Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Kew Bridge station reversals

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Feltham > Kew Bridge station reversals

Page 1 of 1

Kew Bridge station reversals 04/10/2015 at 21:58 #76585
Underwood
746 posts
I'm not from this area so apologies for the lack of knowledge, but when is this layout based on? I am wondering about Kew Bridge.

I noticed that trains are terminating/starting here today (Sunday) from Hounslow way, due to engineering works, however the inbound and outboud services are booked for P1 at Kew Bridge. I'm not on the PC at the mo so can't get sig numbers, but basically the only way of getting to the down line is over the crossover to the West, but in the sim, that involves starting from a shunt signal, something you can't do with passengers on board I get told, but would this be an exception? Is there a main aspect signal that's now there?

Any help appreciated!

Kew Bridge station reversals 04/10/2015 at 23:09 #76587
JamesN
1574 posts
I can confirm they're starting back from F433 in passenger service, so dispensation must have been given.
Kew Bridge station reversals 05/10/2015 at 05:47 #76590
clive
2737 posts
It's not completely unheard of. A couple of weekends ago I had to go to London on Sunday morning. The main ECML was closed at Welwyn and so there was a limited service running via Hertford North. Therefore many of the trains from Cambridge, including the one I was one, terminated in platform 2 (Up Fast) at Stevenage and then returned in service by heading towards Hitchin over the Up-to-Down crossover. This is signalled with a shunt signal only.

There wasn't even any "tell the driver it's a special case": the shunt was already off by the time I'd got off the train and the driver hadn't got out of his cab.

Kew Bridge station reversals 05/10/2015 at 07:24 #76591
John
884 posts
It's permitted at Leatherhead as well.
Last edited: 05/10/2015 at 07:24 by John
Kew Bridge station reversals 05/10/2015 at 09:18 #76593
ajax103
1104 posts
It's been done at Letchworth Garden City too as due to engineering works, trains from Cambridge were terminating on Platform 1 and dispatched north manually using flag and bat. I ought to know as I was doing it there

It's also been done at Peterborough heading to London from Platform 4 using Single Line Working as to Stevenage yes if there's engineering works then trains can terminate in Plat 3 going north but need to do the shunt to Plat 1 or 2 as a ECS if returning southwards.

Kew Bridge station reversals 05/10/2015 at 09:22 #76594
jc92
3629 posts
This happens at Sheffield as well if the route south is Blocked and trains are running old road. Cross Country and East midlands services run north out of platform 6. The SBSI's require the route to be pulled backwards for the movement to ensure a complete safe route is set to the next main aspect.
"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Kew Bridge station reversals 05/10/2015 at 18:07 #76629
Underwood
746 posts
Thank you for confirming it was in use, much appreciated :)

Clearly it's not as restrictive as I've been lead to believe! (I've heard it from some BLS track scratchers 'It can't do that move with passengers on, it's not a main aspect'

Kew Bridge station reversals 05/10/2015 at 18:18 #76631
GeoffM
6280 posts
" said:
Thank you for confirming it was in use, much appreciated :)

Clearly it's not as restrictive as I've been lead to believe! (I've heard it from some BLS track scratchers 'It can't do that move with passengers on, it's not a main aspect')
Generally that is the rule but there are permanent exceptions (usually with conditions like jc92 mentioned - is the Leatherhead one permanent, John?) as well as temporary dispensations.

SimSig Boss
Kew Bridge station reversals 05/10/2015 at 18:42 #76633
John
884 posts
Normal practise is, if a train is turned short at Leatherhead due to late running, the stock will run ecs to Ashtead to start the back working. This is just to clear the down line for other trains.

However if terminations at Leatherhead are planned due to engineering work, trains will start back from Leatherhead in service.

EDIT:

The actual rule is: Drivers of class 377 services with operational doo cameras are to note that passenger services can restart as a service train back towards London from GPS 1198. All other classes of traction must run ecs unless platform despatch is provided.

Last edited: 05/10/2015 at 18:51 by John
The following users said thank you: headshot119, GeoffM