Loader 4.5.8 update problems

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Loader 4.5.8 update problems

Page 1 of 1

Loader 4.5.8 update problems 07/04/2016 at 12:46 #81689
Hugh
37 posts
When I came across the SimSig website a few years ago I really thought I had found something I enjoyed. I was playing on Windows XP and then Windows 7. I could understand how to download any timetables and updates without too much of a problem. Nowadays things are a lot different from my point of view. I am NOT a computer geek, I do NOT have an A level or a degree in computer science. It feels like I have been left behind and forgotten about. Even the latest update is NOT understandable to me as it will NOT work for me.
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 07/04/2016 at 12:52 #81690
headshot119
4869 posts
In all fairness Hugh SimSig is doing it's best to simplify the process for downloading new simulations, and updates to existing ones. All of this is handled through the SimSig updater, and most of the time is one click of a button to download all the new files to the right place, and away you go.

There are a lot of advantages to the new method, the biggest of which is all the loader sims get to take advantage of the new core code features which come out as loader updates, without me having to recompile all of my sims and re-release them.

Now as for the latest update; I will accept that there is an issue, which was caused by a bug introduced and unnoticed in loader 4.5.8, but I'm sure we can help you fix that.

• Load up SimSig Loader

• Click on "Check for updates"

• You will be given a list of updates one of which will be "SimSigloader.exe - app 4.5.9.0

• At this point switch back to the SimSig Loader (This used to close automatically the bug is it doesn't)

• Press exit

• Switch back to SimSig Updater

• Follow the update process

• You should now have SimSig Loader 4.5.9

If this doesn't work, just drop us a reply and I'll see what I can do to help.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
The following users said thank you: Trainfan344, bfcmik, Hugh
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 07/04/2016 at 13:24 #81692
jc92
3626 posts
The loader does make things easier
You Just press Update and Voila everything is updated and new Sims are also now downloaded.

Granted this update may not work properly (I havent got home to try it yet personally) but doubtless a fix will be issued given that others have also had issues.

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 07/04/2016 at 13:45 #81693
Hugh
37 posts
Sorry but am still having issues. I am getting the same message box that madaboutrains was getting in a text box and then like nnr was getting I an still showing version 4.5.8.1 I totally don't understand "ensure the loader is closed" after you launch the updater program. Do you have a Facebook account? Maybe it would be possible to contact you or you me and we could send a private message and you could talk me through it in a phone call cos I also have problems downloading new tietables as they just seem to disappear into thin air .Thanks.
Last edited: 07/04/2016 at 13:46 by Hugh
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 07/04/2016 at 15:26 #81695
Steamer
3913 posts
" said:
Sorry but am still having issues. I am getting the same message box that madaboutrains was getting in a text box and then like nnr was getting I an still showing version 4.5.8.1 I totally don't understand "ensure the loader is closed" after you launch the updater program.
When you start the Loader, you get the "home screen", for want of a better description. When you click 'Check for updates', the updater will start. At this point, the "home screen" should disappear. Unfortunately, there is a bug which means that it doesn't- the window is still open. Therefore, after you've pressed 'Check for Updates' and the Updater appears, click on the "home screen"- you should still be able to see the left and right ends of it, and click "Exit". You will be left with the Updater- click next as normal, and all should be well.

Quote:
Do you have a Facebook account? Maybe it would be possible to contact you or you me and we could send a private message
With respect, the conversation would be best kept on this Forum- that way, other people can chip in to suggest fixes, and we can direct anyone else experiencing problems to this thread.

Quote:
I also have problems downloading new tietables as they just seem to disappear into thin air
Please can you try and download a timetable, and talk us through exactly what you're doing in as much detail as possible, and where in the process the timetable disappears? That way we can start to narrow down the cause of your problems.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 07/04/2016 at 15:46 #81697
GeoffM
6274 posts
Run the Loader. Press the Check For Updates button.

Notice the Loader window is still open behind the Updater. Press the Exit button on the Loader.

You can now continue with the updates.

I will update the system files install later.

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
SimSig Boss
The following users said thank you: LMK, belly buster
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 08/04/2016 at 06:55 #81708
Hugh
37 posts
Thankyou for your help. I managed to update the loader late last night. It has been suggested that I talk you through what is happening when I am trying to download timetables ( unsuccessfully ). I don't feel I have the skills or knowledge or know the correct terms to be able to put this in writing. I would find it so much easier to talk it through over the phone with the pictures in front of me on the screen.
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 08/04/2016 at 10:57 #81712
Steamer
3913 posts
" said:
It has been suggested that I talk you through what is happening when I am trying to download timetables ( unsuccessfully ). I don't feel I have the skills or knowledge or know the correct terms to be able to put this in writing.
It doesn't matter if it's not technical- just tell us what you're clicking, in as much detail as you can manage.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 08/04/2016 at 11:37 #81714
Ray
211 posts
Would it not be a good idea for the person who devised the loader to look at the code and sort it out so it works in the most natural way for all. After all when you buy software you don't normally have to go through hoops and obstacles to get it to install.
Last edited: 08/04/2016 at 11:39 by Ray
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 08/04/2016 at 12:56 #81715
Dick
384 posts
" said:
Would it not be a good idea for the person who devised the loader to look at the code and sort it out so it works in the most natural way for all. After all when you buy software you don't normally have to go through hoops and obstacles to get it to install.
I fail to see how it could be any simpler. There was a bug with the last version that has now been fixed. Earlier versions were fine and, presumably, so will later versions.

Loader 4.5.8 update problems 08/04/2016 at 13:21 #81717
postal
5189 posts
" said:
" said:
I fail to see how it could be any simpler. There was a bug with the last version that has now been fixed. Earlier versions were fine and, presumably, so will later versions.
When it works, which it did not for me until I manually copied a file over.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 08/04/2016 at 16:11 #81718
GeoffM
6274 posts
" said:
Which was already done. Unfortunately I'm not a time traveller so I can't go back to undo the small bug that crept in in the last update.

What is not clear is why one or two people still have problems. Of the 400+ at last count that did update over the last day or two, only a handful reported problems, and of those only one or two remain as far as I know.

SimSig Boss
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 09/04/2016 at 17:16 #81744
nnr
167 posts
It appears that it now "self exits" prior to updating.

Thanks whoever!

N.

Loader 4.5.8 update problems 09/04/2016 at 22:58 #81755
arabianights
138 posts
I also had this issue (just now) on a very standard windows 10 system, if you're counting severity of it. Geoff's fix works (tbh it would not be very hard for you to change the batch file I assume you're creating given the appearance of cmd just to copy a file, into a powershell file that could automate this)
Last edited: 09/04/2016 at 23:00 by arabianights
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 10/04/2016 at 11:47 #81758
splash
102 posts
I cannot update to 4.5.9. It says "Failed to copy" Never had any problems before with other updates. Any ideas what to do? .
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 10/04/2016 at 11:51 #81759
LMK
133 posts
" said:
I cannot update to 4.5.9. It says "Failed to copy" Never had any problems before with other updates. Any ideas what to do? .
Follow Geoff's instructions?

The following user said thank you: splash
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 10/04/2016 at 11:56 #81760
splash
102 posts
I have done as you asked. loader now updated to 4.5.9. Thank you for your help.
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 10/04/2016 at 12:00 #81761
LMK
133 posts
" said:
I have done as you asked. loader now updated to 4.5.9. Thank you for your help.
Lol! Anytime

Loader 4.5.8 update problems 15/05/2016 at 14:44 #82374
Trainmad091
89 posts
My loader is currently on V4.5.8.1 and the update is saying update to V4.5.11.0 however it will not work.

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Loader 4.5.8 update problems 15/05/2016 at 15:00 #82376
Lardybiker
771 posts
Just to complete this post, the screenshot shows 3 SimSig icons. The main loader window is still open during the update process. It needs to be closed BEFORE the updates are downloaded. Once the main window was closed, the updates did complete correctly.