Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Who's Online

bri2808, gcoggans, mfloyd, TUT, JamesN, block_operator (6 users seen recently)

Weird ARS behaviour after forcing ARS on an alternative line

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > LTS > Weird ARS behaviour after forcing ARS on an alternative line

Page 1 of 1

Weird ARS behaviour after forcing ARS on an alternative line 04/10/2015 at 20:01 #76580
Jan
889 posts
I didn't investigate this very closely, but I think what is happening is the following:
After forcing a non-ARS train ARS on an alternative line, e.g. running SL vs. FL at Fenchurch Street, or maybe also an alternative platform at Barking etc., ARS gets a bit confused and continues trying to route that train on alternative lines further down the route.

I remember that at some point - probably after I had to do a bit of re-routing around Fenchurch Street - I had a few down trains via the main line which, upon reaching Barking, ARS tried to run reversible on the Up Line, and just now ARS was trying to route 2R80 via the Goods Line through Ripple Lane Yard - because of an ambulance attendance blocking the line at Limehouse there were some delays at Fenchurch Street and I think I rerouted that train to depart via the Fast Line and then forced it ARS.

Edit: I should add that if I use "Query ARS Timetable", this shows the wrong routing as well, e.g. 2R80 had a line code of GL after Barking in the ARS timetable.

Two million people attempt to use Birmingham's magnificent rail network every year, with just over a million of them managing to get further than Smethwick.
Last edited: 04/10/2015 at 20:06 by Jan
Weird ARS behaviour after forcing ARS on an alternative line 04/10/2015 at 21:17 #76583
BarryM
2158 posts
ARS is just an aid. It will work if you have a perfect setup. If you have disruptions or change of timetabling, the sim needs to be worked manually.

Barry

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Weird ARS behaviour after forcing ARS on an alternative line 04/10/2015 at 23:42 #76588
flabberdacks
576 posts
I've noticed a theme with ARS across multiple sims, where sometimes if you route one train via the wrong line in a bi-directional arrangement, it will often try to route following trains the same way until you grab it and force it to run them on the correct road.

I've had it happen in a number of sims back to SwinDid, still trying to find out what triggers it so I can reproduce and try to report somehow.

The following user said thank you: tjfrancis
Weird ARS behaviour after forcing ARS on an alternative line 05/10/2015 at 09:33 #76595
Jan
889 posts
@BarryM: I know that, but this doesn't mean that ARS can't have genuine bugs as well.

It used to be the case that a train routed to an alternative line could be made ARS again and ARS would try to route it back to its original path at the earliest opportunity without doing any other fancy things afterwards.
I've just fired up Victoria Central for a quick test and generally that still seems to be the case (i.e. trains switched from Fast to Slow and vice versa try getting back to their original line at the earliest opportunity), although I've noticed some weirdness there as well:
I've rerouted an Up Fast train (1U59-1) to the Up Slow at Balham and the next thing that happened was that ARS tried routing it to Clapham Junction P16 (but not any further), instead of routing it through P14 and then back to the Up Fast.

Two million people attempt to use Birmingham's magnificent rail network every year, with just over a million of them managing to get further than Smethwick.
Last edited: 05/10/2015 at 09:33 by Jan
Weird ARS behaviour after forcing ARS on an alternative line 05/10/2015 at 09:56 #76598
BarryM
2158 posts
Perhaps Mr Mayo may give you an answer?

Barry

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Weird ARS behaviour after forcing ARS on an alternative line 05/10/2015 at 16:24 #76620
GeoffM
6280 posts
Re-routing individual trains should not affect any other train as it's on a per-train basis, not globally.

Routing once and then it re-routing some time after rejoining the original path is potentially feasible though so I'll look into that.

SimSig Boss