Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Who's Online

Cynx, gcoggans, Jriver, pedroathome, Kage, waucott, LilNetworker, kpl455 (8 users seen recently)

Exploding train capacitors halt Melbourne Metro services

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (anything else rail-oriented) > Exploding train capacitors halt Melbourne Metro services

Page 1 of 1

Exploding train capacitors halt Melbourne Metro services 17/12/2014 at 06:36 #66749
maxand
1637 posts
Quote:
Exploding train motor parts caused by a series of electrical faults have forced Metro to pull three trains off the rails.

The fault is limited to Metro's fleet of Siemens trains that were introduced in 2003. The Siemens trains suffered major brake failures in 2006, when they were also pulled from service for safety reasons after a series of platform overshoots. That problem has since been fixed.

The faults all relate to the trains' static inverter units, which convert DC electricity from the overhead wires into AC power that drives the train motor. Parts of the units called capacitors have been exploding and blowing the covers off the units, which sit beneath the train carriage. Metro has used heavy-duty ties called grunt cargo straps to lash the units onto the undercarriages as a short-term fix.

Metro is also using recycled capacitors to replace faulty components.

An instruction notice written after Tuesday's crisis meeting states: "As we have no capacitors on stock, we are allowed to cannibalise units where the capacitance check reveals a faulty capacitor, but we are not allowed to take any capacitors from a unit which had a reported explosion!"

Public Transport Users Association president Tony Morton said it was surprising that a systematic fault such as this had emerged with trains that still have many years of service to come.
Full article and photo here.

Exploding train capacitors halt Melbourne Metro services 18/12/2014 at 10:45 #66781
outofsection
149 posts
Makes you wonder whether the two recent fires on London trains were caused by a similar problem...
Exploding train capacitors halt Melbourne Metro services 18/12/2014 at 11:53 #66783
TimTamToe
654 posts
" said:
Makes you wonder whether the two recent fires on London trains were caused by a similar problem...
I seem to remember a message on another group saying the recent at Charing Cross was due to this.

Exploding train capacitors halt Melbourne Metro services 18/12/2014 at 19:02 #66801
Steamer
3920 posts
" said:
" said:
I seem to remember a message on another group saying the recent at Charing Cross was due to this.
According to WNXX, the fire at Charing Cross was down to a blown pot (the things that connect the third rail to the sleeper), Denmark Hill was due to damaged shoegear.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Exploding train capacitors halt Melbourne Metro services 18/12/2014 at 20:35 #66811
TimTamToe
654 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:
According to WNXX, the fire at Charing Cross was down to a blown pot (the things that connect the third rail to the sleeper), Denmark Hill was due to damaged shoegear.
Blonde moment responding with wrong message in wrong thread :doh:
I blame it on my underperforming brain function due to lack of alcohol before next week!

Quite right I'd also heard charing cross was blown pot.

Exploding train capacitors halt Melbourne Metro services 19/12/2014 at 14:26 #66837
outofsection
149 posts
It was certainly scary watching the sparks fly from under the train! The trouble is, once an arc starts, it can keep going and jump far greater distances than normal due to the breakdown of the resistance of the surrounding air - especially when high currents are flowing.

See here for a spectacular example of what I mean.

Remember children, always switch off before unplugging!

Last edited: 19/12/2014 at 14:28 by outofsection