Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Who's Online

andyallen4014, geswedey, mfloyd, taffy, JamesN, pipersam (6 users seen recently)

Yorkshire signal box map

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Yorkshire signal box map

Page 1 of 1

Yorkshire signal box map 30/05/2016 at 21:03 #82763
Steamer
3921 posts
In a similar manner to my Birmingham map, I've produced a schematic plan of most of South and West Yorkshire, showing all routes and the signal boxes controlling them. It isn't to scale, and some junction layouts (notably at Leeds and Doncaster) have been simplified for clarity- the main purpose is to show how and where all the various lines connect up.

I'm planning to add it to the Wiki, but before I do, I'd like to check that it's readable and correct- please take a look and feel free to post suggestions below.

Boxes are not shown for the Harrogate Loop and the lines towards Goole- these lines are controlled by a multitude of boxes, and there's little purpose in showing them all- not to mention the fact that I'd run out of colours. As a final note, I have no idea if any of the unavailable boxes are in development, or will ever be developed: they're shown simply to aid understanding of the area.

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Last edited: 30/05/2016 at 21:04 by Steamer
The following users said thank you: Finger, ozrail, AndyG, Fendahl, y10g9
Yorkshire signal box map 30/05/2016 at 21:18 #82764
jc92
3629 posts
Oakenshaw has now closed and passed to wakefield Kirkgate.

Hickleton and Moorthorpe are both also closed and now controlled by York IECC. I couldnt confirm if its part of Ardsley workstation or not.

Masborough Junction has been labelled as Mexborough Junction aswell.

Other than that all looks fine and Dandy!

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Last edited: 30/05/2016 at 21:22 by jc92
The following users said thank you: ozrail, Steamer
Yorkshire signal box map 30/05/2016 at 21:32 #82765
Steamer
3921 posts
" said:

Hickleton and Moorthorpe are both also closed and now controlled by York IECC. I couldnt confirm if its part of Ardsley workstation or not.
That's embarrassing, I'd completely missed Hickleton! It was tricky to decide what era to set the map in, as SimSig isn't always up to date with control areas. I'll leave them as they are for now, but might combine Oakenshaw with Wakefield.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Yorkshire signal box map 30/05/2016 at 21:37 #82766
Sacro
1171 posts
Nice map, actually the 'lines toward Goole' are just Ferrybridge PSB and then straight into Goole Box, Hensall and the others are gone.

Also that's not how you spell Rotherham :)
Nor is that right for Aldwarke

Last edited: 30/05/2016 at 21:42 by Sacro
The following users said thank you: Steamer, ozrail
Yorkshire signal box map 30/05/2016 at 22:13 #82772
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
Nice maps, just one thought.
Where you have a change of box at the boundary of page 1 and 2 it might make it a bit clearer if you continued one or other colors over the page so the interface was shown.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Yorkshire signal box map 31/05/2016 at 10:04 #82779
Steamer
3921 posts
" said:
Nice maps, just one thought.
Where you have a change of box at the boundary of page 1 and 2 it might make it a bit clearer if you continued one or other colors over the page so the interface was shown.

Peter
I've adjusted the Doncaster/York and Milford/Ferrybridge connections from the usual arrowhead to a square and circle respectively, to make it a bit clearer. Unfortunately, there aren't enough colours available to continue them over the page.

Yorkshire signal box map 31/05/2016 at 10:56 #82780
Danny252
1461 posts
What era did you decide to go for? If "bang up to date", at least Sheffield PSB has gone over to York ROC - I can't find any details on what, if anything else, the ROC has taken control of.
Last edited: 31/05/2016 at 11:00 by Danny252
Yorkshire signal box map 31/05/2016 at 13:19 #82789
Essexgirl
41 posts
" said:

Masborough Junction has been labelled as Mexborough Junction aswell.

Other than that all looks fine and Dandy!
York IECC, Ardsley W/S does now control Hickleton and Moorthorpe, the boundary to York ROC (Rotherham) is at Bolton-on-Dearne, which is protected by the ROC

Yorkshire signal box map 31/05/2016 at 15:02 #82793
WesternChampion
173 posts
It should be Forster Square not Forcester
The following user said thank you: Steamer
Yorkshire signal box map 31/05/2016 at 16:24 #82798
Steamer
3921 posts
" said:
What era did you decide to go for? If "bang up to date", at least Sheffield PSB has gone over to York ROC - I can't find any details on what, if anything else, the ROC has taken control of.
It's based on a 2006 Quail map. I didn't go fully up-to-date, because I wanted to give an indication of which areas each SimSig simulation controls- hence why York IECC is shown in 3 different colours (York N/S, Leeds E/W and the bits that aren't simulated yet).

Yorkshire signal box map 31/05/2016 at 20:00 #82802
DaveHarries
1266 posts
" said:
Boxes are not shown for the Harrogate Loop and the lines towards Goole- these lines are controlled by a multitude of boxes, and there's little purpose in showing them all- not to mention the fact that I'd run out of colours. As a final note, I have no idea if any of the unavailable boxes are in development, or will ever be developed: they're shown simply to aid understanding of the area.

Fair enough: you could say that the black dark coloured line on the first page represents a line containing areas of mechanical signalling. For anyone who is unfamilliar with the area and is wondering the boxes from Skelton Junction are, in order:

- Poppleton * **
- Hessay
- Marston Moor *
- Hammerton ** (mechanical signals: box in metal "shed")
- Cattal * **
- Knaresborough * **
- Belmont *
- Starbeck *
- Harrogate *
- Rigton *

* = easy to photograph | ** = places I have been for photos.

That is all I am aware of anyway.

HTIOI,
Dave

Yorkshire signal box map 01/06/2016 at 07:25 #82820
jc92
3629 posts
" said:
" said:

Fair enough: you could say that the black dark coloured line on the first page represents a line containing areas of mechanical signalling. For anyone who is unfamilliar with the area and is wondering the boxes from Skelton Junction are, in order:

- Poppleton * **
- Hessay
- Marston Moor *
- Hammerton ** (mechanical signals: box in metal "shed")
- Cattal * **
- Knaresborough * **
- Belmont *
- Starbeck *
- Harrogate *
- Rigton *

* = easy to photograph | ** = places I have been for photos.

That is all I am aware of anyway.

HTIOI,
Dave
Hessay, Marston Moor and Belmont are Crossing boxes only. Rigton is now closed and worked CCTV from Harrogate, although if you're including Rigton you need to include Horsforth as well. The line from Horsforth to Harrogate is now TCB worked from a workstation in Harrogate box.

Yorkshire signal box map 01/06/2016 at 16:27 #82831
elmer9999uk
3 posts
Cutsyke box is missing - it is between Castleford and Prince of Wales Colliery
Yorkshire signal box map 01/06/2016 at 16:34 #82832
DaveHarries
1266 posts
" said:
Hessay, Marston Moor and Belmont are Crossing boxes only. Rigton is now closed and worked CCTV from Harrogate, although if you're including Rigton you need to include Horsforth as well. The line from Horsforth to Harrogate is now TCB worked from a workstation in Harrogate box.

In view of there being semaphores on both sides of the crossing at Marston Moor I am surprised it is a gatebox. I have checked with Phil Deaves' "railwaycodes" site which confirms it was downgraded 04-Jun-1972.

Dave

Yorkshire signal box map 01/06/2016 at 17:28 #82846
jc92
3629 posts
" said:
" said:

In view of there being semaphores on both sides of the crossing at Marston Moor I am surprised it is a gatebox. I have checked with Phil Deaves' "railwaycodes" site which confirms it was downgraded 04-Jun-1972.

Dave
Why the suprise? Its not a block post as theres no suitable passing place. Its the same as any other crossing protected by semaphores in both directions. Theres a few like it still on the Network. Howsham on the Scarbro line being a good example.

Last edited: 01/06/2016 at 17:32 by jc92
Yorkshire signal box map 02/06/2016 at 03:14 #82861
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:

Dave
Why the suprise? Its not a block post as theres no suitable passing place. Its the same as any other crossing protected by semaphores in both directions. Theres a few like it still on the Network. Howsham on the Scarbro line being a good example.
Ty Croes on the North Wales Coast is like it as well; and should be turned back into a block post to break up the long section!

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Yorkshire signal box map 30/10/2016 at 13:30 #87081
Lyn-Greenwood
239 posts
When I try and Download the Signal Box map attachment, I get a simple message: "ERROR" and no explanation as to what is wrong. Has anyone else had this problem or is it something I'm doing wrong?
Yorkshire signal box map 30/10/2016 at 15:54 #87083
Ray
211 posts
Same here - error message.
An error occurred while processing your request.

Last edited: 30/10/2016 at 15:56 by Ray
Reason: editing

The following user said thank you: Lyn-Greenwood
Yorkshire signal box map 30/10/2016 at 21:32 #87098
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
There does not seem to be an intrinsic problem with the file type but there does seem to be a problem with some, but not all, files carried over from the old site.

Peter

Yorkshire signal box map 30/10/2016 at 22:03 #87099
Lyn-Greenwood
239 posts
Thanks, Peter. I'll try again in a few days and also keep an eye on the posts re the new website.
Yorkshire signal box map 31/10/2016 at 06:48 #87102
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
It has been suggested to me by PM that when the site migrated there was a file size limit which wiped out some of the larger attachments. The size has since been enlarged but that did not then reinstate the omitted files.

It's a theory that makes some sense to me.

Peter

Yorkshire signal box map 31/10/2016 at 21:13 #87110
Steamer
3921 posts
I've attached the map again below, there's also been some updates to reflect recent simulation releases and the comments above.

It will also be added to the Wiki when the Wiki is fixed.

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.