Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Signal Box Diagrams

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (signalling) > Signal Box Diagrams

Page 1 of 2

Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 17:47 #59229
madaboutrains
307 posts
(topic deleted at OP's email request - left on file for reference}
RIP Feltham Panel 1
Last edited: 24/04/2014 at 16:21 by GeoffM
The following users said thank you: Sacro, Oddjob, welwyn, tjfrancis, CTCThiago, sorabain, nroberts
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 17:54 #59230
sloppyjag
480 posts
Quote:
Last Edit: Today 17:48 by madaboutrains. Reason: Sensitive documents (Security)
If these documents are sensitive ahould you be sharing them on a public forum?

Planotransitophobic!
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 17:58 #59231
madaboutrains
307 posts
I don't want any person other than Signal fans to view them
RIP Feltham Panel 1
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 18:38 #59239
GW43125
495 posts
Just a quick one,
May I please ask how you get in signalboxes and cabs?
Have asked a similar question on youtube, cannot find anywhere on facebook.

Sorry if this sounds a little rude,
DSW. (GreatWestern43125)

Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 19:01 #59241
madaboutrains
307 posts
Write in the the company's or if you know someone you can get in.
RIP Feltham Panel 1
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 19:02 #59242
Peter Bennet
5357 posts
Do I needs some sort of password? All I get is a blank screen (with a bit of a header) and a login link to the right.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 19:09 #59243
madaboutrains
307 posts
Do you have a Google Account? If you do log-in and hopefully you would be able to see my hard work.
RIP Feltham Panel 1
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 19:14 #59244
Peter Bennet
5357 posts
" said:
Do you have a Google Account? If you do log-in and hopefully you would be able to see my hard work.
Not knowingly.

Peter

Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 19:33 #59245
GW43125
495 posts
" said:
So if a family member was on the railway I'd be able to get in (maybe)? Oh well, sadly not.

So maybe a letter to the head of a TOC (SWT, SET, etc...) would maybe assist matters.
Would it be a good idea to mention that I am interested in doing work experience on the railway next year?

All help would be appreciated,
Thanks a lot,
DSW (GW43125)

Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 19:35 #59246
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
" said:
So if a family member was on the railway I'd be able to get in (maybe)? Oh well, sadly not.

So maybe a letter to the head of a TOC (SWT, SET, etc...) would maybe assist matters.
Would it be a good idea to mention that I am interested in doing work experience on the railway next year?

Thanks a lot,
DSW (GW43125)
Cab rides are fairly hard to get.

Signalbox visits less so I think.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 19:40 #59248
DriverCurran
682 posts
I would strongly advise any body who may like to visit a signal box of any size, that all such buildings are operational buildings and also more importantly private property. This also does include preserved lines. The only way to ensure that any visits do not put both your own liberty and that of any friends or family (including their livelyhood) at risk is to contact the organisation responsible for the operation of that signalling installation and obtain offical permission to visit. Some signalmen on preserved lines may allow ad hoc visits depending on what is happening at the time, however they still have the authority to refuse entry even if nothing is operating. Also I refer all members of the forum to the following.

Never use the SimSig name to attempt to arrange a visit without written (including email) permission from SimSig. Those who can give that permission have @SimSig.co.uk email addresses.
SimSig will be unhappy if you use a visit as a fishing expedition to gain access to other contacts or signalboxes. Be courteous by informing SimSig if you want to gain such information.

You have to get a red before you can get any other colour
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 19:42 #59249
GW43125
495 posts
" said:
I would strongly advise any body who may like to visit a signal box of any size, that all such buildings are operational buildings and also more importantly private property. This also does include preserved lines. The only way to ensure that any visits do not put both your own liberty and that of any friends or family (including their livelyhood) at risk is to contact the organisation responsible for the operation of that signalling installation and obtain offical permission to visit. Some signalmen on preserved lines may allow ad hoc visits depending on what is happening at the time, however they still have the authority to refuse entry even if nothing is operating. Also I refer all members of the forum to the following.

Never use the SimSig name to attempt to arrange a visit without written (including email) permission from SimSig. Those who can give that permission have @SimSig.co.uk email addresses.
SimSig will be unhappy if you use a visit as a fishing expedition to gain access to other contacts or signalboxes. Be courteous by informing SimSig if you want to gain such information.
I promise you I will not mention SimSig at all if I do write about this. I will seek permission if I wish to, which is unlikely.

DSW.

Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 19:43 #59250
GW43125
495 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:

Thanks a lot,
DSW (GW43125)
Cab rides are fairly hard to get.

Signalbox visits less so I think.
If madaboutrains can do it, why can't I?

It's always worth a try...

Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 20:11 #59252
headshot119
4869 posts
I never said you couldn't, I simple know it's the chances of a TOC or FOC letting you in the cab are much less than Network Rail letting you in a signal box.
"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 20:37 #59255
rodney30
158 posts
i just clicked on file then download
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 20:47 #59256
clive
2737 posts
What's the story behind these? Have you put them together yourself from photos, or are they from an official source, or what?
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 21:25 #59258
madaboutrains
307 posts
I when to those boxes and tools hundreds of pictures then on Adobe Illustrator I made the product that you see here
RIP Feltham Panel 1
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 21:37 #59260
Zoe
251 posts
Even though the diagrams posted above have been drawn on a computer using photos taken on a box visit, they do reproduce the Network Rail diagram and so there could be copyright issues.
Last edited: 21/04/2014 at 21:40 by Zoe
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 21:45 #59261
Peter Bennet
5357 posts
Oh no not the copyright discussion again.

Found my son had an account so have had a look - very good.

Peter

Last edited: 21/04/2014 at 21:50 by Peter Bennet
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 21:59 #59262
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
Even though the diagrams posted above have been drawn on a computer using photos taken on a box visit, they do reproduce the Network Rail diagram and so there could be copyright issues.
Not quite sure how that works, if it's all the authors own work.

Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 22:02 #59263
Zoe
251 posts
" said:
Not quite sure how that works, if it's all the authors own work.

I'm not sure if it would be "all the author's own work" though if you reproduce a diagram (even if by hand) since it could be considered to be including intellectual property from the original diagram (for which I expect the copyright would be owned by Network Rail).

Last edited: 22/04/2014 at 02:32 by Zoe
Signal Box Diagrams 21/04/2014 at 22:20 #59264
Peter Bennet
5357 posts
Given the subject of copyright has been done to death several times on this site, perhaps more research needs to be done rather than speculation of what may or may not be the case.

Peter

Signal Box Diagrams 22/04/2014 at 02:01 #59270
maxand
1637 posts
To Peter Bennet:
Although I do have a Google Gmail account, I was able to view all these PDF files simply by right-clicking them and opening them in a new Firefox tab. The PDF page (in Firefox) said "Login" so I must have been logged out when viewing them. I don't understand why you had problems in simply viewing these documents. Has anyone else found this?

If madaboutrains really wants to make them viewable only by SimSig members they could be included in a password-protected ZIP file and uploaded to miscellaneous downloads. Then interested parties could PM him for the password.

Signal Box Diagrams 22/04/2014 at 10:14 #59276
Firefly
521 posts
Dan, I must say I'm very impressed. It must of taken ages.

It was obviously a very recent visit to Feltham as you have 78 Signal at Kingston.

We put a new track circuit (LY) on the up line between 80 signal and 410 when we did that work at Kingston.

5 Signal at Richmond also has a Banner now but the patch that was installed on the panel was awful and you'd be forgiven for thinking it was graffiti!

FF

The following users said thank you: Hooverman, madaboutrains
Signal Box Diagrams 22/04/2014 at 10:18 #59277
ggg gg
7 posts
Really enjoyed looking at these, I'm sure a lot of hours have been invested in them.

They could also be extremely useful for open data mapping websites like OTT, not to mention the developers of the relevant areas in Simsig.

The following user said thank you: madaboutrains