Channel Tunnel freight trains

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (anything else rail-oriented) > Channel Tunnel freight trains

Page 1 of 1

Channel Tunnel freight trains 03/05/2016 at 18:56 #82119
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
Does anyone have any information on the freight trains that use the tunnel (not the lorry shuttle).

RTT shows there are a few trains most days from Calais to Dollands Moor and there are trains from Dollands Moor onwards, but it's not clear if the former is some sort of shuttle separate from the onward trains, or whether the onward trains are those that came through the tunnel.

CTRL is built to European loading gauge, to where can freight trains of that gauge get to in the UK? Or are (some) of the tunnel trains operated with UK loading gauge waggons?

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Channel Tunnel freight trains 03/05/2016 at 19:09 #82120
headshot119
4869 posts
Some of the trains that run through use wagons which fit the UK loading gauge. There was an article in Railways Illustrated a year or so ago when one of there editors accompanied such a train from France to it's UK destination.
"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Channel Tunnel freight trains 03/05/2016 at 19:14 #82121
Steamer
3922 posts
" said:
CTRL is built to European loading gauge, to where can freight trains of that gauge get to in the UK?
As far as I know, only HS1 is built to European loading gauge.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Last edited: 03/05/2016 at 19:15 by Steamer
Channel Tunnel freight trains 03/05/2016 at 19:16 #82122
Sacro
1171 posts
There's no such thing as "UK loading gauge" (even excluding the Northern Ireland railways), most stock is only gauge cleared for the lines it's due to run on.

Wikipedia has a basic run-down of the different gauges.
Network Rail Strategic Business plans have maps showing the different gauges, probably not as accurate as they could be, I'm sure some could be issued with the open data if pushed, it is (apparently) in the National Electronic Sectional Appendix.

As far as I am aware, the freight from the CTRL has a loco change at Dollands Moor, given the differing signalling systems and power feeds. NR states UIC GB+ for CTRL, Wikipedia states UIC GC, unsure who is right.

Channel Tunnel freight trains 03/05/2016 at 19:19 #82123
Sacro
1171 posts
" said:
" said:
CTRL is built to European loading gauge, to where can freight trains of that gauge get to in the UK?
Currently yes, however reading the CP5 documents it appears there's plans to expand some of the Western region to W10/W12 for trains from the CTRL.

"W10/W12 gauge clearance works Didcot – Bristol (Severn Tunnel); Reading – Acton
(staged completion 2016-2017) "

Channel Tunnel freight trains 03/05/2016 at 19:25 #82124
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
There's no such thing as "UK loading gauge" (even excluding the Northern Ireland railways), most stock is only gauge cleared for the lines it's due to run on.

Network Rail Strategic Business plans have maps showing the different gauges, probably not as accurate as they could be, I'm sure some could be issued with the open data if pushed, it is (apparently) in the National Electronic Sectional Appendix.

As far as I am aware, the freight from the CTRL has a loco change at Dollands Moor, given the differing signalling systems and power feeds. NR states UIC GB+ for CTRL, Wikipedia states UIC GC, unsure who is right.
I thought some of it came through hauled by Class 92s therefore not requiring a loco change?

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Channel Tunnel freight trains 03/05/2016 at 19:37 #82125
Sacro
1171 posts
" said:
" said:

I thought some of it came through hauled by Class 92s therefore not requiring a loco change?
Not sure they have KVB equipment fitted, therefore can't go into France (or St Pancras). I suspect they only go as far as Calais and then return.

Channel Tunnel freight trains 03/05/2016 at 21:28 #82130
Noisynoel
989 posts
90% of the traffic through the Channel Tunnel is moved onwards from Dollands Moor by DB Cargo and have a loco change either 92 t 92 or 92 to 66, at Dollands Moor. All the 92's are configured for operation on both NR & CTRL, however they usually keep them separate. The GB journey however I believe (and I will confirm when I'm back at work next week) is hauled by the same 92 throughout.
Noisynoel
Channel Tunnel freight trains 04/05/2016 at 09:52 #82139
Jan
889 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:
Currently yes, however reading the CP5 documents it appears there's plans to expand some of the Western region to W10/W12 for trains from the CTRL.

"W10/W12 gauge clearance works Didcot – Bristol (Severn Tunnel); Reading – Acton
(staged completion 2016-2017) "
That's not the same as full European loading gauge, though - compared to the continent, the lower half of the loading gauge will still be restricted because of platforms etc.

Two million people attempt to use Birmingham's magnificent rail network every year, with just over a million of them managing to get further than Smethwick.