of weird approach locking behaviour with preset shunt 27/04/2015 at 17:02 #71493
GeoffM
6281 posts
Thanks. The above aside, I don't think the control system has any idea that the preset shunt signal is in preset shunt mode. Yes there's a route ID for a preset shunt but I think they're ignored, at least by IECC. So if somebody clicks on the signal then all it can do is consider it as part of a route setting sequence, and to complete the sequence you need to click an exit, before a panel request is fired off to the interlocking which then decides that it's a preset restroke rather than a new route.

In relay interlockings the signal button is effectively wired in to the interlocking so the interlocking "knows" as soon as it's pressed.

As for a panel controlling an SSI... not sure :lol:

(I know you know this: detail more for others who might be interested)

SimSig Boss
Realism of weird approach locking behaviour with preset shunt 27/04/2015 at 17:26 #71494
Firefly
521 posts
Quote:
As for a panel controlling an SSI... not sure :lol:
From the SSI manual above, I'm now certain you'd have to press entrance and exit to re-stroke even on a panel.

FF

Realism of weird approach locking behaviour with preset shunt 29/04/2015 at 03:52 #71506
Hawk777
386 posts
Wow, thanks for all the detailed information, everyone!