Not connecting

You are here: Home > Forum > Hosting and Events > Hosting General Topics > Not connecting

Page 1 of 1

Not connecting 20/08/2014 at 18:16 #63947
43009thomas
11 posts
hello there I was going to a multi player in Swindon A & B in the loader with my mate and for some reason it is not working it worked before the loader update,

this was in the shout box and i have checked my ip address and port and it is a success that i can be accessed but my friend cannot access but he is doing the same of what he normal would do any help?

Not connecting 20/08/2014 at 20:17 #63949
belly buster
368 posts
What IP address are you testing? If you don't want to post the full IP address, just give the first half.
Not connecting 20/08/2014 at 20:28 #63950
Lardybiker
771 posts
This is what you need to do to host a multi-play session over the internet....

1) IP setup - while you can use a dynamic IP address for your PC, doing so means you run the risk of it changing (hence why it's called dynamic). In order to ensure things work correctly over long periods, it is best for a server of any kind to use static IP as then its always going to be the same no matter what. It may be possible, depending on the capabilities of your router, to leave your PC as a dynamic address but setup the router so that it always gives your PC the same IP address. However, you'd need to know how to setup your router to do this. If you can't do that or don't know how to, the next best thing is to set the IP address of your PC manually to a static IP.

2) Setup port forwarding - Your router needs to be setup to allow traffic it would normally block to gain access to your PC. The port forwarding rules need to be set so that the messages are directed to your PC. That means you need to make sure that the port forwarding rules use the right ports, both the incoming side of the router and which port it uses on your PC, and that it directs it to the IP address your PC is currently using. If this is set incorrectly, packets will not reach your PC and you won't be able to establish a connection.

If you have more than one "device" such as a router or firewall in your system between your PC and the internet, port forwarding would need to be set up on each one.

3) Firewall/Internet Security software. You may need to alter the settings of the security software on your machine to allow the packets to get to the SimSig application. If you can't find out how to do that or it's simply not possible, you may want to disable the application while you play SimSig......but don't forget to re-enable them once you are done.

4) Server setup - You must setup the game as a server. If it's not then no-one will be able to connect. You and your friend also should make sure you are running the same version of sim. If the sim is a loader sim, not only do the sims versions need to match but the the loader versions also need to match as well. You also cannot connect a non-loader sim to a lodaer sim or vice versa.

5) Server info for your friend - The information you need to provide to your friend to connect is the version of loader you are using, the version of sim, and the IP address of your internet facing device and the port and port number to use. Note, I said IP of your internet facing device...This is not the IP address of your PC but the last device on your network data passes though to get to the internet. Usually this will be the IP address of the WAN side of your router but it may not be depending on how your network is structured. If the IP address you think you should use begins with 10.x.x.x of 192.168.x.x then that's wrong and won't work as these IP addresses in those ranges are for internal networks only and likely to be the IP of your a device on your network, most likely, your own PC.

If that's all setup correctly, you should be able to establish a connection and off you go.

Hope that helps.