Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Patchway- Bristol Parkway bi-directional signalling

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Bristol > Patchway- Bristol Parkway bi-directional signalling

Page 1 of 1

Patchway- Bristol Parkway bi-directional signalling 24/11/2014 at 17:31 #65763
Steamer
3920 posts
On a recent trip past Patchway, I noticed a couple of signals applying to the 'wrong line' in the Patchway area. The fronts were covered and they looked like they'd been out of use for a while. Does anyone know when the were in use, and how far the bi-di extended? The Bristol sim doesn't show them in either era. This picture illustrates one of them, which is on the Down Tunnel just to the east of Patchway.
"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Last edited: 24/11/2014 at 17:32 by Steamer
Patchway- Bristol Parkway bi-directional signalling 24/11/2014 at 18:46 #65764
GeoffM
6280 posts
I don't believe they were ever commissioned. I recall a discussion about this in the past, but can't recall whether it was this forum or somewhere else.
SimSig Boss
The following user said thank you: Steamer
Patchway- Bristol Parkway bi-directional signalling 24/11/2014 at 18:46 #65765
KymriskaDraken
963 posts
I don't think they have ever been in use. They were in position when I was in the Panel in the early 1990s and hadn't been used up to then, as far as I am aware.
The following user said thank you: Steamer
Patchway- Bristol Parkway bi-directional signalling 21/05/2015 at 09:18 #72550
Steamer
3920 posts
Mega-bump:

By coincidence these have been briefly mentioned on another forum. It turns out that the SIMBIDS seen elsewhere on Bristol panel was intended to continue beyond its present limits, however ASLEF started asking uncomfortable questions about the speed at which trains using it would be expected to travel without AWS (not provided for wrong-direction moves) in fog etc. Hence, it was never commissioned beyond Chipping Sodbury and the bits that had already been installed beyond there are gently rusting to this day.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Patchway- Bristol Parkway bi-directional signalling 21/05/2015 at 13:34 #72563
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
Mega-bump:

By coincidence these have been briefly mentioned on another forum. It turns out that the SIMBIDS seen elsewhere on Bristol panel was intended to continue beyond its present limits, however ASLEF started asking uncomfortable questions about the speed at which trains using it would be expected to travel without AWS (not provided for wrong-direction moves) in fog etc. Hence, it was never commissioned beyond Chipping Sodbury and the bits that had already been installed beyond there are gently rusting to this day.
I just began reading the thread from the top not realising it was an old one.

The only part of the bi-directional scheme from Bristol Parkway - Severn Tunnel Junction that was ever commissioned was between Pilning and Severn Tunnel Junction.

The section between Patchway and Pilning was never commissioned apart from Newport 264 signal, strange as nothing could ever approach it to use it.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer