TRTS vs Off vs Right away

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (signalling) > TRTS vs Off vs Right away

Page 1 of 2

TRTS vs Off vs Right away 20/09/2014 at 23:59 #64663
belly buster
368 posts
Can someone in the know explain the differences between these three terms please.

By "Off" I mean when the platform indicator says Off

TIA!

BB

Last edited: 21/09/2014 at 00:00 by belly buster
TRTS vs Off vs Right away 21/09/2014 at 00:17 #64664
Tempest Malice
122 posts
Off indicators tell platform staff/the guard wether the signal is off (showing any aspect other than danger) or not, and therefore if they can dispatch or not;they are required when the signal is not visible from the platform, often as the train is in the way. (on a relatednote I belive the rules say drivers can only rely on banner repeaters not off repeaters but I might be mistken on that).

Trts is what we get in sims, an indication to the box from a button on the platform that station work is complete and the train will depart immediately the signal is cleared (theoretically anyway though it's not alway used like that, especially in terminus stations under ars where the standard is to press the button anything up to 2 minutes before the train is ready to depart)

Right away is a message to a driver that they can begin moving the train given after the doors have been closed, I belive the 2 buzzercode on the train and ra indicators attached to signals for DOO trains are the two differernt kinds of Right Away message that exist.

The following user said thank you: belly buster
TRTS vs Off vs Right away 21/09/2014 at 00:49 #64665
Muzer
718 posts
Just occurred to me - when I was on Virgin's Pendolino simulator, most of the stations had RA indicators. Is this true to life, and if so, what does the guard actually do at these stations, or is dispatch controlled entirely by platform staff?
Last edited: 21/09/2014 at 00:49 by Muzer
TRTS vs Off vs Right away 21/09/2014 at 03:47 #64666
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
Just occurred to me - when I was on Virgin's Pendolino simulator, most of the stations had RA indicators. Is this true to life, and if so, what does the guard actually do at these stations, or is dispatch controlled entirely by platform staff?
A lot of stations served by Virgin have "RA" indicators (So yes it is true to real life) Class 390s are generally dispatched by the "RA" indicators instead of the drive guard buzzer, Class 221s on the other hand are generally dispatched on the buzzer, I will use Crewe as an example for a class 390 dispatch.

• If the signal is not already OFF the platform staff will press the TRTS plunger.

• Once the signal is OFF and the doors free of obstruction they will raise the white dispatch baton and reinforce with a whistle.

• The guard will then close the train doors.

• Once the dispatcher is happy all the doors are closed, and free of obstructions he will raise the white dispatch baton and reinforce with a whistle.

• The guard if he is happy to depart will then give a green flag to the dispatcher, and then immediately close his "local door".

• Once the dispatcher sees the "local door" close he will then walk and key the RA indicator.

As an aside Birmingham New Street there is a local instruction that all trains will be dispatched by RA indicator, and I believe there is a similar instruction at Manchester Piccadilly.

Berwyn on the Llangollen sim has an RA indicator for use on the down. Generally all loco hauled trains will go off of the RA indicator, DMUs will go on the buzzer.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Last edited: 21/09/2014 at 03:49 by headshot119
TRTS vs Off vs Right away 21/09/2014 at 06:15 #64667
delticfan
476 posts
When I was dispatcher at New St, the TRTS plunger was always used and all trains departed by means of the 'RA' indicator. The rest of our dispatch sequence was as detailed by Headshot. I left some years ago and I assume the procedure is still the same.
TRTS vs Off vs Right away 21/09/2014 at 10:28 #64672
peterb
451 posts
" said:

Trts is what we get in sims, an indication to the box from a button on the platform that station work is complete and the train will depart immediately the signal is cleared (theoretically anyway though it's not alway used like that, especially in terminus stations under ars where the standard is to press the button anything up to 2 minutes before the train is ready to depart)
This is incorrect. TRTS is an indication to the signaller (through platform staff using a plunger) that it is appropriate for the signaller to set the route for the train if it hasn't already been, i.e. the driver and guard are present, and there's no reason why the train wouldn't be able to leave on time. It's not an indication that station work is complete. TRTS could be given around a minute or two prior to the booked departure time of the passenger train for the signaller to set the route, in preparation for the train to be dispatched at the correct time.

In Simsig, it did use to be the case up until recently that the signaller incorrectly received a TRTS notification at the time the train was ready to depart (as in the behaviour you describe), and not in advance of the train's booked departure time.

TRTS vs Off vs Right away 21/09/2014 at 11:33 #64673
Underwood
746 posts
" said:
Class 221s on the other hand are generally dispatched on the buzzer.
Is that because the driver closes the doors I believe? Unsure if the panels by the doors have open/close buttons too or if it's just a local door switch and a buzzer?

Thinking of Class 390's too, does the driver open the doors and the guard shuts them, or am I thinking of some other unit?

TRTS vs Off vs Right away 21/09/2014 at 13:29 #64675
Steamer
3922 posts
" said:
" said:
Is that because the driver closes the doors I believe? Unsure if the panels by the doors have open/close buttons too or if it's just a local door switch and a buzzer?

Thinking of Class 390's too, does the driver open the doors and the guard shuts them, or am I thinking of some other unit?
I think I'm right in saying that the guard can only control their local door on 22x- the driver opens them on arrival and the guard sends 1-2 on the buzzer to tell the driver to close them. Guard then checks that doors shut safely etc., closes local door and sends 2.

Guard definitely shuts on 390s, don't know about opening. I think quite a few TOCs have the driver opening the doors, to prevent delays while the guard finishes selling a ticket and walks to the back.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
TRTS vs Off vs Right away 21/09/2014 at 13:58 #64676
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:

I think I'm right in saying that the guard can only control their local door on 22x- the driver opens them on arrival and the guard sends 1-2 on the buzzer to tell the driver to close them. Guard then checks that doors shut safely etc., closes local door and sends 2.

Guard definitely shuts on 390s, don't know about opening. I think quite a few TOCs have the driver opening the doors, to prevent delays while the guard finishes selling a ticket and walks to the back.
I believe but not 100% sure that the guard has full control over the doors on a 222, but the driver can open the doors.

You are correct that on a 220/221 the guard can only control the local door.

390s are fully guard controlled.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
TRTS vs Off vs Right away 21/09/2014 at 14:54 #64677
TomOF
452 posts
Another reason for having TRTS some time in advance of departure time is so that ARS can make an appropriate priority decision.

Especially important at a place like, say Liverpool Street. If TRTS is only given a few seconds before departure time, ARS by then may have given priority to an incoming train.

TRTS vs Off vs Right away 21/09/2014 at 15:54 #64678
Late Turn
696 posts
Not just ARS either - the same applies to a real signalman, who really needs to know (by the lack of TRTS) a couple of minutes in advance that a train's not going to be ready to depart right time.
TRTS vs Off vs Right away 21/09/2014 at 17:34 #64680
KymriskaDraken
963 posts
" said:
Not just ARS either - the same applies to a real signalman, who really needs to know (by the lack of TRTS) a couple of minutes in advance that a train's not going to be ready to depart right time.
I remember on many occasions being asked to cancel the road at Bristol Temple Meads because the train didn't have a Driver... I soon learned that when working with a certain member of platform staff just to give the train one signal and not commit myself fully until the thing moved.

TRTS vs Off vs Right away 22/09/2014 at 08:18 #64683
Stephen Fulcher
2025 posts
TRTS can be counterproductive if the staff on the ground don't do their job properly before pressing the button, such as the example given above.

Ive also seen Guards walking up to their train five minutes before booked departure and pressing the button on the way past to avoid having to walk back to it, but having never even checked the unit over. Result on more than one occasion was either no Driver or the unit actually defective so signals having to be replaced.

TRTS vs Off vs Right away 22/09/2014 at 20:48 #64685
GW43125
495 posts
" said:
" said:

This is incorrect. TRTS is an indication to the signaller (through platform staff using a plunger) that it is appropriate for the signaller to set the route for the train if it hasn't already been, i.e. the driver and guard are present, and there's no reason why the train wouldn't be able to leave on time. It's not an indication that station work is complete. TRTS could be given around a minute or two prior to the booked departure time of the passenger train for the signaller to set the route, in preparation for the train to be dispatched at the correct time.

In Simsig, it did use to be the case up until recently that the signaller incorrectly received a TRTS notification at the time the train was ready to depart (as in the behaviour you describe), and not in advance of the train's booked departure time.
Just remember that trains cannot begin the dispatch procedure (closing doors, etc. ) until the signal clears, attempting to do so on a red is an operating incident and could see the driver/guard in some hot water! (Even at the miniature railway I work at, attempting to dispatch against a red can see you getting a good talking to!)

Jamie.

TRTS vs Off vs Right away 22/09/2014 at 21:51 #64686
officer dibble
390 posts
Train doors can be closed on a red signal, once a clear understanding is established between the traincrew and platform staff. The closing of train doors does not mean the train will depart. The associated buzzers between on train staff or the appearance of an "RA" is the cue for the train to leave.

I have had to do this on a number of occasions (for varying reasons), but myself and the crew spoke, checked & double checked before performing this action. As long as a clear understanding is reached then its perfectly fine (the rulebook states that a clear understanding MUST be reached before any out of course actions occur).

TRTS vs Off vs Right away 22/09/2014 at 21:53 #64687
JamesN
1575 posts
Completing Platform Duties does not equate to dispatching against a Red - at Paddington to cite one local example to myself they will often lock a train up ready to go while waiting for the road... So long as a clear understanding is reached between dispatcher and guard (driver on DOO services) then all is gravy.

EDIT: The officer beat me to it!

Last edited: 22/09/2014 at 21:53 by JamesN
TRTS vs Off vs Right away 22/09/2014 at 22:05 #64688
Tempest Malice
122 posts
" said:

Just remember that trains cannot begin the dispatch procedure (closing doors, etc. ) until the signal clears, attempting to do so on a red is an operating incident and could see the driver/guard in some hot water! (Even at the miniature railway I work at, attempting to dispatch against a red can see you getting a good talking to!)

Jamie.
Perhaps my wording isn't quite right given I'm not a railway professional and am basing most of my information from youtube videos such as this one however I never said TRTS is given after the doors are shut, just after all passenegers have boarded/alighted and there is no waiting for passengers to be done before closing the doors (atleast thats what I understand by the term station work complete as based on that video and other similar ones. Though given that video is older than me I suppose the railway has changed somewhat in that time and the meaning of certain terms may have changed)

TRTS vs Off vs Right away 22/09/2014 at 22:09 #64689
GeoffM
6282 posts
" said:
all is gravy.
I have learnt a new expression today. :huh:

SimSig Boss
TRTS vs Off vs Right away 23/09/2014 at 05:50 #64690
GW43125
495 posts
Apologies, I'm not a railway professional, I saw the 'giving the right away agains a red is an operating incident' and it would seem I've added 2+2 to be five.

Thanks,
Jamie.

P.S. Geoff join the club!

Last edited: 23/09/2014 at 05:51 by GW43125
Reason: Afterthought

TRTS vs Off vs Right away 23/09/2014 at 13:57 #64694
officer dibble
390 posts
Ah, now that's different.

Giving the "RA" against a red signal is an operational incident, known in the business as a SASSPAD (Starting against signal, signal passed at Danger).

Usually caused when a member of staff is distracted/clock watching and both "tips" are given to the guard or driver (if DOO). Again, first tip to close the doors, whilst frowned upon, is OK as the train hasn't been given clearance to leave. The second tip is a definate no-no & will require a visit from BUPA for a medi-screen & any suitable investigations to be made by the station management team/standards managers.

The only time a second tip may be given against a red is due to an infrastructure failure & authorisation has been given by the controlling signaller. Once again a clear understanding must be met by all parties involved in the dispatch before it can commence (I had to do this a few years back with a RDG-BSK service).

From my experience & having performed tests at the request of the 'box & p-way staff in attendance, and "RA" indication should not appear in a theatre box when a signal is displaying a red aspect, but am sure there are some areas of the country where it may be possible.

TRTS vs Off vs Right away 23/09/2014 at 19:36 #64697
belly buster
368 posts
Thanks for all the replies - I've definitely learned a lot from the thread.

One more question though, why it such bad form to give a right away with the signal still on? Surely the driver at the front of the train has the best view of the signal and wouldn't set off past a red aspect?

TRTS vs Off vs Right away 23/09/2014 at 19:47 #64698
jc92
3629 posts
historically speaking, that hasn't always worked! the idea is the more people who are responsible for ensuring a proceed aspect, the less chance anyone takes anything for granted, or if they do, then someone else will notice and prevent an operating incident. there have been many accidents where a driver has taken the guards signal without checking the actual signal, or the guard has given the right away when the signal has been red (correct in older rulebooks) and the driver has forgotten to check.
"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
TRTS vs Off vs Right away 23/09/2014 at 20:51 #64699
Firefly
521 posts
Quote:
One more question though, why it such bad form to give a right away with the signal still on? Surely the driver at the front of the train has the best view of the signal and wouldn't set off past a red aspect?
There's a phenomena known as "ding-ding and away", it's a learnt reaction that when you hear the ding ding you set off (Pavlos Dog). It's very powerful and drivers can just fail to check the signal.

One mitigation for this threat is stopping the guard from giving the ding-ding if the signal is at red. (That's why we provide Off Indicators)
Another mitigation is the Drivers Reminder Appliance. When a driver enters a platform and the signal is at danger they should switch the DRA on, this illuminates a red reminder light in the cab and prevents the unit from taking power.

FF

Last edited: 23/09/2014 at 20:51 by Firefly
TRTS vs Off vs Right away 24/09/2014 at 09:19 #64704
Signalhunter
177 posts
" said:
Thanks for all the replies - I've definitely learned a lot from the thread.

Do an Internet search for Paisley Gilmour Street railway accident. Read it and you will see.

TRTS vs Off vs Right away 24/09/2014 at 13:12 #64705
maxand
1637 posts
Very interesting thread, thanks.

I see the acronym DOO used here several times. Does this stand for Driver-Only Operation (aka One-man operation (OMO), one person operation (OPO), single person train operation (SPTO) or one-person train operation (OPTO)? (Wikipedia) (Makes mental note to add to Wiki Glossary)

With all the discussion regarding variations across different railway operators in the UK, my next question is, does SimSig handle TRTS and RW (Right-Away) identically in all sims?

Is there a consensus as to how SimSig players should respond to TRTS? The safe answer seems to be not to set a route until receiving a TRTS. Luckily, RA signals do not concern us players - they're between station staff and the driver. I know this topic has been raised before, but I just thought I'd recheck.