Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Rugby > ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby

Page 1 of 1

ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby 05/10/2015 at 17:12 #76624
Phil-jmw
671 posts
First of all, well done to the development team for the Rugby SCC sims, all three are excellent. However, I've noticed some strange behaviour of the ARS at Northampton and Rugby.

Running the timetable from 0000, I've noticed the following:-

1. Rugby:-
ARS is clearing signals 4 - 5 minutes before booked departure time for 4L82 (signal clears at 0154 for 0158 departure) and 1G49 (0125 for 0129 departure). Is this prototypical?

2. Northampton:-
a. ARS routes 6A73, 4L69 & 4L81 from RY1036 UFL to bay Pfm 5 instead of along the Up Main.
b. 5N39 standing on the Down Fast at RY1216 GPL signal waiting a route to Pfm 5 after reversing, but RY1036 signal clears along the Up Main.
c. RY1033 clears for 5N99 to the Down Fast but it is booked to Kings Heath Depot.

In a separate issue at Northampton, after routing an empty unit into Pfm 1 from the north, I could not set a route from RY1036 along the Up Main until the overlap, which was set towards the Bridge St Branch, had timed out.

Has anyone else experienced these anomalies?

Phil.

ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby 05/10/2015 at 18:57 #76634
GeoffM
6281 posts
" said:
ARS is clearing signals 4 - 5 minutes before booked departure time for 4L82 (signal clears at 0154 for 0158 departure) and 1G49 (0125 for 0129 departure). Is this prototypical?
Prototypical probably depends on the signaller! But yes the sim is set up to allow departures that early.

" said:
a. ARS routes 6A73, 4L69 & 4L81 from RY1036 UFL to bay Pfm 5 instead of along the Up Main.
b. 5N39 standing on the Down Fast at RY1216 GPL signal waiting a route to Pfm 5 after reversing, but RY1036 signal clears along the Up Main.
c. RY1033 clears for 5N99 to the Down Fast but it is booked to Kings Heath Depot.
Probably missing line/path/platform codes. I know we had discussions about leaving the timetable exactly as written in real life, warts and all, or fixing it to make it "work". Contentious issue. That said, some of those shouldn't happen (especially c) but I've not noticed (a).

" said:
In a separate issue at Northampton, after routing an empty unit into Pfm 1 from the north, I could not set a route from RY1036 along the Up Main until the overlap, which was set towards the Bridge St Branch, had timed out.
Time of operation locking: points locked in current position if <50yds beyond the signal, in case of overruns. Times out with the overlap.

SimSig Boss
The following user said thank you: Phil-jmw
ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby 05/10/2015 at 18:59 #76635
Noisynoel
989 posts
" said:
" said:
Prototypical probably depends on the signaller! But yes the sim is set up to allow departures that early.

" said:
Probably missing line/path/platform codes. I know we had discussions about leaving the timetable exactly as written in real life, warts and all, or fixing it to make it "work". Contentious issue. That said, some of those shouldn't happen (especially c) but I've not noticed (a).

" said:
Time of operation locking: points locked in current position if <50yds beyond the signal, in case of overruns. Times out with the overlap.
Geoff,
I can confirm (a). It happened to me a while back, but i assumed I'd cocked up not the ars and couldn't replicate it!

Noisynoel
ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby 05/10/2015 at 20:23 #76638
Phil-jmw
671 posts
Thanks for the answers Geoff. I'd never heard of time of operation locking, you learn something new every day
ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby 11/10/2015 at 10:15 #76783
ajax103
1104 posts
As this is ARS issues in the sim, I've got 5W78 stopped at Signal RY1216 to shunt over to Platform 1 which is currently delayed as driver needs loo break.

Now for some reason, the ARS automatically has routed it back into Riverside Sidings A twice now and also has set a route from RY1036 to RY1022 on the Up Northampton Fast and there's no train anywhere near the station.

Secondly if the train is not booked to call at Northampton or Long Buckby, why do the drivers keep complaining of wrong route set if I decide to send them via Weedon?

As far as I understand it, they should only query the route if they are booked to call at either these two stations and not if they are non stopping.

ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby 12/10/2015 at 00:12 #76806
flabberdacks
576 posts
" said:
As this is ARS issues in the sim, I've got 5W78 stopped at Signal RY1216 to shunt over to Platform 1 which is currently delayed as driver needs loo break.

Now for some reason, the ARS automatically has routed it back into Riverside Sidings A twice now and also has set a route from RY1036 to RY1022 on the Up Northampton Fast and there's no train anywhere near the station.
I've had this same thing happen. You can cancel the route but as soon as ARS is reset it tries to put the train back into the Riverside Siding again without hesitation.

ARS set that same unnecessary route on the Fast for me as well, which coincided with my manually setting a route from the bay platform to the Slow line. It only did this once, however, was unable to reproduce after resetting ARS.

ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby 12/10/2015 at 07:40 #76807
Danny252
1461 posts
Are you saying that after cancelling a route for a train, ARS is setting the route again? Unless the train is made non-ARS or the signal (s) are collared, I don't see how this behaviour is wrong.
ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby 20/10/2015 at 22:21 #77115
Pinza
106 posts
I Live in Rugby. Indeed adjacent to Hillmorton Jn.

Shame I can't see it from my groundfloor flat - should have bought upstairs instead for added interest!

So buying the multipack Rugby SCC package was a no-brainer - and money well spent!

Have run the Rugby Centre Sim full entire timetable.

Yes, had same documented ARS weird routings at Northampton that I spotted in time and over-ruled!

One thing I did spot, that doesn't seem to have been mentioned on forum yet is this:

If you have close running trains on the Up Northampton loop, the Train Describer seems to transpose train IDs just south of Hunsbury Hill Tunnel.

This happened on several occasions - not yet saved evidence of this - but trust me, it does happen!

Couple of right mouse clicks corrected this - but surely a bug?

Now having a play on Rugby South:

Only issues so far (only up to 0327 in realtime) is that LSNT (Last Sent Train) doesn't seem to update on handover on either down line (fast or Slow) to Hanslope Jn (Northampton Desk). Not an issue - the APPR warning is far more important!

Also Bletchley Relief 2 Neck has a missing L - possibly deliberate due to space constraints?

Fantastic sim - just that weird behaviour on the Up Northampton Loop that threw me!

Only thing I need to sort out now is the Black Magic of chaining Rugby Central on main PC to Rugby South on laptop!

Last edited: 20/10/2015 at 22:22 by Pinza
Reason: typo

ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby 20/10/2015 at 22:49 #77116
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
I Live in Rugby. Indeed adjacent to Hillmorton Jn.

Shame I can't see it from my groundfloor flat - should have bought upstairs instead for added interest!

So buying the multipack Rugby SCC package was a no-brainer - and money well spent!

Have run the Rugby Centre Sim full entire timetable.

Yes, had same documented ARS weird routings at Northampton that I spotted in time and over-ruled!

One thing I did spot, that doesn't seem to have been mentioned on forum yet is this:

If you have close running trains on the Up Northampton loop, the Train Describer seems to transpose train IDs just south of Hunsbury Hill Tunnel.

This happened on several occasions - not yet saved evidence of this - but trust me, it does happen!

Couple of right mouse clicks corrected this - but surely a bug?

Now having a play on Rugby South:

Only issues so far (only up to 0327 in realtime) is that LSNT (Last Sent Train) doesn't seem to update on handover on either down line (fast or Slow) to Hanslope Jn (Northampton Desk). Not an issue - the APPR warning is far more important!

Also Bletchley Relief 2 Neck has a missing L - possibly deliberate due to space constraints?

Fantastic sim - just that weird behaviour on the Up Northampton Loop that threw me!

Only thing I need to sort out now is the Black Magic of chaining Rugby Central on main PC to Rugby South on laptop!
Bold part of quote Mantis 14369 on the issue tracker.

"When THNTJ becomes occupied the TD at HN5294 incorrectly steps to HN5290. It should step to HN5292"

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
The following user said thank you: Pinza
ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby 08/11/2015 at 18:02 #77522
Jan
889 posts
Another issue at that location, I don't know if it's been picked up already:
Track circuit THNTK is probably a bit too short, because trains take very little time to pass it and even ordinary passenger trains manage to occupy THNTL, THNTK and THNTJ at the same time.

Two million people attempt to use Birmingham's magnificent rail network every year, with just over a million of them managing to get further than Smethwick.
ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby 08/11/2015 at 18:46 #77526
Jan
889 posts
" said:
" said:

I still don't quite see how time of operation locking relates to this.
It's happening when a route is set from the DGL to P1 (RY1220 to RY1024). Once that route is set (even with the overlap pointing towards Bridge Street), setting routes to or from RY1022 (RY1022 to HN5306, or RY1036 to RY1022 once the train from the DGL has cleared the route across the main line) fails with the message "No overlap available".

The other way round it's working fine - if the route is set from RY1022 to HN5306, I can set the route from RY1220 to RY1024 without any problems.

Two million people attempt to use Birmingham's magnificent rail network every year, with just over a million of them managing to get further than Smethwick.
Last edited: 08/11/2015 at 19:04 by Jan
ARS Issues at Northampton And Rugby 20/11/2015 at 19:25 #77960
Jan
889 posts
Both of these (track circuit THNTK too short and the route setting problems at Northampton) are still present in v1.2.