Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Clock flashes on changeover

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Clock flashes on changeover

Page 1 of 1

Clock flashes on changeover 24/05/2015 at 14:06 #72651
torets
14 posts
Hi,
I just updated to loader version 4.4.3, and noticed a peculiarity with the clock. This has probably been present earlier as well, but is much more noticeable now that the clock displays seconds (and thus changes every second). It happens on every sim.

The issue is that every time the time displayed by the clock changes (i.e. every second), the gray background of the clock button will briefly flash with a darker gray colour. Curiously, this does not happen if there is a flashing element on screen - for example a roundel used for controlling a crossing, or the little flashing marker that appears when you click a signal. However, anytime that there is nothing else flashing on-screen, the clock background flashes every second.

It is quite distracting to see these brief "flashes" in the corner of your eye every second. Is is possible to fix this?

Clock flashes on changeover 25/05/2015 at 02:06 #72692
BarryM
2158 posts
I believe that it may be related to your computer. My computer does not display your "flashes".

Barry (seeing stars)

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clock flashes on changeover 25/05/2015 at 06:39 #72693
Danny252
1461 posts
Every computer I've ever used Simsig on (getting on for half a dozen!) has the flashing problem.
Last edited: 25/05/2015 at 06:42 by Danny252
Clock flashes on changeover 25/05/2015 at 08:05 #72698
Dick
386 posts
Yep, mine flashes.
Clock flashes on changeover 25/05/2015 at 08:10 #72699
GW43125
495 posts
Not for me, it's not.
Clock flashes on changeover 25/05/2015 at 09:20 #72705
kaiwhara
584 posts
I too have seen it, from time to time, although the clock briefly goes red every so often for a split second, as if it's paused, except it's not. Only happened since the seconds got added...

p.s. please don't remove the seconds!!!!

Sorry guys, I am in the business of making people wait!
Clock flashes on changeover 25/05/2015 at 09:56 #72706
AndyG
1834 posts
Only noticed intermittently at high sim speeds (10x +), suggests it's a screen refresh glitch. Sometimes appears to be a 'strobe' type of effect, flickering only every several seconds.
Must admit I've never really noticed even when testing at higher speeds, and certainly does't matter to me.

A more noticeable flicker effect is sometimes noticeable with GF releases and AHB indicators.

I can only help one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
Clock flashes on changeover 25/05/2015 at 21:47 #72719
GeoffM
6282 posts
Only happens for me at high speed. I'll see what I can do though.
SimSig Boss
Clock flashes on changeover 28/05/2015 at 19:35 #72804
torets
14 posts
I guess my computer is starting to get old and slow - for me, it happens even at 1x speed. But with the curious exception that it works fine as long as something else is flashing on screen.
Clock flashes on changeover 12/06/2015 at 19:51 #73205
Danny252
1461 posts
The update seems to have nailed this, thanks. However, can I check whether the red line through the clock when paused is intentional?
Clock flashes on changeover 12/06/2015 at 20:00 #73206
GeoffM
6282 posts
" said:
The update seems to have nailed this, thanks. However, can I check whether the red line through the clock when paused is intentional?
Thanks for the update. Yes, the strikethrough is intentional. One of my testers commented that the red/green text wasn't always easy to distinguish, so the strikethrough is intended to add another reinforcement.

SimSig Boss
Clock flashes on changeover 12/06/2015 at 20:37 #73208
delticfan
476 posts
Just noticed the strike through on the clock after the update Geoff. Certainly should help with any confusion.
Mal.

Clock flashes on changeover 14/06/2015 at 23:30 #73371
postal
5190 posts
" said:
" said:
Thanks for the update. Yes, the strikethrough is intentional. One of my testers commented that the red/green text wasn't always easy to distinguish, so the strikethrough is intended to add another reinforcement.
It is only personal preference, but the strike-through looks a little clumsy to me. If there is a visual differentiation issue, might it be more striking if the normal clock shows as green text/white background and the paused clock shows as red background/white text?

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Last edited: 15/06/2015 at 08:27 by postal
The following users said thank you: UKTrainMan, Temple Meads, BarryM, TimTamToe
Clock flashes on changeover 15/06/2015 at 00:01 #73372
Temple Meads
307 posts
I found the red/grey background to the 'clock bar' very helpful for confirming quickly that your game was paused (or not), the strikethrough just isn't as easy to understand at a glance for me...
Username TIM in multiplayer
The following user said thank you: TimTamToe
Clock flashes on changeover 15/06/2015 at 13:55 #73397
TimTamToe
655 posts
I would have to agree with Tim and John, in that I found it easier with the red background when paused than the strikethrough. I would have thought seeing as now the clock has seconds, it was easy to spot if it was paused or not without the strikethrough as you only need to look for a second to see if it "ticks over" or not.

Would it be possible for the end user to choose how the clock is shown when paused / unpaused through an option in the F3 menu?

Gareth

Clock flashes on changeover 15/06/2015 at 16:27 #73404
GeoffM
6282 posts
The reason the background colour was dropped was because it was suspected that was causing the flicker on some machines. The inverted button colour might be the best compromise (white text on red button for paused; green text on white button for not paused).
SimSig Boss
The following user said thank you: postal
Clock flashes on changeover 16/06/2015 at 07:24 #73429
kaiwhara
584 posts
" said:
The reason the background colour was dropped was because it was suspected that was causing the flicker on some machines. The inverted button colour might be the best compromise (white text on red button for paused; green text on white button for not paused).
What about an F3 option?

Sorry guys, I am in the business of making people wait!
Clock flashes on changeover 16/06/2015 at 14:26 #73436
TimTamToe
655 posts
" said:

What about an F3 option?
Already suggested that idea. Not sure if it's good or bad that someone else is on my wavelength thought Andrew, be worried lol

" said:

Would it be possible for the end user to choose how the clock is shown when paused / unpaused through an option in the F3 menu?