Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

King's Cross Empties

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (anything else rail-oriented) > King's Cross Empties

Page 1 of 1

King's Cross Empties 02/05/2016 at 23:25 #82114
2W34
58 posts
While playing the King's Cross sim, I began to wonder about what happens with the overnight Virgin "shunts" to Bounds Green.

Obviously the trains take the slow lines down to Bounds Green, but I noticed they usually stop for a prolonged period of time close to Alexandra Palace Station (I forget the name of the line but i'm sure there's a slot for it). Whenever I have travelled to London I have notice a sort of "servicing" platform in that area. Does some kind of servicing happen to Virgin trains at this location? I wondered whether that was the reason for such long dwell times, or are they simply waiting for a path onto Bounds Green?

Thanks

King's Cross Empties 03/05/2016 at 00:18 #82115
postal
5190 posts
" said:
While playing the King's Cross sim, I began to wonder about what happens with the overnight Virgin "shunts" to Bounds Green.

Obviously the trains take the slow lines down to Bounds Green, but I noticed they usually stop for a prolonged period of time close to Alexandra Palace Station (I forget the name of the line but i'm sure there's a slot for it). Whenever I have travelled to London I have notice a sort of "servicing" platform in that area. Does some kind of servicing happen to Virgin trains at this location? I wondered whether that was the reason for such long dwell times, or are they simply waiting for a path onto Bounds Green?

Thanks
Is that where the Carriage Washer is situated?

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
King's Cross Empties 03/05/2016 at 00:41 #82116
2W34
58 posts
Hi postal, indeed it is yeah.
King's Cross Empties 03/05/2016 at 05:39 #82117
Giantray
330 posts
I thought it was where East Coast ( sorry Virgin)Trains have their toilets emptied, the reason why they stable there for a lengthy period. There are hoses at carriage length intervals Alexandra Palace Station end. Also sure there is a Thames Water Authority Sewerage plant London End of the area. I think there is a carriage wash plant at the London End of the line too.
Retired Professional Railwayman (1981-2023); Pway & S&T (1981-88); Former Signalman/Signaller/ Signalling Trainer (1989-2023) [AB, TCB, Mechanical, NX, WestCad, Hitachi SARS]; Railway Historian (esp.SER, LCDR); Member of The Permanent Way Institution..
Last edited: 03/05/2016 at 05:41 by Giantray
The following user said thank you: 2W34
King's Cross Empties 03/05/2016 at 08:24 #82118
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
http://binged.it/1W5G8uE
I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
The following users said thank you: MJD, 2W34