Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Who's Online

Liverpool St., xacdeandrade, uboat, kpl455 (4 users seen recently)

Non-default install locations

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Non-default install locations

Page 1 of 1

Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 09:33 #72105
DaveHarries
1266 posts
Morning all,

Wondering if anyone can come up with something to get around this problem or if anyone else is having the same hitch.

I have licences for all the sims that need them but I have had occasions when my copy of the sim has crashed when I have been on a multiplayer. So I exit, then go to reboot which is ok - until I find that the simulation I was playing isn't listed on the loader index. So I go to the folder settings and find that the folder for the sim in question has vanished. So I set it back up - and find that the sim in question still does not reappear on the list of sims.

As I write this I am missing 10 simulations from my loader list and it seems that the only way they will reconstitute themselves is if I reinstall them in a newly-created folder.

Anyone know why this is happening? It is becoming a real pain the the **** and I wonder if it is a loader bug. It is even odder considering that all the related files (including the SIM ones) for the simulations in question are still present.

Cheers,
Dave

Edit: Having reinstalled all the missing simulations I try to get SimSig to search in the new folder - and the simulation STILL does not appear on the list of installed sims! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

Last edited: 12/05/2015 at 10:14 by DaveHarries
Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 10:22 #72106
andyb0607
260 posts
Is the .sim file missing from the SimSig folder as well?

Edit: Ignore that re-read your message!

What Anti Virus are you running? Can you check the logs to see if it is seeing the .sim file as a risk and removing it?

Last edited: 12/05/2015 at 10:24 by andyb0607
Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 10:41 #72107
DaveHarries
1266 posts
Andy,

I am using the standard AVG that came with my computer. It is noticeable that not all the sims are disappearing. The SIM files are showing up on the loader and on the hard disk folders in question.

I checked my AVG's event history: no mention of any files being deleted - unless I am looking in the wrong place.

The sims I have had to reinstall this morning are Birmingham NS, Coventry, Exeter, Feltham, KX, L&FC, Maidstone East, Paisley, Salisbury ASC, Saltley, Shrewsbury, West Hampstead & Wolverhampton. Attempts to get NS, Coventry & Feltham to go back into the loader list have failed: I can't help wondering if something in the loader program's code is preventing it from displaying more than a certain number of simulations in the list. Saying that, the first multiplayer I joined on Shrewsbury it vanished from my loader during the course of that meaning that Shrewsbury crashed on me.

Dave

Last edited: 12/05/2015 at 10:44 by DaveHarries
Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 10:54 #72108
JamesN
1574 posts
" said:
I can't help wondering if something in the loader program's code is preventing it from displaying more than a certain number of simulations in the list. Saying that, the first multiplayer I joined on Shrewsbury it vanished from my loader during the course of that meaning that Shrewsbury crashed on me.
I've got 69 simulations (total includes duplicates) shown in my loader list with no problems at all, I highly doubt this would be causing it.

Are you using the default folder structure (IE Users/Public/Documents/SimSig) or are you installing to a custom location?

Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 10:58 #72109
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
" said:
I can't help wondering if something in the loader program's code is preventing it from displaying more than a certain number of simulations in the list. Saying that, the first multiplayer I joined on Shrewsbury it vanished from my loader during the course of that meaning that Shrewsbury crashed on me.
I've got 69 simulations (total includes duplicates) shown in my loader list with no problems at all, I highly doubt this would be causing it.

Are you using the default folder structure (IE Users/Public/Documents/SimSig) or are you installing to a custom location?
Though it's important to know where Dave is putting the simulations; I'll just point out all of my loader folders are custom locations and I've never had this problem of them disappearing out of the list.

Dave it isn't clear if it's one sim at a time that disappears, or whether it's every sim in that folder location, can you clarify?

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 11:01 #72110
JamesN
1574 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:

Though it's important to know where Dave is putting the simulations; I'll just point out all of my loader folders are custom locations and I've never had this problem of them disappearing out of the list.

Dave it isn't clear if it's one sim at a time that disappears, or whether it's every sim in that folder location, can you clarify?
Indeed nor have I, just helps to narrow troubleshooting parameters.

Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 11:03 #72111
headshot119
4869 posts
James - Take a look at 11029 / 13024. 110929 sounds similar, though the root cause was never found.
"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 12:09 #72114
JamesN
1574 posts
" said:
James - Take a look at 11029 / 13024. 110929 sounds similar, though the root cause was never found.
Agreed they both sound similar, but as you say no reasoning behind it was ever found

Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 17:02 #72117
GeoffM
6280 posts
Have a look at SimSIgLoader0.log to see if there is any mention of the missing sims. Being denied access to the .sim file or a corrupt .sim file would cause it not to be listed. Should be wherever you installed the Loader - for me c:\users\public\documents\SimSig (working from memory, might not be quite right).
SimSig Boss
Last edited: 12/05/2015 at 17:03 by GeoffM
Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 19:59 #72123
DaveHarries
1266 posts
Thanks all for your replies. In response:

" said:
Have a look at SimSIgLoader0.log to see if there is any mention of the missing sims. Being denied access to the .sim file or a corrupt .sim file would cause it not to be listed. Should be wherever you installed the Loader.

I have looked in the folder where SimSigLoader.exe is located but there is no file there for that name. There is a file called SimSigLoader0.log but that is in another folder and contains info from a KX boot of 21/08/2014.

" said:

No. I am putting them in C:\Program Files\SimSig\(Simulation) or, in some cases, C:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\(Simulation).

" said:

No it is only some of them. There are also more missing sims than I thought. The ones missing from my Loader list are:

- Birmingham New St (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\BirminghamNS)
- Coventry (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\Coventry)
- Derby (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\Derby)
- Exeter (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Exeter)
- Feltham (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\Feltham
- Kings Cross (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\KingsX)
- L&FC (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\L&FC)
- Maidstone East (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\MaidstoneEast)
- Paisley (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Paisley)
- Saltley (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\Saltley)
- Salisbury (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\SalisburyASC)
- Shrewsbury (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\Shrewsbury)
- West Hampstead (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\WestHampstead)
- Wolverhampton (c:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\Wolverhampton)

In all cases the .sim file remains present. The funny thing is that the simulations have just vanished from the list: not my own doing. I have also tried reinstalling 10 of them and linking into the new locations and they are still not coming up on the list. But all the above folders remain present with the files intact.

Dave

Last edited: 12/05/2015 at 20:03 by DaveHarries
Reason: Addition to list of missing sims

Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 20:01 #72125
headshot119
4869 posts
Dave can you take a screenshot of your Loader / Folder Options screen and post it here?

Then open C:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations and take a screenshot.

Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 20:20 #72126
Sacro
1171 posts
Which version of Windows are you running?
Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 20:21 #72127
GeoffM
6280 posts
" said:
" said:

No. I am putting them in C:\Program Files\SimSig\(Simulation) or, in some cases, C:\Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\(Simulation).
That is likely the problem. Changeable data shouldn't be under Program Files as Windows (quite rightly) restricts access even to Admin users. Put the data in user data and see if the problem re-occurs.

SimSig Boss
Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 20:22 #72128
DaveHarries
1266 posts
Here you go. On the folder screenshots you will see I have put green marks by some of the folders: those are sims that are missing. Wimbledon can also be added to the list of sims on my PC that are M.I.A so that makes 13 sims. Hope these screendumps are OK: if not PM me with an email addy.

" said:
That is likely the problem. Changeable data shouldn't be under Program Files as Windows (quite rightly) restricts access even to Admin users. Put the data in user data and see if the problem re-occurs.

Interesting point but they are all in Program Files\SimSig\(Simulation) or Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\(Simulation) and not all of them are disappearing. I did try moving all the SimSig files to the base c:\ directory and linking Exeter back in: still no Exeter. I am on Windows 8: will try the "User Data" if I can find it.

Dave

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Last edited: 12/05/2015 at 20:29 by DaveHarries
Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 20:31 #72129
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
Here you go. On the folder screenshots you will see I have put green marks by some of the folders: those are sims that are missing. Wimbledon can also be added to the list of sims on my PC that are M.I.A so that makes 13 sims. Hope these screendumps are OK: if not PM me with an email addy.

" said:

Interesting point but they are all in Program Files\SimSig\(Simulation) or Program Files\SimSig\Simulations\(Simulation) and not all of them are disappearing. I did try moving all the SimSig files to the base c:\ directory and linking Exeter back in: still no Exeter. I am on Windows 8: will try the "User Data" if I can find it.

Dave
Dave.

Being blunt you need to rip all that out and start again, that's one hell of a confusing folder structure.

If you have Windows UAC turned on (Which it should be) then the setup you have is unlikely to work very well.

I'd recommend installing everything into the default location.

"C:\Users\Public\Documents\SimSig"

EDIT:

After reading marks post, I just want to emphasis I wasn't just meaning that putting everything in public documents would sort things, you also don't need that rather bizzare folder structure, the default one works just as well.

Last edited: 12/05/2015 at 20:43 by headshot119
Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 20:39 #72130
welshdragon
315 posts
FWIW, My folder structure is simple:
C:\Users\Mark\Dropbox\Simsig

In that folder is the Simulations\ and Timetables\ folders, Perhaps this is what is wring with your setup Dave? But as Karl says, putting everything in Program Files is going to cause a lot of issues.

Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 20:53 #72131
GeoffM
6280 posts
" said:
" said:

The ones that are appearing are probably those that were installed (but not updated) by the respective installer which has elevated access rights over the SimSig updater.

Putting things in the base c:\ directory won't work, same issue as Program Files.

Next time just accept the default install location: it's set up that way for good reason!

SimSig Boss
Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 22:02 #72133
DaveHarries
1266 posts
I have put everything into C:\Users\Public\SimSig and it seems to be doing the trick. Thanks all for the replies. Any more problems and I will be back on here asking advice.

Dave

Non-default install locations 12/05/2015 at 23:25 #72136
postal
5190 posts
" said:
I have put everything into C:\Users\Public\SimSig and it seems to be doing the trick. Thanks all for the replies. Any more problems and I will be back on here asking advice.

Dave
If you are worried about putting things into the Public folders you can opt to put things into C:\Users\"Dave Harries"\Simsig and use the folder options button of the loader to use that as the default.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe