Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Free Simsig Server for all

You are here: Home > Forum > Hosting and Events > Hosting General Topics > Free Simsig Server for all

Page 1 of 1

Free Simsig Server for all 07/09/2015 at 18:45 #75695
arabianights
138 posts
I have created a Simsig server hosted on Amazon EC2.

Why?

Two reasons - firstly, there are many participants in multiplayer games who are unable to host for various reasons, either because they lack the technological acumen or because of limitations with their internet connection. Secondly, even for those who can host from home, until now it has not been practicable to "share the load" of hosting a game. By having a server that anyone can connect to, the game's host can change mid session with no hassle, so potentially extremely long sessions are now practical without unreasonable commitments. There is now no longer any excuse not to host! Furthermore, hosts with flakey internet connections should now be a thing of the past - the sim may be "rudderless" for a while but Amazon's internet connection isn't going down... and someone else can take over if the host completely disappears.

How do I use it?

As a player: There is no difference, except that I would prefer that instead of the IP address being used hosts encourage players to use SimSigserver.ddns.net mainly because the IP address is not guaranteed but the ddns address should stay constant.

As a host: You can log on to it using Remote Desktop Connection. The username is SimSig - for the password, see below. If you want to use multiple monitors then this is possible - follow the instructions under "Configuring a multiple-monitors connection" here. Run Simsig in the normal way - you may need to install the version of Simsig you wish to host as there is not much on it yet, but I am hoping to get everything in the current Simsig library installed fairly shortly.

Of course, the current library is not everything Simsig, and save games and time tables need to be able to find their way onto the server. I have therefore also installed a Seafile server on it. You can either download the Seafile client here and set the server to http://SimSigserver.ddns.net:8000/ or you can visit that directly in your webbrowser where there is an easy to use interface. The username is SimSig@user.co.uk along with the password. The advantage of using the client is that it will create a virtual disk that you can see on your computer- much as there is one on the server visible on the desktop. You will have to read the manual to understand the latter, but brief instructions on the web interface - login, then click Simsig, then click upload. Upload the file, and then in the server open up the directory on the desktop called "Files go here!" and you files will be there. It's that simple.

I hope that Simsig will grant licences to the server for every payware product but have had no indication of this yet - it's early days. Certainly for the time being if you wish to host a payware sim then you will have to grant your own licence to the server temporarily and therefore play using it, which is not at all a problem if you have a reasonable internet connection.

Ok - so the password (singular at the moment but this may change over time), how to get? Initially me, CTCThiago, Gonzo75, and tjfrancis have the password, not for any paticular reason but because they were there when I decided to do it as an idea. My criteria for giving out the password is quite simple - you need to be "known". So at least 20 posts in the forum or have participated in a couple of games at least with me. And I also authorise anyone with the password to give it out on that basis. So just ask someone who you know has the password who can vouch for you.

Obviously there are real potential security issues here, and perhaps I am naive in hoping everyone will not abuse this. But for now there is full administrator access and we'll deal with any problems if they arise, but obviously don't store your credit card information or passwords on it and if you are extra cautious (in fact certain members have been taught to be cautious I hear...) do not login to the SimSig website on the server to download other SimSigs - instead download them onto your computer and upload them using seafile.

Please note - due to the firewalling, the game(s) must be hosted on ports 50505 through 50515.

Would also like to hear from volunteers with Windows sysadmin experience who would like to help me configure it better...

Last edited: 07/09/2015 at 18:57 by arabianights
The following users said thank you: HST125Scorton, Trainfan344, WinsfordSaltMine, tjfrancis, belly buster, MJD, scottlowes
Free Simsig Server for all 07/09/2015 at 19:56 #75702
WinsfordSaltMine
124 posts
This sounds like a really good idea lol, as I lack the technical knowledge to set up my ports correctly, but I would need this explaining too lol. As I have always wanted to host but never been able too, so this sounds like I finally can
Last edited: 07/09/2015 at 19:58 by WinsfordSaltMine
Free Simsig Server for all 07/09/2015 at 20:35 #75704
slatteryc
248 posts
I posted that I'd done this here in Jan2013 never got any interest
Free Simsig Server for all 07/09/2015 at 21:07 #75706
arabianights
138 posts
For extra simplicity - see this file. On most systems you should be able to download it and double click it, then enter username SimSig and the given password.
Free Simsig Server for all 07/09/2015 at 22:27 #75708
WinsfordSaltMine
124 posts
I wasn't a Simsigger then
Free Simsig Server for all 08/09/2015 at 17:16 #75723
JamesN
1574 posts
" said:
I hope that Simsig will grant licences to the server for every payware product but have had no indication of this yet - it's early days.
And then no-one will buy any new sims because they can just play it for free on the server... Yeah I can see that happening... :doh :doh

Free Simsig Server for all 08/09/2015 at 17:56 #75724
Danny252
1461 posts
If they aren't given for free, a few people can all chip in to buy a sim or two each, assign the licenses to the server, and do the same anyway!

(Although it would seem a rather silly thing to do, given that there's only one mouse pointer to be controlled by everyone connecting...)

Last edited: 08/09/2015 at 18:01 by Danny252
Free Simsig Server for all 08/09/2015 at 18:18 #75725
arabianights
138 posts
" said:
" said:
I hope that Simsig will grant licences to the server for every payware product but have had no indication of this yet - it's early days.
And then no-one will buy any new sims because they can just play it for free on the server... Yeah I can see that happening... :doh :doh
While I admire your cynicism this line of thinking has been shown time and time again not to stand up to scrutiny. What actually happens is people who would have bought it will buy it anyway, while a small number of those who jump through all the hoops to abuse it turn out to like it enough to buy it.

That's if any abuse happens. I'm pretty confident it won't. And granting of licenses to the server would be a long way in the future anyway, it's a no go for now.

Free Simsig Server for all 08/09/2015 at 20:24 #75728
Forest Pines
525 posts
What happens when more than one person wants to host at the same time? Fight?
Free Simsig Server for all 08/09/2015 at 20:40 #75729
arabianights
138 posts
If demands suits then we can set up multiple user accounts to allow that.

I'm assuming there that there is no technical reason more than one instance of SimSig cannot run at the same time. I'm not aware of any but there might be....

This is an experiment and I have no doubt that there will be many "disappointments" before everything is worked out, I'd rather it was a little chaotic and we experiment a good bit to see what works and what doesn't.

Last edited: 08/09/2015 at 20:44 by arabianights
Free Simsig Server for all 10/09/2015 at 19:44 #75791
LucasLCC
94 posts
" said:
If demands suits then we can set up multiple user accounts to allow that.

I'm assuming there that there is no technical reason more than one instance of SimSig cannot run at the same time. I'm not aware of any but there might be....

This is an experiment and I have no doubt that there will be many "disappointments" before everything is worked out, I'd rather it was a little chaotic and we experiment a good bit to see what works and what doesn't.
I'd guess you could have as many sims as you have ports...

Free Simsig Server for all 11/09/2015 at 05:48 #75805
jem771
102 posts
I can help with the tech stuff if need be, ex railway now Microsoft server and network engineer !
drop me a line at jem@jcs.gb.com if you want to chat
I toyed with doing that myself but never got past the testing stage, be interesting to see what the capabilities are....

Jezz
Last edited: 11/09/2015 at 05:50 by jem771
Free Simsig Server for all 13/09/2015 at 19:15 #75878
MJD
149 posts
Have set up on the server with freeware and payware.
Aston & West Hampstead
Payware just needs you to place licence in the manager for it to run.
You must remember to remove the licence when finished.

Will try and host a payware tomorrow for a test.

Mike.

Mike.
Free Simsig Server for all 14/09/2015 at 07:55 #75884
Andrew G
548 posts
" said:
Aston & West Hampstead

Mike.
Interested to know whether Clients without a license can join a hosted session (where Host has assigned their license to the server) or whether all participants require their own license?

If it is the former then I think there will be an impact on sales revenue for payware simulations. While this can be argued in a number of ways:

1. Having an extended opportunity to participate in a multi-play sessions on payware might lead to users buying their own license.
2. Some users might see no point in buying a license if a simulation they like is hosted on a regular basis via this new server arrangement.
3. Groups of friends might purchase one license each for different payware simulations and then host their own group sessions.

If I was a cynic I might see this new server as a bit of a trojan horse to try and open up payware to the whole community.

Free Simsig Server for all 14/09/2015 at 15:49 #75895
GeoffM
6281 posts
" said:
" said:
Aston & West Hampstead

Mike.
Interested to know whether Clients without a license can join a hosted session (where Host has assigned their license to the server) or whether all participants require their own license?
Everybody still needs their own license. The only difference is that the host is remotely accessing a PC in order to host a game, rather than hosting on their own PC.

SimSig Boss
The following users said thank you: Andrew G, Trainfan344
Free Simsig Server for all 17/10/2015 at 22:38 #76999
arabianights
138 posts
In the middle of a couple of changes to the server to make it usable by more than one session and add individual accounts for anyone who wants to use it, but for the moment I have made the following change:

1. If you are the first person to logon to the server (i.e. no one is currently logged on) then great, you get the "shared" SimSig user session
2. If someone else is logged on already, then you will get a new session now rather than chucking the other person off. No current easy to explain way you can communicate with them though, so check the hosting forum to make sure you are not wanting to host a game on the same ports! 50505 through to 50515 are available, plenty o choice...
3. Therefore if you are logged on with someone else logged on and get chucked off you are in a bit of a pickle as when you now login again you will get a new session. It is possible to join your old session however, but tbh I have not got time to explain how to do it, but what I will do is link you to a stackexchange post from which you should be able to work it out. Again, this is only an issue if there is more than one session ongoing at any one time: http://serverfault.com/questions/502494/connecting-to-specific-session-using-remote-desktop
4. A fairly temporary position though as I say, because I am going to add user accounts fairly shortly to it. Although I would point out there's actually nothing stopping you from creating a user account for yourself now and if you use the server regularly I would encourage it.

Last edited: 17/10/2015 at 22:39 by arabianights
Free Simsig Server for all 18/10/2015 at 07:43 #77003
Sidestick Priority
39 posts
Interesting concept.

Forgive me if this is obvious to everyone else, but does this mean that person A can start a multiplayer session, only to have someone else take over the host, or even pausing the sim and inviting anyone else to pick up the same session at a later stage?

Could be good for running through entire timetables in one MP session.

Free Simsig Server for all 18/10/2015 at 12:35 #77008
arabianights
138 posts
" said:
I can help with the tech stuff if need be, ex railway now Microsoft server and network engineer !
drop me a line at jem@jcs.gb.com if you want to chat
I toyed with doing that myself but never got past the testing stage, be interesting to see what the capabilities are....
Just wondering if you got my email?

Free Simsig Server for all 18/10/2015 at 12:36 #77009
arabianights
138 posts
" said:
Interesting concept.

Forgive me if this is obvious to everyone else, but does this mean that person A can start a multiplayer session, only to have someone else take over the host, or even pausing the sim and inviting anyone else to pick up the same session at a later stage?

Could be good for running through entire timetables in one MP session.
Yes this would be possible, it's one of the main potential benefits imo.

The following user said thank you: Sidestick Priority
Free Simsig Server for all 11/02/2016 at 21:23 #80594
arabianights
138 posts
I have now installed and configured an ssh host on the server, you can connect to it on port 50515 using the same details as for the server in general

What's that mean in practice?

It means that there is another use for the server - if you want to host a game on your local machine but for whatever reason are not able to get a port forwarded to it in a conventional manner, you can tunnel using an ssh client.

I will write a very easy to follow guide on how to do this on a windows PC using SuperPutty in the next fortnight if I have to, but hopefully someone else will do it first...

There is now no valid excuse for not hosting

Free Simsig Server for all 20/09/2016 at 05:42 #85147
scottlowes
22 posts
Is the server still up and running?