Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (anything else rail-oriented) > Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling

Page 1 of 1

Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 24/04/2015 at 11:19 #71414
northroad
870 posts
Just spotted this story on the BBC technology pages. Can someone tell me which line the carriages on the first picture run on and the first one to say metal ones wins the booby prize. B)

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32402481

Last edited: 24/04/2015 at 11:25 by northroad
Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 24/04/2015 at 11:33 #71416
BarryM
2158 posts
" said:
Just spotted this story on the BBC technology pages. Can someone tell me which line the carriages on the first picture run on and the first one to say metal ones wins the booby prize. B)

Possibly USA. The image is in the Thinkstock web site. There appears another photo of this derailment.

Barry

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 24/04/2015 at 12:44 #71420
Jersey_Mike
250 posts
" said:

Whenever I bring up the vulnerabilities associated with having the safety critical processing separated from the physical hardware I'm usually dismissed as alarmist.

" said:

Possibly USA. The image is in the Thinkstock web site. There appears another photo of this derailment.

Barry
Nope...we use standard gauge for one.

Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 24/04/2015 at 13:23 #71423
northroad
870 posts
The article is about re-signalling and the dangers of hacking in the UK but I am darned if I know what the top picture is doing supposed to be representing the UK.

Press getting things wrong yet again......

Last edited: 24/04/2015 at 13:23 by northroad
Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 24/04/2015 at 15:05 #71424
Soton_Speed
282 posts
" said:
Prof Stupples said he was working with Cranfield University to develop a security system that would tell when a train or other mode of transport was acting oddly.
Please send more funds to help me find a problem for my solution...

The Great Train robbery signals were totally hacker proof!

In Zone 6, no one can hear you scream...
The following user said thank you: Forest Pines
Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 24/04/2015 at 23:04 #71435
Muzer
718 posts
" said:
" said:

Whenever I bring up the vulnerabilities associated with having the safety critical processing separated from the physical hardware I'm usually dismissed as alarmist.
It's because in the past, correct me if I'm wrong, you've always talked about it wrt solid state (computer) interlocking, which (I would say) is probably significantly more secure than ETCS, which will potentially have many more attack vectors and entry points.

Interestingly, it sounds to me from that like the researcher was takling about attacking the embedded software on the train itself. I wonder how feasible that would be ­— what does ETCS software run on?

Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 24/04/2015 at 23:22 #71436
GeoffM
6282 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:

It's because in the past, correct me if I'm wrong, you've always talked about it wrt solid state (computer) interlocking, which (I would say) is probably significantly more secure than ETCS, which will potentially have many more attack vectors and entry points.
It's simpler than that: Mike seems to have a very warped view of UK rail which bears little resemblance to the real world. He has been asked to substantiate his comments on numerous occasions and each time is unable to do so. Why? Because those statements aren't true and therefore cannot be substantiated.

" said:
Interestingly, it sounds to me from that like the researcher was takling about attacking the embedded software on the train itself. I wonder how feasible that would be ­— what does ETCS software run on?
I can't remember specifics - spent a couple of days poring over the Cambrian line signalling and trains - but the 158s had a standard 6' cubicle with rack mount microprocessors cards and suchlike wedged into the 158s. Put it this way, they certainly don't run Windows with Internet Explorer!

Hackable? You could probably interfere and start pulling things out once past the locked door, maybe insert new cards to "take over" the train. But don't you think the driver and/or passengers may have noticed something amiss - like alarms going off, train coming to a stand because the integrity has been breached and vital stuff missing, trivial stuff like that. After all, we're not in a movie are we......

SimSig Boss
The following user said thank you: andyb0607
Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 24/04/2015 at 23:33 #71437
kaiwhara
584 posts
" said:
Hackable? You could probably interfere and start pulling things out once past the locked door, maybe insert new cards to "take over" the train. But don't you think the driver and/or passengers may have noticed something amiss - like alarms going off, train coming to a stand because the integrity has been breached and vital stuff missing, trivial stuff like that. After all, we're not in a movie are we...... :laugh:
Our new Electric Units in Auckland, New Zealand that I drive are fitted with ETCS Level 1 supplied by Siemens. I have had an integrity error come up on ETCS, and I can assure you, you get brought to a stand very rapidly. You can't miss it!

Sorry guys, I am in the business of making people wait!
The following user said thank you: GeoffM
Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 24/04/2015 at 23:56 #71439
pbinnersley
431 posts
The rolling stock looks very similar to this photo on Wikipedia of a Japanese DMU in Thailand, even down to the location of the carriage number.

Peter.

Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 25/04/2015 at 02:58 #71440
Hawk777
386 posts
The “rogue employee” thing seems pretty far-fetched as a new attack vector introduced by a centralized signalling system, IMO. Surely a rogue employee in the signal box would have had a much easier time forty years ago just showing up to work in a signal box alone, walking downstairs with a screwdriver, taking a few bits and pieces out of the bottom of the lever frame, and then routing and signalling one train at full speed straight head-on towards another? Sounds much harder to do when the people are centralized into a big building with lots of other people around who are, even if not explicitly told to be, on the lookout for particularly unusual behaviour.
Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 25/04/2015 at 15:59 #71443
kbarber
1712 posts
" said:
The “rogue employee” thing seems pretty far-fetched as a new attack vector introduced by a centralized signalling system, IMO. Surely a rogue employee in the signal box would have had a much easier time forty years ago just showing up to work in a signal box alone, walking downstairs with a screwdriver, taking a few bits and pieces out of the bottom of the lever frame, and then routing and signalling one train at full speed straight head-on towards another? Sounds much harder to do when the people are centralized into a big building with lots of other people around who are, even if not explicitly told to be, on the lookout for particularly unusual behaviour.

With certain styles of lock as fitted to certain types of frame it could be even easier than that. Most boxes on the Great Northern main line had an object secreted about the place for the specific purpose of releasing electric locks if you'd got yourself boxed up in some way. At the risk of saying too much about how it could be done, the report into the Connington South derailment of 1967 http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Connington1967.pdf gives a good description. (There is a belief among some old-time staff that the signalman there was trying to see if he could get the points over & back again between the bogies of the train.) Modern systems, of course, record everything that happens so the mystery Lt Col McNaughton encountered at Connington would be pretty-much cleared up by the time RAIB got to the scene. Not what you want if you're trying to cause that sort of foul-up.

The following user said thank you: belly buster
Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 26/04/2015 at 07:15 #71453
Haraubrad
103 posts
I can remember the signalbox at Haddenham had a time out on the approach to the up home signal which also turned into the platform loop. The signlamen had found a way of over riding the timer and one night having cleared all signals main line including distant signal he decided to put them back and turn the Woodford - High Wycombe goods into the platform to allow another faster train to overtake. Unfortunately the train had already passed the distant and as the view of the home signal was obstructed by a bridge on approach the driver was unable to stop at the platform starter and nearly knocked the stop blocks down at the end of the head shunt. A lot of strong language ensued.
Aubrey

Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 26/04/2015 at 23:19 #71467
Muzer
718 posts
" said:
" said:

With certain styles of lock as fitted to certain types of frame it could be even easier than that. Most boxes on the Great Northern main line had an object secreted about the place for the specific purpose of releasing electric locks if you'd got yourself boxed up in some way. At the risk of saying too much about how it could be done, the report into the Connington South derailment of 1967 http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Connington1967.pdf gives a good description. (There is a belief among some old-time staff that the signalman there was trying to see if he could get the points over & back again between the bogies of the train.) Modern systems, of course, record everything that happens so the mystery Lt Col McNaughton encountered at Connington would be pretty-much cleared up by the time RAIB got to the scene. Not what you want if you're trying to cause that sort of foul-up.
I'm getting Deja Vu with that report for Connington, but rather odd since the details seem different. Was there another similar incident at a different time, perhaps, where there was an accident caused by a signaller overriding the interlocking, or am I thinking of something else? I have a feeling the other one I'm thinking of was more of a dodgy shortcut that went wrong than what, in this instance, appears to be a crazy guy.

EDIT: Ah, just found it, Audenshaw Junction.

Last edited: 26/04/2015 at 23:19 by Muzer
Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 26/04/2015 at 23:38 #71468
RainbowNines
272 posts
There are a few reports around the 50s and 60s where the investigator is quite clearly beside himself with rage, but remains reserved as he must, because of deliberate irregularities with the signal working.

Colonel McMullen is a case in point. They make for fascinating reading.

Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 06/05/2015 at 13:18 #71792
clive
2738 posts
" said:
There are a few reports around the 50s and 60s where the investigator is quite clearly beside himself with rage, but remains reserved as he must, because of deliberate irregularities with the signal working.

Are there particular reports you have in mind?

Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 06/05/2015 at 15:12 #71801
Jersey_Mike
250 posts
A co-worker of an Amtrak tower operator I know had a signal maintainer's key and knew how to open up the US&S Model 14 interlocking machines and disable the time/approach locking. He would do this occasionally when he made a mistake and didn't want to delay the train waiting for the timer to run down.
Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 06/05/2015 at 15:35 #71805
Muzer
718 posts
That's pretty bad. I hope they've improved security since then.
Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 06/05/2015 at 16:22 #71816
Firefly
521 posts
Quote:
That's pretty bad. I hope they've improved security since then.
It really depends on the age of the equipment. I don't see how you can prevent it on old equipment. I bet there are hundreds of signallers in the UK that have a 221 or a Grandmaster. In many signalling centres you wouldn't need a key as the signaller controls the access so that contractors can be let in. You need the technicians to have access so it needs to be a common key, if someone gives a key to a signaller then there's nothing you can do to stop it.

There's not too much damage to be done on modern CBI's. (apart from completely shutting them down). You couldn't cause a wrong side failure as such. About the worst thing you could do is give a premature release of approach locking by logging in and walking a train through on the technicians terminal. The chances are by the time the signaller managed that the approach locking would have timed out anyway. There would also be a paper trail so it would be very career limiting!

FF

Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 06/05/2015 at 22:42 #71855
RainbowNines
272 posts
" said:
" said:

Are there particular reports you have in mind?
Argh you've put me on the spot there. I've read so many now. Let me go through a few again and I will come back to you.

Edit: not an amazing example but Brigadier Langley does NOT take well to the signalman in this case (and I would posit for very good reason!)

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Whitehouse1950.pdf

Last edited: 06/05/2015 at 23:23 by RainbowNines
Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 07/05/2015 at 08:34 #71874
kbarber
1712 posts
" said:
A co-worker of an Amtrak tower operator I know had a signal maintainer's key and knew how to open up the US&S Model 14 interlocking machines and disable the time/approach locking. He would do this occasionally when he made a mistake and didn't want to delay the train waiting for the timer to run down.

A slightly different case but...

The Style L (miniature lever) frames between Clapham Junction and Purley all had some kind of approach locking on the signals, but no timeout. Once you'd pulled the lever and the signal cleared you were (ahem) somewhat up the creek. But there was specific authority for the S&T technicians to release the lever backlock on the signalman's verbal request. The one time I saw it done (Clapham B one afternoon) it took a good deal less than 2 minutes to whistle up the lineman from his cozy little den under the box, get the cover off the locks and give the release.

Ageing rolling stock and new sinalling 07/05/2015 at 08:43 #71875
kaiwhara
584 posts
" said:
" said:

A slightly different case but...

The Style L (miniature lever) frames between Clapham Junction and Purley all had some kind of approach locking on the signals, but no timeout. Once you'd pulled the lever and the signal cleared you were (ahem) somewhat up the creek. But there was specific authority for the S&T technicians to release the lever backlock on the signalman's verbal request. The one time I saw it done (Clapham B one afternoon) it took a good deal less than 2 minutes to whistle up the lineman from his cozy little den under the box, get the cover off the locks and give the release.
Umm, yep, I have first hand experience of Approach Locking with a Westinghouse L Frame. When working Otahuhu Signal Box, I once had a train breakdown at Middlemore in Auckland New Zealand. Middlemore was just short of the last intermediate signal before my Up Home. I had pulled the Up Home off for this train to come through, but as this train was communicating about this breakdown to Train Control, I sat there wondering why this damn train wasn't moving.

When I got the call from Train Control to say this train was disabled, I *may* have said a few choice words, when I advised him that I had effectively routelocked the entire south end of Otahuhu bar one set of points, as I could throw the Home Stick back to the B Check Lock position, but I couldn't get the Time Delay to start!

After waiting an hour for S&T to turn up, with no trains able to move anywhere, I ended up getting a down passenger train to pick me up (I had run this through the Network Controller first so he knew what I was doing), take me down to the Home Stick. The driver looked a bit bemused when I joined him in the cab carrying a Brake Hose Spanner in one hand and a Vacuum Cleaner Hose Pipe in the other. All was revealed when he dropped me off, when I shoved the handle of the Brake Hose Spanner inside the Vacuum Cleaner Hosepipe, and dropped the track out with it! Bingo, Interlocking released when I walked back to the box!

I kept a set of car jumper leads in my locker after this incident for exactly this reason, and it saved my arse more than once!

Diagram for clarity. 63 was the Up Home...
[attachment=3186]01664Otahuhu-Westfield2960.pdf[/attachment]

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Sorry guys, I am in the business of making people wait!
The following user said thank you: kbarber