Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

LU Signal box codes

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (signalling) > LU Signal box codes

Page 1 of 1

LU Signal box codes 27/07/2014 at 15:04 #63211
HeadController
33 posts
Looking at the davros site there is a page which has information about the codes although there appears to be some errors.

Just wondering where the information came from as there is no mention of souce.

I am almost sure that Clive is a member on here.
:yikes

LU Signal box codes 27/07/2014 at 16:25 #63212
madaboutrains
307 posts
As far as I am aware the signal numbers represent the signal cabin (similar to a interlocking room). I may not be correct but all of the LU boxes that I have visited are signaller for the old signal cabin areas.
RIP Feltham Panel 1
LU Signal box codes 28/07/2014 at 17:13 #63243
HeadController
33 posts
I think you may have misunderstood me, the numbers normally indicate the lever number. I was asking about the actual area codes on the page that davros has there are as I have said some errors and I was just wondering where the source of the information used came from.
LU Signal box codes 28/07/2014 at 18:10 #63247
metcontrol
217 posts
A link to the page or even a clue to the ones you think may be wrong would be helpful. I had a quick browse and whilst I could not find a list of the Cabin Codes, I did notice that some of the site has not been updated recently. Much has changed over recent years - in particular on the Northern, Victoria and Jubilee Lines.
LU Signal box codes 28/07/2014 at 18:50 #63250
HeadController
33 posts
I thought it was accessible via the site but having checked it is not sorry about that.

Signal Box codes

Last edited: 28/07/2014 at 18:54 by HeadController
LU Signal box codes 29/07/2014 at 08:27 #63262
metcontrol
217 posts
From what I can see of the areas I am most familiar with (Met, H&C, District, Jubilee) everything appears in order.

But.. There is a mix between original cabin codes and present day codes which isn't immediately clear until you read the small print. There are also a fair number of the codes listed that have either been removed years ago, or codes which have been absorbed into new signalling/upgrade works on tube lines in particular.

Which codes in particular were you querying?

LU Signal box codes 29/07/2014 at 11:19 #63266
HeadController
33 posts
That is part of the problem there is a mixture of old and new without explanation. There are some more specific the mention of JM/MM for Neasden depot while it does allow access to & from the depot is not Neasden.

Also on the Central line, Liverpool Street was never CA it was A then it became LB likewise the LD was only the proposed code for Stratford. Then the mention of LK was the unofficial code for Grange Hill! LK was proposed for Chigwell but never used and Grange Hill had LL like Hainault as it was controlled from there normally.

I am sure you are aware of this but that was the reason I asked about the source, there are other things which could be questioned.

LU Signal box codes 30/07/2014 at 10:59 #63306
Harsig
16 posts
That list seems to be quite similar to the list found at the bottom of this page:

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/signalling2.htm

Certainly many of the errors seem to be the same.

For example both lists indicate that Eastcote was formerly MR when in fact all the evidence I've seen (yellow perils etc) indicate it was actually MS.

LU Signal box codes 30/07/2014 at 13:04 #63311
HeadController
33 posts
That's why I was asking it looks like a cut and paste but wanted to know. There are some groups which have lists and the layout seems similar to them also.
LU Signal box codes 31/07/2014 at 11:50 #63353
clive
2736 posts
" said:
Looking at the davros site there is a page which has information about the codes although there appears to be some errors.
That page never got finished. I'm not sure how you came across it as it isn't linked from anywhere.

Quote:

Just wondering where the information came from as there is no mention of souce.
I collected the information from a number of sources. Since I'm not trying to do anything formal, I don't normally keep a record of the sources of each piece of information. In addition, different sources often conflict.

If you know of errors in it I'd be interested.

Quote:

I am almost sure that Clive is a member on here.
Yes: same Clive.

LU Signal box codes 31/07/2014 at 11:52 #63354
clive
2736 posts
" said:
A link to the page or even a clue to the ones you think may be wrong would be helpful. I had a quick browse and whilst I could not find a list of the Cabin Codes, I did notice that some of the site has not been updated recently. Much has changed over recent years - in particular on the Northern, Victoria and Jubilee Lines.
If you're talking about CULG, it does get updated - each page has a "last updated" line near the top.

I have a whole load of updates waiting for my new laptop to be sorted out (omit long story about coffee on a DSB service).

LU Signal box codes 31/07/2014 at 11:53 #63355
clive
2736 posts
" said:

But.. There is a mix between original cabin codes and present day codes which isn't immediately clear until you read the small print. There are also a fair number of the codes listed that have either been removed years ago, or codes which have been absorbed into new signalling/upgrade works on tube lines in particular.
One of the reasons the page never got released - I didn't get the information into a form I was happy with.

LU Signal box codes 31/07/2014 at 12:06 #63361
clive
2736 posts
" said:
That's why I was asking it looks like a cut and paste but wanted to know. There are some groups which have lists and the layout seems similar to them also.
I certainly didn't just cut-and-paste from other people's lists. I know I had a number of sources, including a track plan of the entire system that had IMRs marked on it.

LU Signal box codes 31/07/2014 at 12:54 #63366
metcontrol
217 posts
" said:
If you're talking about CULG, it does get updated - each page has a "last updated" line near the top.

I have a whole load of updates waiting for my new laptop to be sorted out (omit long story about coffee on a DSB service).
Yes I was referring to that site, but did also say it was a brief visit and a quick glance to see if I could find the codes HeadController was referring to. On re-visiting I see the update dates.

I did only browse some of the stuff more familiar to me, and noticed a couple of points that seemed out of date. I hope you didn't take offence when I may have made it sound like you hadn't given the site any attention recently.

LU Signal box codes 31/07/2014 at 16:13 #63372
clive
2736 posts
" said:

I did only browse some of the stuff more familiar to me, and noticed a couple of points that seemed out of date. I hope you didn't take offence when I may have made it sound like you hadn't given the site any attention recently.
No problem.

If there are things that you think need updating, please email me directly. But if it's anything subsequent to the "last updated" dates, please wait a week or so for the update.

Last edited: 31/07/2014 at 16:14 by clive
LU Signal box codes 31/07/2014 at 16:30 #63374
HeadController
33 posts
That page never got finished. I'm not sure how you came across it as it isn't linked from anywhere.

Quote:

I came across your page just by entering LT signal box codes in search.

I collected the information from a number of sources. Since I'm not trying to do anything formal, I don't normally keep a record of the sources of each piece of information. In addition, different sources often conflict.

If you know of errors in it I'd be interested.

Quote:

I was wondering re the sources as there are a number on the web, If I find anything I will let you know.
Just wondering where the information came from as there is no mention of source.

Last edited: 31/07/2014 at 16:34 by HeadController
LU Signal box codes 31/07/2014 at 16:37 #63376
HeadController
33 posts
" said:
" said:
I certainly didn't just cut-and-paste from other people's lists. I know I had a number of sources, including a track plan of the entire system that had IMRs marked on it.
I did not say you just cut and paste I said it looked like it had been, hence why I asked about the source from where the codes came from.

The drawing you mention would be CS 2300 which I know has been updated many times.

LU Signal box codes 01/08/2014 at 01:05 #63387
madaboutrains
307 posts
Having been to a number of tube signal boxes I can now confirm that Victoria, Northern Line and Jubilee Line signal numbers (cabin) are now incorrect.

Now in the Highbury area it is VHY and VFP in the finsbury park area.

See: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.311482805695887.1073741836.174945646016271&type=1&l=de5749dfbf

RIP Feltham Panel 1
LU Signal box codes 19/08/2014 at 12:48 #63913
HeadController
33 posts
Clive,

I have sent you two emails.

LU Signal box codes 04/12/2014 at 17:33 #66131
Essexgirl
41 posts
The old 'ghost frame' in the Grange Hill IMR, correctly stated as controlled from Hainault Cabin (LL), did in fact have a display stating that it's code was LK, unfortunately I did not take any pictures of this as it was 25+ years ago when I was 14 doing work experience in Hainault Depot. I remember this as I had just spent a day with the Hainault signalman, and was shown the 'ghost frame' by the local AET (LUL's S+T) staff the following day.
LU Signal box codes 05/12/2014 at 09:45 #66162
HeadController
33 posts
It is such a shame that you did not take a photo and in view of this I have to disagree Grange Hill has never been coded LK this was intended for Chigwell and I know this as I too have been and seen the slave frame and all the photos from LTs to others do not show LK.

Here is a link to one and as can be seen the diagram has not had any alterations the position of the box is shown but there is no code a common practice on LT. https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickstransportpics/15343730929/in/set-72157648336841888

Last edited: 05/12/2014 at 09:46 by HeadController