Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Edge Hill updates

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Edge Hill > Edge Hill updates

Page 1 of 2

Edge Hill updates 04/03/2016 at 21:20 #81008
GeoffM
6282 posts
The Edge Hill simulation has been updated to version 2.0. Click "Check for Updates" in the Loader. Apologies once again for the issues found.

A list of issues fixed can be found here. If there are any we have missed, please reply to this thread so they're all in one place.

SimSig Boss
The following user said thank you: Steamer
Edge Hill updates 04/03/2016 at 21:24 #81009
tjfrancis
358 posts
the only update come thouth was the timetable no sim update come thouth on the two sims
I am dyslexic so please consider this when reading my posts
Edge Hill updates 04/03/2016 at 21:41 #81010
jc92
3629 posts
I've had the same issue. TT's are updated but no updated sim files.
"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Edge Hill updates 04/03/2016 at 22:10 #81011
Dick
386 posts
Same here
Edge Hill updates 04/03/2016 at 22:25 #81013
GeoffM
6282 posts
Should be ok if you check again now.
SimSig Boss
The following users said thank you: tjfrancis, Dick
Edge Hill updates 05/03/2016 at 00:46 #81017
Steamer
3922 posts
" said:

A list of issues fixed can be found here. If there are any we have missed, please reply to this thread so they're all in one place.
None of the missing timetable paths I reported are on the 'fixed' list, and don't appear to have been fixed in the simulation.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Edge Hill updates 05/03/2016 at 13:17 #81021
madaboutrains
307 posts
You are still missing a few Auto buttons on edge hill. Cant remember what they are right now.
RIP Feltham Panel 1
Edge Hill updates 05/03/2016 at 13:20 #81022
Mattyq
259 posts
1. What is the unlabelled slot roundel near signal SE21? Just looks like it's in the middle of nowhere?
2. Crossing *4, *5 & *6 at Monks Sdg/Fiddlers Ferry are not labelled.
3. Setting a long route from DN8002/8004/8006 into O'Connors accepts the command but only sets the route to the first signal.

Not fat ..... fluffy!! (G Iglesias)
Last edited: 05/03/2016 at 13:33 by Mattyq
Edge Hill updates 05/03/2016 at 13:35 #81023
Steamer
3922 posts
" said:
1. What is the unlabelled slot roundel near signal SE21? Just looks like it's in the middle of nowhere?
It appears to be a slot on the route from AN33 to SE21.

" said:

You are still missing a few Auto buttons on edge hill. Cant remember what they are right now.
LE299, LE301 and LE39 still missing based on your previous post.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Last edited: 05/03/2016 at 13:40 by Steamer
Edge Hill updates 05/03/2016 at 14:20 #81025
madaboutrains
307 posts
Yup, Thanks for that
RIP Feltham Panel 1
Edge Hill updates 05/03/2016 at 18:25 #81032
Noisynoel
989 posts
" said:
All of the auto buttons that are on the scheme plan are in the sim. If they are not on the scheme plan then they are not included

Noisynoel
The following user said thank you: DriverCurran
Edge Hill updates 05/03/2016 at 18:26 #81033
Noisynoel
989 posts
" said:
" said:

None of the missing timetable paths I reported are on the 'fixed' list, and don't appear to have been fixed in the simulation.
Sorry, I forgot to include the new path file when I built the sim

Noisynoel
The following user said thank you: Steamer
Edge Hill updates 05/03/2016 at 18:43 #81035
madaboutrains
307 posts
I got a picture of the panel with auto buttons there?
RIP Feltham Panel 1
Edge Hill updates 06/03/2016 at 13:23 #81052
stighetl
97 posts
Do I have to start a new save for the update to take effect, or can I just continue the one I'm playing on now?
- Stig
Edge Hill updates 06/03/2016 at 22:17 #81065
Steamer
3922 posts
" said:
Do I have to start a new save for the update to take effect, or can I just continue the one I'm playing on now?
Once you've updated, the Loader will attempt to load a save made on a previous version. Quite often it works, however this is not guaranteed.

Edge Hill updates 06/03/2016 at 22:46 #81066
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
" said:
Can you post the picture?

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Edge Hill updates 06/03/2016 at 23:02 #81068
Steamer
3922 posts
" said:
" said:
Can you post the picture?

Peter
He posted it in an earlier thread- photo can be seen here

The following user said thank you: Peter Bennet
Edge Hill updates 07/03/2016 at 07:22 #81071
Noisynoel
989 posts
Yes, but it is not on the scheme plan that the sim is built to. We can't include every little change that happens to a box over time and have to decide exactly what period we are designing it on. Edge Hill is designed to the date of the scheme plan. The additional auto buttons could easily have been added at a later date as it's just a question of adding a tile to the panel facia.
Noisynoel
The following user said thank you: DriverCurran
Edge Hill updates 07/03/2016 at 08:34 #81072
JamesN
1575 posts
Quote:
The additional auto buttons could easily have been added at a later date as it's just a question of adding a tile to the panel facia.
In much the same way as the auto button symbols could easily have been ommited from the scheme plan drawing?

Edge Hill updates 07/03/2016 at 09:01 #81074
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
What date is the scheme plan; what date is the photo?

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Edge Hill updates 07/03/2016 at 10:11 #81075
Andrew G
548 posts
While I have come across situations where Auto Buttons have been added post commissioning - for example the Hartford Junction area on the NX panel in Winsford - there appears to be a more significant omission when you look at the picture of the panel and the initial post regarding the Signal Numbers which are missing Auto buttons.

In the rear of Wavertree Technology Park Station on the Down Chat Moss, and in advance of LE299, there is clearly another signal - with entrance/exit button and Auto button - which I suspect is LE301. The addition of a new signal is not such a simple alteration and unless the picture is misleading I have a strong suspicion the scheme plan used as the source for the simulation may well have been superseded at the time of commissioning.

There is also the issue of consistency. If you decide to stick to the principle of only using one scheme plan for a specific era then I think you should have included the slots to Liverpool Lime Street on the Up Slow and Speke Junction to Allerton Junction, which you have chosen to omit to simplify solo play, and also not introduced slot controls where they don't exist in real life (e.g. Speke Sidings).

Finally I am curious as to the meaning of the final note on the update section in the manual.

In addition several alterations have been made to the Ditton area to try and simulate how the signalling actually works better.

This implies there might have been an element of guess work regarding the other locations within the simulation. While I accept there might be occasions where an educated guess, based on signalling principles, may be required to complete a simulation I think this should be clear within the manual. Were scheme plans available and used for all of the boxes simulated?

Last edited: 07/03/2016 at 11:01 by Andrew G
Reason: Grammar

The following users said thank you: JamesN, KymriskaDraken, Temple Meads, jc92
Edge Hill updates 07/03/2016 at 13:40 #81076
clive
2738 posts
" said:
The additional auto buttons could easily have been added at a later date as it's just a question of adding a tile to the panel facia.
No, it isn't.

You've got to add wiring between the panel and the interlocking. If it's a free-wired interlocking you've got to add the relays for the auto logic, while if it's geographical you've got to make the changes to the configuration. Even SSIs will require data changes.

Then the whole thing has to be re-tested.

The following user said thank you: Stephen Fulcher
Edge Hill updates 07/03/2016 at 22:13 #81087
JamesN
1575 posts
I suspect you're both correct.

In both this and this photos, the provision of auto buttons is as per the sim, but the Olive Mount Chord is not yet present.

When the Olive Mount Chord was reinstated in 2009, a new panel was provided in Edge Hill box, as the old panel wouldn't take the modifications necessary.

I suspect this opportunity was taken to provide new controls on the Panel, such as the Auto buttons previously mentioned.

So the accurate solution would be 2 eras - one with the Olive Mount Chord and auto buttons as Dan describes, the other without the Olive Mount Chord and auto buttons as sim is currently.

Edge Hill updates 07/03/2016 at 23:22 #81088
GeoffM
6282 posts
If you compare Dan's photo to the simulation, it isn't a case of missing signals or missing auto buttons. The layout of the signals is actually different. Looking at what is probably the same scheme plan as what Noel used to produce the layout, he has it per plan, which in my case is dated early 2008. It would appear that signals and overlaps were moved between the scheme plan and the commissioning.

Sometimes it's not until after a sim is released that such information becomes apparent when people start coming forward who were previously unknown to have knowledge on the subject.

SimSig Boss
Edge Hill updates 08/03/2016 at 00:51 #81091
Andrew G
548 posts
" said:
If you compare Dan's photo to the simulation, it isn't a case of missing signals or missing auto buttons. The layout of the signals is actually different. Looking at what is probably the same scheme plan as what Noel used to produce the layout, he has it per plan, which in my case is dated early 2008. It would appear that signals and overlaps were moved between the scheme plan and the commissioning.

Sometimes it's not until after a sim is released that such information becomes apparent when people start coming forward who were previously unknown to have knowledge on the subject.
All fair comment and I did mention it looked like the scheme plan used for the development might have been superseded.

However, that doesn't answer points I have raised regarding missing slots and slots used in place of procedural phone calls were signalling controls do not exist in real life. The general point I was making here is that if a developer sticks by their source material then they should replicate the 'as is situation' provided it can be accommodated within the core code. Noel has commented elsewhere on these points so I suppose we will just need to agree to disagree, even though the 'accuracy' of the released simulation is impacted.

It is a shame as I think the area simulated is an interesting one, I just think on this occasion it has been poorly executed.

Your final point is an interesting one as the majority of the community are unaware of what simulations are in development until they are released. So it is therefore difficult for anybody with additional source material or detailed knowledge of an installation to come forward at an earlier stage.

Last edited: 08/03/2016 at 00:52 by Andrew G