Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Moving up to a red signal

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (signalling) > Moving up to a red signal

Page 1 of 1

Moving up to a red signal 31/05/2016 at 13:47 #82790
Splodge
701 posts
A question that I've been wondering about for a little while as it seems to be quite common on some sims; but I've today noticed it on York.

1A65 arrives into platform 11 and moves all the way down to the south end. It turns into 5A65 for the NRM/Refuelling yard. When it calls TRTS, I signal the route, which as it's a subsidiary aspect does not clear until the train is occupying the relevant track circuit. Only when the route is set does the train then move up to the signal for the aspect to clear.

Is this a SimSig 'fudge' to account for verbal instructions from a signaller/station staff member? I can't imagine drivers moving up to stop signals under normal circumstances, especially when there is no indication the route has actually been set.

I've seen similar behaviour on the Wembley sim when shunting locos out - moving only once the route is set despite no indication being provided (unless there is a platform indication which I'm not aware of?).

There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
The following user said thank you: JamesN
Moving up to a red signal 31/05/2016 at 16:18 #82797
Essexgirl
41 posts
" said:
A question that I've been wondering about for a little while as it seems to be quite common on some sims; but I've today noticed it on York.

1A65 arrives into platform 11 and moves all the way down to the south end. It turns into 5A65 for the NRM/Refuelling yard. When it calls TRTS, I signal the route, which as it's a subsidiary aspect does not clear until the train is occupying the relevant track circuit. Only when the route is set does the train then move up to the signal for the aspect to clear.

Is this a SimSig 'fudge' to account for verbal instructions from a signaller/station staff member? I can't imagine drivers moving up to stop signals under normal circumstances, especially when there is no indication the route has actually been set.

I've seen similar behaviour on the Wembley sim when shunting locos out - moving only once the route is set despite no indication being provided (unless there is a platform indication which I'm not aware of?).
In reality the trains which terminate at York and then go to Fuel normally stop at the north end of the platform. They do not TRTS for moves to NRM/Fuel, but will contact the signaller to verbally advise they are ready, and thus also allow any messages to be given, such as "draw down the platform towards signal Y223 and obey the aspect"

The following user said thank you: Splodge
Moving up to a red signal 31/05/2016 at 19:28 #82799
Splodge
701 posts
I see, so it's effectively the SimSig method of 'local instructions'. Thanks for the explanation!
Moving up to a red signal 31/05/2016 at 22:02 #82812
Jamesh1492
23 posts
Frightliner is a NO NO to moving up to a red if we stop short.
Moving up to a red signal 31/05/2016 at 22:26 #82813
Splodge
701 posts
At Metrolink terminus stops which retain block signalling we must not move towards a red in case another vehicle is being brought in on a subsidiary aspect - we actually have warning boards sited on the platform to remind us; if we pass these whilst the signal is on stop then it is still technically a SPAD.

(not my photo)
3017 Altrincham Metrolink 031 by d33206hg, on Flickr

Moving up to a red signal 01/06/2016 at 02:28 #82818
GeoffM
6280 posts
SimSig does "cheat" a little to avoid chicken and egg situations with approach controlled signals. [Side note: I recall somebody telling me a real life driver refused to draw up a little closer to a red signal quite recently so the signal stayed red :doh ]

York is unusual in having split TC platforms where the sub signal will only show proceed once the correct end of the platform is occupied. Most places have a condition on either track occupied for a time.

SimSig Boss
Moving up to a red signal 01/06/2016 at 12:03 #82825
AndyG
1834 posts
" said:
" said:

In reality the trains which terminate at York and then go to Fuel normally stop at the north end of the platform. They do not TRTS for moves to NRM/Fuel, but will contact the signaller to verbally advise they are ready, and thus also allow any messages to be given, such as "draw down the platform towards signal Y223 and obey the aspect"
Similarly at Salisbury, I spoke with the driver of the rear (ECS) portion of a just divided service I'd alighted from.

He had already spoken with the signaller and had permission to move up to the starter signal once the front portion had departed; easy to do on Salisbury P4 as that's where the ASC is located (and closer than any SPT!).

I can only help one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
Moving up to a red signal 01/06/2016 at 12:57 #82827
Giantray
330 posts
I have had several experiences with trains not pulling up to signals that were set for calling on to an occupied platform.

One incident I recall, a 4-car unit had been left on a terminus platform to be joined up to another 6-car unit in the evening peak. So booked trains of 8-car and less were working front train. I signaled this one train into the occupied platform, but the Driver stopped short of the signal and thus the Call On didn't come off. After a minute he put in waiting signal on the CSR. So I contacted him and explained to him that he needed to pull up to the signal for the signal to work. He refused to pull up, stating he was not allowed to move up to a signal at Danger. I told him if he didn't he'd be sitting there all day. He was adamant he was not going to move. So I told him I was authorizing him to pull up to the Danger Signal and obey it, he still refused. I ended the call by telling him I had given him my instructions and to obey them. Five minutes later there was a call from the TOC to my Shift Manager, a discussion ensued, I was not involved. Another ten minutes later the train pulled up to the signal and went on its merry way. Delay went to the TOC.

Trains sitting back from signals is a big problem today. The Railway is actively looking at ways to increase capacity. Us older Signallers know that we used to fit more trains in years ago, then suddenly the TOCs instructed their Drivers to sit back off Signals at Danger, and regulating trains, especially in dense commuter areas became a problem that eventually led to reduction in trains, or increase in pathing times.

Retired Professional Railwayman (1981-2023); Pway & S&T (1981-88); Former Signalman/Signaller/ Signalling Trainer (1989-2023) [AB, TCB, Mechanical, NX, WestCad, Hitachi SARS]; Railway Historian (esp.SER, LCDR); Member of The Permanent Way Institution..